Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:58 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,113,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
It feels like the hiring manager let me down by not giving me a chance.
What about the other person who the hiring manager did offer a job? What do you say about that?

If there is one job advertised but 3 qualified people apply, what would you do? How many applicants would you hire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:59 PM

491 posts, read 473,471 times
I just think it sucks that people's capricious whims can literally mean someone has no income, no way to pay rent, no way to eat.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,364,155 times
Quote:
I just think it sucks that people's capricious whims can literally mean someone has no income, no way to pay rent, no way to eat.
I don't see how that is the case. Sure, for the short-term, getting let go, can reduce your income, but that's why there is unemployment insurance to hold you over. No one is stopping you from starting a business and earning income.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:10 PM

491 posts, read 473,471 times
What if you have no money to start a business?

What if you are denied unemployment, or it runs out?

Then what?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,364,155 times
Quote:

Then what?
Unemployment lasts for 6 months in most states. It's unlikely to run out before you're able to put together a solid business plan to present to a bank for a small business loan. It only takes 10-12 hours/day for about 6 weeks to get a business plan together.

If you're competent, your business plan will earn you a small business loan.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:22 PM

12,116 posts, read 23,405,788 times
Quote:

Then what?
It is not an employer's job to give a job to everyone who knocks on their door. You are butt hurt because you didn't get a job. Fine. We get that. You've received answers from plenty of hiring managers who have told you that no one gets any joy out of not hiring people, it is simply business, and it is impossible to hire everyone who wants a job.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,706,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Unemployment lasts for 6 months in most states. It's unlikely to run out before you're able to put together a solid business plan to present to a bank for a small business loan. It only takes 10-12 hours/day for about 6 weeks to get a business plan together.

If you're competent, your business plan will earn you a small business loan.

With all due respect, telling someone with a negative attitude to start a business is like telling someone who sits on the couch watching television every waking hour to go run a marathon. If they had it in them to run a marathon they wouldn't be stuck on the couch in the first place.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,207,784 times
I think I'd have to say that I have lamented the waste of the interviewee's time and the waste of the employer's money to get the person there, if there was reimbursement involved. I also lamented the waste of my coworkers time, if they were in on the interview.

OTOH, I also sometimes was led to wonder why an unsuccessful candidate came across so well on paper, but misfired so badly in the interview. I have wished there was a way to communicate that directly, but there's no way you can do that without incurring the wrath of your HR folks in today's world.

I've been an interviewee more recently than I've been an interviewer, but have probably done more time hiring than interviewing. IMO, it really does help your own interview skills to have had the experience of sitting on the other side of the table.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:49 PM

12,933 posts, read 9,201,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I think I'd have to say that I have lamented the waste of the interviewee's time and the waste of the employer's money to get the person there, if there was reimbursement involved. I also lamented the waste of my coworkers time, if they were in on the interview.

OTOH, I also sometimes was led to wonder why an unsuccessful candidate came across so well on paper, but misfired so badly in the interview. I have wished there was a way to communicate that directly, but there's no way you can do that without incurring the wrath of your HR folks in today's world.
This. What I feel mostly is drained. The amount of energy that goes into reviewing, interviewing, and then potentially selecting/not selecting is just exhausting. Esp when you spend the effort to define a position and then when you get to the interviews -- nothing. Nobody fits. Or worse, no one is even close. Then you start playing everything over in your mind. Did I define the job right? Was the announcement poorly written? Did I write poor interview questions? Or are we just unable to get qualified candidates to interview with us?

Just exhausting.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:56 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,348,536 times
Quote:
Does it feel great?

I've never hired or interviewed, obviously, and don't know if I could do it for the same reason I don't know if I could be a boss: I'd feel awful.

So, does it feel good or interesting to interview someone, then they get nothing?

Interested to hear.
I don't give it much thought. It neither makes me feel good nor bad; I hire the person who's going to be the best fit and I assume that if the people I don't hire are worth anything, they'll find a place where they do fit. Many times, it's just not the right time or not what they're looking for, or what we're looking for. Often has little to do with ability in and of itself. I just assume they'll keep looking and get what they're after, and honestly, if an interview with me is a matter of life and death or if it's going to send them into a deep downward spiral...I probably wouldn't want them around anyway for reasons that oughtta be obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search