Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:27 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,543 times

Advertisements

I work for a staffing agency mainly staffing warehouse workers. A lot of the times the candidates we place come in late. Today I even had one candidate show up an hour and half late because he got "lost" and another person who didn't even show and when I contacted her she said she forgot and would like to reschedule. No one apologized and I think they're lying...I would've "blocked" then in our system if the client wasn't desperate to fill openings. This happens too often, and to be honest I think it's because of the demographics.
It's not even an interview but an appointment because THEY ARE getting the JOB.
Not saying all warehouse workers are lazy, irresponsible, and rude...but when you're dealing with companies/positions that allow drop outs or those with misdemeanors or history on their criminal record then I think it's a bit different. Don't get me wrong I've had nurses stand me up but not as much as my job now.

Anyways, do you even say anything to them? Like in a firm but still professional way how it's unacceptable and warn them their habits will not be good wit the client? Or would that be not my place?

I'm pretty new to this role. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by Michelle21689; 01-02-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
It's par for the course with warehouse workers.

However ... does your company not have a policy re: this???

I would say something to them. Just remind them of the time they are supposed to be there. They cannot hear the message enough times: Lateness or flaking is unacceptable.

But your company should have guidelines.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:47 PM

Not really with meeting with us. With clients and the guidelines , yes...

Old 01-02-2015, 08:49 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
I used to run a place that was a client of agencies like yours. Many of the temps sent to me by the agency had terrible work habits. Arriving late was terribly common.

I dealt with it by being a hard-asx. If I needed 40 employees, I would ask for 60-70 with the intention of ruthlessly cutting people for infractions such as being late. Every temp sent my way was given an orientation sheet by the agency. It listed my dress code (pretty minimal), my address, the date/time/duration of their orientation, a few other expectations and duties. One expectation that I listed was that I would not tolerate lateness for any reason, and being late would result in immediate termination.

Despite this I would have about 1/3 of all temps show up late, be immediately terminated, and then get angry at me.

It was a pretty easy test for reliability, and the majority of people who could show up on time consistently were usually good workers.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:13 PM

I understand that. Clients usually are more strict. But it doesn't really answer the question. I mean, do you directly address that issue to them or not say anything?

Old 01-02-2015, 11:10 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
I understand that. Clients usually are more strict. But it doesn't really answer the question. I mean, do you directly address that issue to them or not say anything?
I am very direct about such things. I point out that I included the necessity to be on time in their orientation package. I tell them that they were X minutes late, which means that they are fired. End of discussion.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
I work for a staffing agency mainly staffing warehouse workers. A lot of the times the candidates we place come in late. Today I even had one candidate show up an hour and half late because he got "lost" and another person who didn't even show and when I contacted her she said she forgot and would like to reschedule. No one apologized and I think they're lying...I would've "blocked" then in our system if the client wasn't desperate to fill openings. This happens too often, and to be honest I think it's because of the demographics.
It's not even an interview but an appointment because THEY ARE getting the JOB.
Not saying all warehouse workers are lazy, irresponsible, and rude...but when you're dealing with companies/positions that allow drop outs or those with misdemeanors or history on their criminal record then I think it's a bit different. Don't get me wrong I've had nurses stand me up but not as much as my job now.

Anyways, do you even say anything to them? Like in a firm but still professional way how it's unacceptable and warn them their habits will not be good wit the client? Or would that be not my place?

I'm pretty new to this role. Any advice appreciated.
I'm a white-collar professional who shows up for interviews in a business suit (I'm female). If I even think that I'm going to be five minutes late, I call and explain.

99% of the time, I'm there early. Not ridiculously early, but 10-15 minutes early.

Showing up late is unacceptable unless you have a good reason. "A semi turned over and started a propane fire that closed the highway." (That actually happened in DFW today.) THAT'S a reasonable excuse.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:07 AM

743 posts, read 832,607 times
I would personally not show up late or make excuses like them, but it is a complete poverty job on a likely road to nowhere. You can't expect them to be enthused about it. I tried a staffing agency and literally all they offered were poverty jobs such as that and I just politely decline them since my degree and experience are far above that (though the job market is so terrible where I am that I may just be forced to eat a slice of humble, grumpy pie).

Old 01-03-2015, 12:18 AM

908 posts, read 961,542 times
i would say something to them. i mean, not arriving late to a first meeting/class/job is ideally something we all should have learned by 7th grade but some people may never have heard this lesson.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Absolutely say something. I'd go with:

"Keep this in mind, if you show up late like this to the warehouse, they'll send you home and call me for the next person on the list. If you are going to want to keep this job, you're going to have to act like it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search