Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 AM

22 posts, read 69,830 times

Advertisements

Name a few things that frustrate you when it comes to job searching...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
Some applications are several pages & take a lot of time to fill out
If I am already working & looking for another job then attending calls & taking time off for interviews can be frustrating
When they don't list the company or location of the job because the recruiters want you to apply through them

Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
1- Online applications. I MUCH prefer to apply at smaller companies, where you can fill out a paper app and the employer can get at least a glance at you.
2- Those stupid questionnaire things, often some 50 pages long, that accomplish nothing. I noticed that lots of lower-end jobs use these, and I often wonder why.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:46 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 673,099 times
I'm going on 2 years of searching, with pretty good credentials. I'll leave it at these 3 frustrations, but could have plenty more:

1) Meeting all requirements listed in job ad (and then some). Having a pretty good interview with HR or the HM. Still getting rejected. Yeah, I know it's competitive. I don't even necessarily blame the hiring company. It's still frustrating all the same.

2) Recruiters flaking on scheduled phone interviews. Yes, emergencies happen. I'm an actual live person. Explain it to me, details not required. I will understand. This year, the worst is when a recruiter scheduled a phone interview on my birthday. Didn't call, then proceeded to ignore my 2 followup attempts. Happy birthday! lol
Had a corporate (not third party/staffing agency) recruiter initiate contact with me last week (I didn't apply. She found me). She skipped the first scheduled time. Replied to my followup with a "Definitely calling today". Proceeded to skip again. I gave up on her.

3) Submitting my info to some ATS. Then having my status eternally stuck on "Submitted" or "Pending" or something like that. Not interested? Mark me as rejected in your ATS and we all move on. I move on regardless after some time, but this would provide better closure. Some actually do make use of the status. I like that. I like closure.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 AM

23,550 posts, read 24,057,818 times
1/ Going through 3-4 rounds of interviews (spending hours) and never hearing back. At least, have the courtesy to say no.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 AM

23,550 posts, read 24,057,818 times
I once interviewed with a company 4 times, had a verbal offer, then silence. A few weeks later, HR calls and tells me that I need to re-interview with a new VP that they just hired. Came in, interviewed and then silence. I gave up on them.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 AM

67 posts, read 64,127 times
See my current posts...

Old 12-18-2014, 08:58 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post
I'm going on 2 years of searching, with pretty good credentials. I'll leave it at these 3 frustrations, but could have plenty more:

1) Meeting all requirements listed in job ad (and then some). Having a pretty good interview with HR or the HM. Still getting rejected. Yeah, I know it's competitive. I don't even necessarily blame the hiring company. It's still frustrating all the same.

2) Recruiters flaking on scheduled phone interviews. Yes, emergencies happen. I'm an actual live person. Explain it to me, details not required. I will understand. This year, the worst is when a recruiter scheduled a phone interview on my birthday. Didn't call, then proceeded to ignore my 2 followup attempts. Happy birthday! lol
Had a corporate (not third party/staffing agency) recruiter initiate contact with me last week (I didn't apply. She found me). She skipped the first scheduled time. Replied to my followup with a "Definitely calling today". Proceeded to skip again. I gave up on her.

3) Submitting my info to some ATS. Then having my status eternally stuck on "Submitted" or "Pending" or something like that. Not interested? Mark me as rejected in your ATS and we all move on. I move on regardless after some time, but this would provide better closure. Some actually do make use of the status. I like that. I like closure.
Pretty much all this, though I've been searching for about a year. I tried to get out of the field I was in and missed the spring hiring season in the field I was trying to get out of. To top it off, I'm over 50 and overweight. Can't do anything about #1 (though I do color my hair to hide the grey). I'm working on #2, but it's hard when I'm so stressed about money and finding a job (and some other issues I won't mention) to eat perfectly all the time. I've had a lot of interviews and I'm sure I haven't gotten some of them due to my age and appearance. Waiting to hear on a couple of jobs that I interviewed for, in the field I was trying to leave, but probably won't hear until after Christmas. It gets hard to stay positive.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
No salary range listed whatsoever. I understand the rationale for this (everything thinks they should be at the top of the range) but it is a waste of both my time and the employer's time if I am considered for jobs that are incompatible with my compensation requirements.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM

191 posts, read 485,935 times
No follow-up to my applications (ie closure).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search