Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 PM

897 posts, read 1,182,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
OTOH, I also sometimes was led to wonder why an unsuccessful candidate came across so well on paper, but misfired so badly in the interview. I have wished there was a way to communicate that directly, but there's no way you can do that without incurring the wrath of your HR folks in today's world.
At my old job someone came in for an interview. I worked in HR and was friends with the receptionist, so heard a few stories. The person was asked "So, why the natural gases industry?" To which the interviewee responded, "I like the smell of gas."

Obviously did not get the job. That's just one example, but I doubt enough people are giving off crazy answers like that to be disqualified from jobs, or so that the "normal" candidate is the obvious choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,315,547 times
i've interviewed a lot of people

It feels bad not hiring the guys who are very enthusiastic about working at your company, but simply do not have the right skills.

There is a strangely large number of people who interview but don't seem to even want the job they are interviewing for. When you turn them down you don't really feel much of anything.

It feels weird turning someone down when someone at work refers their friend and they fit into one of the categories I mentioned. You feel a little bad if it's the enthusiastic friend, and if it's the lump on a log type of guy, you wonder why your co-worker even did the referral.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:17 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What about the other person who the hiring manager did offer a job? What do you say about that?

If there is one job advertised but 3 qualified people apply, what would you do? How many applicants would you hire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I just think it sucks that people's capricious whims can literally mean someone has no income, no way to pay rent, no way to eat.
Which avoids my question entirely.

Put yourself in the position of hiring manager for just a moment. What would you do if you could hire one person and had 3 good applicants!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:38 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I have 6-8 open positions a year. This means I review 200-500 resumes annually, interview 30-50 people, and hire 6-8 people. I don't get any sort of joy or power rush from rejecting people, but I have to do a lot of it. It really isn't about denying anybody a pay check, it is about getting a job done.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-03-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 09:46 PM

491 posts, read 472,649 times
I could never reject someone, and that's why I don't do interviews. That, and I've never been able to do them. I don't know how I'd handle knowing I was the reason someone didn't get hired. Not sure how I'd handle knowing I was the reason someone was heartbroken. Don't think I could handle knowing I was the reason someone had to go home and tell their kids that it was going to be ramen and toast for dinner again.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:48 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,359,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I could never reject someone, and that's why I don't do interviews. That, and I've never been able to do them. I don't know how I'd handle knowing I was the reason someone didn't get hired.
Since you have no experience interviewing, you don't really have a good understanding of why people aren't hired. The interviewer is not the reason that people aren't hired. The interviewee is the reason. Frankly, the interviewee did not meet the requirements, oversold themselves on their resume, or just was a poor fit. So, as an interview, you only have to worry about being disappointed in the candidates.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I am sorry that you can only see the negative in employment. You could have turned it around and realized that I was able to offer jobs to 6 people, so six families were able to pay the rent, buy xmas presents, and see the doctor.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-03-2015 at 10:37 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,660,533 times
To paraphrase what one of the wise posters here wrote to me earlier, some people are their own worst enemies.

To suggest that hiring managers are the cause for some people not getting jobs, and to say it's all a popularity contest, shows a level of immaturity that is impossible to reason with.

I think most hiring managers would agree - people with sucky attitudes don't get hired.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:28 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,312,400 times
I felt nothing. So going by that standard after i'm done interviewing somebody they are forgotten about so fast it's like I never knew them at all. It's the person I interview that I get a good feeling from that I pursue.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:31 PM

897 posts, read 1,182,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I felt nothing. So going by that standard after i'm done interviewing somebody they are forgotten about so fast it's like I never knew them at all. It's the person I interview that I get a good feeling from that I pursue.
How many interviewees give you a "good vibe"? How many make you feel like you can just "go with the vibes, brah?" Last question: How's your turnover at your place of business. I hope those good vibrations and rockin' feelings paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search