Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:20 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times

Advertisements

For a job that I've recently interviewed with, I was told that I would most likely have a response the next day. Bascially I should have known sometime around the 21st of February or so. Since then I've sent a thank you letter, a follow up letter and today I sent another follow-up.

It sounds like I probably didn't get the job, but this was the 2nd interview! Shouldn't they, at least, give me a little bit of respect and send a short note telling me that they've chosen someone else? Hell, one of the interviewers was an acquaintance of my wife! I hope I'm not being too petty, but is it so difficult for companies to show just a little bit of respect to people who wish to work there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
They may be interviewing other candidates. Send the H.R manager an e-mail to put your mind at ease.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:38 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times
Thanks but I've sent emails to the three people who interviewed me and no response. Once again, I've probably not gotten the job. I just want to be acknowledged.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:00 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Same thing happened to me in the past. It's annoying as hell, but, what you gonna do?

It's common courtesy, I think, that if someone comes in for an in-person interview, that once the decision is made that you should notify that person. Good or bad. Acknowledging everyone who sends in a resume is impractical and a waste of time.. But if that person takes time out of their day to meet with you..

Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM

251 posts, read 342,056 times
The next day seems quick to come back with a yes or no. That being said, yes it is damn annoying when employers don't bother to follow up with candidates.

You followed up. You heard nothing. Don't worry about it and move on. Itis possible the position is still open and they are still interviewing but don't fret about it. If they come back to you later, just deal with it then. Otherwise move on.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Alas, there are too many variables at play, and beyond your control.

1) Interviewing other candidates may definitely be one
2) some sort of crisis-esque situation
3) They're too busy to give you the courtesy of updating you (and even then, I'd prefer a "we're still deciding on this" vs. silence
4) They really have move on, and while not always true, I'm told (and I've been reluctantly forced to agree with this, in my own experiences too) that if they really want you, they'll reach you sooner or later

Although it's not much consolation, if it's #3, you probably may not have wanted to work for such uncourteous folks, or a company that can't keep up with this sort of thing.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Keep yourself busy and don't get too caught up with it. It takes a lot of process and paperwork to get somebody hired before they can make you an offer. Sometimes one person on vacation can delay the answer.

If they sincerely want you they will call you back before you get hired by somewhere else so keep looking in the mean time.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM

402 posts, read 746,147 times
It could be anything, but in my experience, you are likely acceptable choice #2 or #3 and they won't let you off the hook until they've closed, either affirmatively or negatively, with the candidates ahead of you. Again, there are many possibilities, but that one is most likely.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,162 times
Annoying... but what can do you do?

Twice over the last month I've had a phone interview followed by a face interview a week or two later.... no response from either and no response to my follow up contact either.

Then I get contacted by a company at 3:30pm and they want to interview at 4:15pm the same day... so I'm thinking if they want to interview this quick I bet I have a good shot at the job...

... and I get hired.

The entire job hunting process is one big lottery ticket... You can get lucky and get a call from an employer who needs to fill the position today or you can get a call from an employer who has 6 months to fill the job and will take their time interviewing you and 350 other candidates.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Welcome to job hunting in 2014. Employers are very rude these days. Move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search