Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:07 AM

491 posts, read 471,951 times

Advertisements

Does it feel great?

I've never hired or interviewed, obviously, and don't know if I could do it for the same reason I don't know if I could be a boss: I'd feel awful.

So, does it feel good or interesting to interview someone, then they get nothing?

Interested to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I'm more curious how it feels to sit there and spout off HR-type psychobabble with a straight face. I cringe listening to it so I can't imagine myself actually bringing myself down to the level where I could do it and not want to put a paper bag over my head.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Why would it feel good? The vast majority of people who are interviewed are not hired. It just is. It is business. Sometimes you are happy to get a single viable candidate, while other times you could hire just about anyone you interviewed and probably do alright, but you only have one vacancy, so a bunch of potentially good candidates get told "no thanks."

Old 02-03-2015, 07:22 AM

491 posts, read 471,951 times
LOL...it must feel powerful to tell someone, "NO! You can't has job!"

lol. I had a bad day, so I told the interviewer..."NO!"

Old 02-03-2015, 07:26 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I am not a manager, but I've interviewed probably fifteen or twenty candidates in the year I've been at my current job for various roles. We do group interviews.

There were candidates I immediately disliked and most of my team also got the same impression. One guy was fresh out of college and constantly reminded me of how many clubs he headed, that his parents were big in the banking industry, etc. I talked to him for about ten minutes and had enough.

There were some I was really indifferent toward, and didn't care either way where they got the job or not.

There were one or two I really liked, but they didn't get the job. One I was indifferent toward got the job. One guy I really liked got the job. If I put in a "no" vote, it was just business (except for the one person I mentioned) and I never thought another thing about it.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:28 AM

62 posts, read 70,059 times
No it doesn't. When there are some nice kids trying hard you actually feel bad for them for giving the change to somebody else, and you truly hope they get something else good. It is not personal, it is just business, not everybody make the team and if you interview an handful than you have to choose who you think is the best candidate, while the second best would also probably do fine if they where chosen. It is hard to rank people because sometimes from the short amount of time spent in the interview there is not that much difference in the response from two good candidates.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post

"Powerful"? Not in the least. It's plain and simple business - finding the right person for the position - and emotion doesn't even remotely come into the picture.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post

While the position is one of some power, it does not make one feel "powerful." To try and make that connection is actually pretty silly and shows a lack of critical thinking skills and maturity.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I personally love it. The moment you walked in with your weak 'why me' attitude I knew you would not get the job. I enjoyed watching you sweat while you answered fake questions I made up just to watch you squirm. Enjoy being unemployed!

Old 02-03-2015, 07:56 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
I have yet to meet anyone that enjoys interviewing candidates and no one I know likes to tell most people they did not get the job. These are people who are trying to better their situation, and while they may not work for me or my company that does not mean they are not good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search