Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 02:34 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has ever responded to an ad in the "gigs" section of Craigslist for odd jobs like moving boxes, doing office work for a day, etc. I know that most of that section is cluttered with adult oriented gigs, but I'm wondering if weekend or day type non adult oriented gigs have worked out for you all? What are the chances that after a day of unloading or moving boxes, the person doesn't pay? I suppose there's no recourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:39 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Gigs on Craigslist
Like all of the CL sections ...quality seems to depend on the City.

Some areas of the country have better users than others
or at least more that will respect the sections when they post or reply.
Quote:
Just curious if anyone has ever responded to an ad in the "gigs" section of Craigslist
for odd jobs like moving boxes, doing office work for a day, etc.
I'm someone who will advertise for help on gigs.
Usually straight labor (shovel/wheelbarrow level); sometimes skilled (carpenter).

It mostly works out if you're willing to weed through the crap responders.
Over qualified looking for more (control, wages, etc) than asked are a worse problem
than the drunks and bums who can't find a days work anywhere else.

Quote:
What are the chances that after a day of unloading or moving boxes, the person doesn't pay?
Low.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:34 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
I didn't even know there was a "Gigs" section on CL until I saw this thread. I just took a look at it and feel like I need a shower.

Craigslist. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I'd say go for it (if you don't mind being murdered potentially).

Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I didn't even know there was a "Gigs" section on CL until I saw this thread.
I just took a look at it and feel like I need a shower.
phoenix labor gigs - craigslist
Life must be so wonderful up on your mountain

Old 01-08-2015, 12:11 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Life must be so wonderful up on your mountain
I didn't say they were all bad. Look at some of the other subheadings.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:10 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
My SO has been screwed with pay one time too many to do jobs on there anymore. People wanting skilled work for day labor price,con artist contractors that pay you the first day then get you to agree to work rest of week. Catch is that Friday they are long gone and there isn't really any legal recourse. People who want you to drive an hour to look at a deck,talk about it another hour then drop off the face of earth........

Old 01-09-2015, 09:56 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
I've posted on gigs when I first bought my home. I have paid every single person who came to work on my property. I paid cash too. It comes down to the person who hires you. I didn't hired the cheapest and I didn't hired the most expensive either. I went the middle road.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:30 AM

359 posts, read 476,990 times
I have had good experiences on both ends of it. Hiring people for my company and picking up gigs while I was in college.

Hell, one of the gigs I picked up turned into my business that I run from home and has revenue of about 10k per month. All of the labor I use for this business? Sourced on craigslist gigs section.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:47 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
If you are LOOKING for extra work, I'd say don't waste your time if you live in MA. I used to spend days responding to ads where people needed stuff done like that. Never got a single response and the reason why is because there are thousands of people looking for any kind of work they can find and people get jammed with responses. Just like I heard someone on the radio saying they put an ad for some help cleaning out an attic and they had 50 responses within the hour.

Lots of unemployed guys looking for work. That simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search