Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 12:10 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,323 times

Advertisements

How does being direct = bad boss?

You seem to be looking for excuses before you even interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 01:07 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I am working right now and am looking for another position. I found a company interested in interviewing me through a headhunter. The headhunter prepped me for the interview next week. He has experience dealing with the company. He said the workload and hours were reasonable. The duties he described were ideal. The commute is fine. He has had no complaints from others he has placed there.

However, he said the hiring manager has told him that she can be to direct and apparently in the beginning of interviews can intimidate certain people. He said he has had no problems with her and vice versa. Hmm, I am thinking this person might not be good to work for. Being direct and thinking they intimidate people at beginning of interviews shows the hiring manager is aware she lacks people skills and comes off as a jerk. So why has she not changed? Seems like a red flag. I am thinking, maybe I'm cynical, of not going on the interview now because I don't want to be stuck working for a bad boss. I don't want to waste my time.

What do others think? Even if we hit it off in the interview, I don't want to deal with drama once I start working there.

Why don't you try going to the interview and see how she is for yourself? Please remember that interviews are not just an opportunity for the business to see if you're a good fit, it is also a chance for you to see if the business is a good fit for you.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
It's a great bit of info to have before going into the interview because then you would be prepared "for the worse" and won't perceive the HM's directness as something personal. She's like that with everyone.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
In other words, she does not beat around the bush trying to make friends with the person being interviewed making small talk. She is going to ask some difficult questions, and get to know the abilities of the person she is interviewing right from the start, not taking half an hour buttering up the applicant and trying to make the applicant feel at home. Posters often complain, about HM that spends so much time trying to make a friend they never really get into the job itself. They feel if they could only communicate their ability to do the job, instead of the HM looking at their personality they would have a better chance to get a job. This one sounds like she is not going to play games, and wants to get right to your ability to handle the job. They are not going to take two hours in an interview, if it can be done in 30 minutes with someone they feel is a good fit for the job.

Sounds like a good HM to me. This is the type of interview that I think should always be given.

The recruiter told you, that he has placed people there before and they are happy working there, so the bosses must not be real bad.

Go to the interview, prepared to talk to a serious person who is not afraid to ask questions and make a decision. You will probably be hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search