Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:13 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times

Advertisements

Seems like it be beneficial on both parts. Curious what benefit would play out seeing someone during an interview. Also gives the recruiter more flexibility and seems to eliminate bias. Also would give flexibility to the individual going to the interview.

Right now in job training for a new job, but went to one interview with the department manager for the job after work hour's. Have a second one with human resources this time, but only time is during HR hour's. Would I be in the wrong if asking if possible to do the interview via the phone?

Appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by RunD1987; 02-08-2015 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:28 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I was laid off in 2012, and got a new position. I did many interviews. The standard was the introductory phone interview with hr or other person.... then if I was a fit. They would call me in for a face to face.

Most interviews were like that.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
why do you think phone interview is better? Unless it is not in the same city, what advantages does phone interviews have? It saves "driving" time for you, but the company doesn't get to see how you present yourself.

I personally prefer interviewing in person (as the person being interviewed, not the employer), so I can meet the people that I'll be working with, tour the place, etc.

Plus there's something to be said about having a good handshake, even if it isn't something on a checklist to mark.

edit: though, for myself, I've always felt like in the interview, I was deciding if I "wanted" to work for them as well. I don't feel like I am selling myself to the employer in the interview, they have to sell themselves to me as well. Namely, I've never been so in need of a job that I wouldn't turn it down if I didn't like their setup. I've roughly turned down as many jobs that I've been offered as the number of jobs that I've accepted since I graduated in 2010.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:38 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
They use the first, or first few interviews as a screening interview (develop a short list of candidates). It would be very time consuming to hold a face to face with every candidate.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Default re

Most places do phone screens first then if all goes well the candidate is invited in for a face to face. We recently interviewed someone for a tech role and her resume was great, her phone screens were great but when she came in she was a complete nut. She was greeted by hr and when asked what job r u here for she said, I don't know. That was just the beginning

Old 02-08-2015, 09:24 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I was laid off in 2012, and got a new position. I did many interviews. The standard was the introductory phone interview with hr or other person.... then if I was a fit. They would call me in for a face to face.

Most interviews were like that.
They are.Get used to it op.They test your mannerism, knowledge, and resourcefulness.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have done a few phone interviews as an exception for someone not in the area on the days available, but have never hired anyone based on it. Meeting in person provides a lot more information about the candidate that is valuable in making the decision. For me the biggest is body language, watching their face and hand movements while you ask and they answer the questions can reveal a lot about them. Appearance can also be important for many jobs, and by that I mean clothing and grooming. Limiting to "in-person" interviews does also allow an opportunity for discrimination, but even for the applicant not in a protected class, appearance can make a difference in whether the person would "fit in". For example, the person never smiles, has multiple obvious tattoos or piercings, brightly colored hair, or is too obese to fit in the available cubicle.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:57 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
They use the first, or first few interviews as a screening interview (develop a short list of candidates). It would be very time consuming to hold a face to face with every candidate.
Pretty much this. They do a phone screen to whittle down the applicants, and then face to faces with their top candidates, then usually they either make a choice or if it's a close call or they want a final interview just to reassure themselves of the candidate, they'll call someone back in for round 2.

From what I've read/seen it's something like this:

Job Posted Online
- 200+- Applicants - Only accounts first 200 (or whatever number) applicants. System gets rid of those who are not even qualified.
- 60+- Applicants - person gets rid of those who are clearly not fit.
- 20+- Applicants - phone screen for either cultural "fit" or most likely, skillset, qualifications.
- 10+- Applicants - face to face interview for cultural fit.

And then from there it's extremely personalized depending on the results. Sometimes there are questionnaires that I've seen in between the phone screen and f2f, or before/after either one.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
It's easier to reject people they have never seen.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 AM

332 posts, read 868,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
why do you think phone interview is better? Unless it is not in the same city, what advantages does phone interviews have? It saves "driving" time for you, but the company doesn't get to see how you present yourself.

I personally prefer interviewing in person (as the person being interviewed, not the employer), so I can meet the people that I'll be working with, tour the place, etc.

Plus there's something to be said about having a good handshake, even if it isn't something on a checklist to mark.

edit: though, for myself, I've always felt like in the interview, I was deciding if I "wanted" to work for them as well. I don't feel like I am selling myself to the employer in the interview, they have to sell themselves to me as well. Namely, I've never been so in need of a job that I wouldn't turn it down if I didn't like their setup. I've roughly turned down as many jobs that I've been offered as the number of jobs that I've accepted since I graduated in 2010.
Agreed! Too many companies since they are getting sooooooooooooooooooo many applicants are doing phone interviews first. Which is a way they weed out anyone that doesn't sound good on the phone. It can also be a way to easily discriminate based on if they have an accent or not! and if you get nervous on the phone since you are not face to face it will show easily with your pauses which feel like an eternity when you are on the phone. However your presence, professional appearance, and the way you are polite do not show at all since you are just speaking. I personally suck at phone interviews but in person I am quite charming. When I called back one lady to ask why I was rejected and if I could apply for another position after a phone interview she told me sure and to hold for a sec and that she'd be right back. I was on hold for maybe 15 minutes until someone else picked up the phone which was her assistant who told me she could not give out that info. So unprofessional and rude of the phone lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search