Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 02:25 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,254 times

Advertisements

Hey all, just curious what I should do in the situation I'm in.

Was about to be moved over to a new, nighttime schedule (largely, because it's an undesirable position that I'm good at during the regular daytime hours, they were hoping I would just do it, etc). at work that would have conflicted w/my school schedule, on somewhat short notice. Being unwilling to drop out of school, I put in a 2 week notice without even having a job lined up (And they know this). The next day, I was told there was no guarantee, but that they might demote someone else to the position I was about to be moved to, and move me into their spot to get me to stay (same schedule, but better role w/slightly higher pay).

Obviously, I'm looking around anyway, but a bit torn about what to do in this situation. It's generally considered a poor move to accept a counter-offer to stay with a company when you have another offer lined up, but is my situation different? I'm not exactly in a position financially to turn down a decent offer, as I can only go so long without work, and may have to take a lower starting pay rate if I go somewhere else (Plus, I do not want to waste other employers time by turning down job/interview offers if things can work out where I'm at for awhile longer). Would it be a bad idea to take my current employers offer if they do follow through on it? (I'll know if it's on the table by the middle of next week).

I'm still willing to walk away if need be in the future for the sake of my education, but I like the job and the people I work with enough to stick around for awhile longer too. I know companies can be pretty ruthless about how they run things though, so I need to know if this situation is any different than a counter-offer for when you've found another job? Thanks for any advice! In the worst case scenario, I would at least be leaving the company w/a good reference from a boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 03:12 PM

587 posts, read 915,984 times
I would take it. I would continue my job search, though, because it sounds like these people play kind of fast and loose with their employees.

Would you have to supervise the person they are demoting?

Old 01-10-2015, 03:34 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
I would take it. I would continue my job search, though, because it sounds like these people play kind of fast and loose with their employees.

Would you have to supervise the person they are demoting?
It wouldn't be a supervisory role, but I wasn't planning on getting too comfortable anyway. Still gotta find out which university I'll (hopefully) be transferring to in the fall for junior year undergrad courses, and I'm not yet sure if it will mean staying where I am and working full-time while going to school, or moving away to somewhere else. It's important for me to leave on a good note whenever I do though (Whether now or later on), as I may be working in the same industry after I have a degree. It's a small world, after all!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:21 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
I would stay until there is an actual change. Then I would quit.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:07 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
I'd take their offer. Honestly, I think you were way too hasty just quitting without trying to work out an alternative first. You won't get anything advantageous to you (better schedule, raise, assigned to a more interesting project, etc. etc. etc.) if you aren't willing to simply ask for it.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:42 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I would never counter-offer nor accept if offered one. The company knows you were looking and will probably get rid of you at the first opportunity.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:42 AM

587 posts, read 915,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I would never counter-offer nor accept if offered one. The company knows you were looking and will probably get rid of you at the first opportunity.
I agree with that in most cases, but this seems like a special circumstance. OP has nothing else lined up and isn't going to stay here for the long haul anyway. If OP gets laid off or decides to leave six months from now, at least there will be six months more paychecks in the bank.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
It would be unwise to leave before having a job. Take it and keep looking.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:34 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Take the counter offer.

I think that the conventional wisdom of never accepting a counter is simply incorrect. I have done so twice before and put in several more years at each company quite happily.

In my current position most wages are frozen because the state economy is still struggling to recover from the 2007-2008 recession. The only way most people can get a raise is to threaten to leave.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
As everyone stated take the counter. Keep looking. Better to have a job than none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search