Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times

Advertisements

I once left a job abruptly because one of my coworkers pulled a gun on another one. That's was it for me.

I didn't care if they did say "ineligible for rehire," to future employers checking references. I was out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,392,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I once left a job abruptly because one of my coworkers pulled a gun on another one. That's was it for me.

I didn't care if they did say "ineligible for rehire," to future employers checking references. I was out of there.
LOL. Hearing that while interviewing someone would give them a pass for quitting with no notice.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. Hearing that while interviewing someone would give them a pass for quitting with no notice.
It was one of my more memorable jobs and I've had some doozies.

Nearly everyone has worked in a crazy place. I just said, "It was not a good fit for me," when asked why I left that job. No one seemed to mind.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,429,389 times
If the OP has heard that her former managers are saying terrible things about her then they're saying things far worse than she left with no notice. There's a reason most employers won't offer opinions during a reference check; there's a very fine line between opinions and slander and it sounds like they've crossed that line into slander. If I were the OP, I would pay the service another poster mentioned to find out exactly what the former managers are saying and if it's anything more than left with no notice and we would not hire her back, then I would take that info to a lawyer.

Of course, it's best to never leave a position without notice, but that ship has sailed so at this point the OP needs to mitigate the damage.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 PM

105 posts, read 107,893 times
Thumbs up Solution

Many county government jobs do not check past employers.
Before applying for a job call HR as someone else and tell them you are interested in a job there. Then tell them the job you last worked for closed and you have no reference for them. They will then let you know if they check.
Another option is to change fields completely.
Or claim self employment as past jobs.
DO NOT LIST BAD REFERENCES!
I know because I have used the above techniques sucessfully.
Good luck,

Old 01-15-2015, 02:39 PM

227 posts, read 393,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
the companies contact my old employers who say not to hire me.
What are you basing this ("(they) say not to hire me") on? Are you just assuming that they're bad mouthing you, simply because you haven't gotten the jobs? Are are you certain that they're saying not to hire you?

I would think they may simply be saying "Yes, the employee worked for us from this date until that date, and they quite without giving notice". That's not bad mouthing you, or saying not to hire you - it's just mentioning your standing at the company. The companies you're interviewing for, they hear that story from both of your most recent HR departments, and they make a decision not to hire you because they have other qualified candidates.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
So I've been unemployed for almost three years. It's not for a lack of applying. I was blackballed by my two former employers for quitting without notice. I hated my bosses and coworkers and they hated me. So I quit. I can't omit these employers because they take up five years of work history. Prior to quiting there were never any complaints about my work it just wasn't a good cultural fit at either place. Each of them actually asked me to stay when Ingave notice, So over the last few years I've made it through many interview processes mainly to the last round of three or four rounds and instead of calling references that I provide the companies contact my old employers who say not to hire me. They never even reach out to the references that I list only to the company HR TEAMS and prior managers

So I recently had an phone interview with a HR manager for a corporate position. That goes well and he tells me the hiring manager is apprehensive about speaking to me since I haven't worked in so long, I can understand that. He goes on to say that the hiring manager will not even grant me an interview unless I provide him the names of my last two managers to call. I hated each of my last managers but would be willing to provide references from organizations that I've volunteered at over the last couple years. He says no he wants my hiring managers info before he will even schedule a phone interview with me and the hiring manager. What would you do?

How long should a person be punished for leaving a job or jobs on bad terms?
Employers are making a negative judgement about your behavior. I wouldn't hire someone with your record.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:25 PM

154 posts, read 261,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Employers are making a negative judgement about your behavior. I wouldn't hire someone with your record.
I can understand a company's perspective if I was a complete loser who never accomplished anything in life. But how long should I suffer for quiting a job that I wasn't contracted to be at forever. It was at will employment. Plus it's like a marriage just because I walked out and divorced one person because of the way they acted towards me should I never find love again because the person is saying what I did without taking responsibility for their role. Employers should realize that 99% of the world won't leave a happy good situation just for the heck of it. Obviously my employers did something's to push be to the point of leaving. Why won't or don't employers think we'll what did the last company do to make him or her behave that way. When someone tells me about things someone did to them I always think we'll what did you do to make them do that to you. My natural instinct is to hold everyone accountable.... Two sides is all I'm saying

Old 01-15-2015, 03:29 PM

154 posts, read 261,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
What are you basing this ("(they) say not to hire me") on? Are you just assuming that they're bad mouthing you, simply because you haven't gotten the jobs? Are are you certain that they're saying not to hire you?

I would think they may simply be saying "Yes, the employee worked for us from this date until that date, and they quite without giving notice". That's not bad mouthing you, or saying not to hire you - it's just mentioning your standing at the company. The companies you're interviewing for, they hear that story from both of your most recent HR departments, and they make a decision not to hire you because they have other qualified candidates.
No I've been given a few more details than that as described earlier in the thread. Plus I worked at one of the companies for three years and heard one of my managers bad mouth many of his old employees. He wasn't the last manager that I had working for the firm so I wasn't too concerned about him. The place was toxic and if you lend any of the HR people and most of the individual managers an ear they'll give you more than an earful.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,145,152 times
If you were twice-divorced and you asked me to marry you, I'd have to pause for thought.

Were you unlucky to have two crappy mates in a row?
Or do you simply have bad judgement?
Or are you high maintenance and really hard to get along with?

Now, add to this the fact there are other people who are also asking for my hand in marriage without all this baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search