Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,172,845 times

Advertisements

Don't put all of your eggs into one basket and don't get too emotionally involved into an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 PM

274 posts, read 679,893 times
My husband just had this happen to him YESTERDAY. Had a wonderful job interview. lasted over 2 hours. were talking with him, showing him around, telling home how they needed someone with his skill set and language abilities (he's trilingual with an Engineering M.A!), and said he'd know by the end of this week...and TODAY he got the rejection. They SUPREMELY buttered him up, had him thinking it was in the bag, the whole 9 yards, for NOTHING. The recruiter even said "they loved you but you are overqualified and they're putting the job on hold?" WHat does THAT MEAN! He said he'd be happy to start out in the field, making less than what his degree says he's worth, just to get his foot in the door! and they put the job on hold? Who's fooling who? Is this a scam? Is this a fake job post where they HAVE to post it and interview people by law when someone is already slated for the position and then they just give some lame-o excuse? Do enlighten me because he's pretty deflated. I get what you're feeling. It's not fun. It's very demoralizing.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:01 PM

347 posts, read 428,901 times
i think as an applicant it's easy to feel like you have the job in the bag because the interviewer(s) seem to like you personally. And many hiring managers don't have extensive experience in hiring and so forget that while they are casually throwing out praise that the candidate often takes it to heart, and that many candidates try and read into and interpret every comment or gesture by the hiring manager.

It's why as others have pointed out, it's critical to move on after each interview and look for other opportunities.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:02 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,487,051 times
This'll happen a lot. Sometimes, they had another candidate, or whatever. (or, they secretly just filled it and didn't want to embarrass themselves in admitting they didn't keep on top of it). OTOH, if you believe the compliments about your resume were sincere, that's a good sign you're on the right path. It really is a numbers game. Keep plugging away!

On the other hand, it's possible to come out of a job interview thinking you blew it, but still get an offer anyways, so that may work in your favor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I never go in thinking I got the job. It's not a good idea because you don't know who else interviewed and what they bring to the table compared to you. They could have gotten a perfect match resume after they interviewed you. They probably told several other candidates exactly what they told you and I'm sure it was true, they did love your resume along with the other candidates. Want to know what I do after I leave an interview? I look for more jobs to apply to and I don't send thank you notes either.
That is quite the paradox in job searching.... you do have to go in thinking you WON'T get the job, even though that's exactly what you want. Just... try to work with it

Similar cases include buying insurance hoping you'll never to need to use it, and how some soldiers accept they're going to die before going into combat. It creates a mindset that can put you in the right state of mind.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:13 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,184,784 times
This happened to me once. The interviewer called me like THREE TIMES. The final call, she confirmed salary requirements, asked if the health insurance and paid time off sounded okay, and confirmed my start date. She said, "I'll call you Monday and we can wrap up final details." She sent me an email that SATURDAY saying they'd hired someone else. At the time, I was REALLY desperate for a new job. I cried and cried, and went into a depression for a while. Just plain MESSY.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM

897 posts, read 1,182,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
This happened to me once. The interviewer called me like THREE TIMES. The final call, she confirmed salary requirements, asked if the health insurance and paid time off sounded okay, and confirmed my start date. She said, "I'll call you Monday and we can wrap up final details." She sent me an email that SATURDAY saying they'd hired someone else. At the time, I was REALLY desperate for a new job. I cried and cried, and went into a depression for a while. Just plain MESSY.
Oh how terrible!!! What lousy, lousy hiring practices. You can bet, though, that a relative, internal candidate or the office favorite who wanted a raise, was the one who got the job, clearly last minute.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 PM

405 posts, read 574,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
This is really bad. But verbal offers are meaningless, you have to have it in writing.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,033,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
That is quite the paradox in job searching.... you do have to go in thinking you WON'T get the job, even though that's exactly what you want. Just... try to work with it
I really don't agree with this. If you go into the interview already thinking you won't get the job then there is a good chance you won't because the interviewer will pick up on your attitude and body language of already feeling defeated.

You should always go into every interview as if it is your first and thinking that you will get the job. It will make you come across as self confident and having a good attitude. Sometimes you get the job not because you are the most experienced, but because you are the best all around fit for it.

OP your experience with your interview is not typical in my experience. Most interviewers are well versed enough to not "gush" over an interviewee. They should be friendly but non committal. Then when they are completely done with interviews they can express their preference of who to hire by reviewing their discreet notes they took about each candidate. When I used to interview several years ago (I am self employed now) I always went in well prepared, confident and believing I would get the job and 2 out of 3 times I did.

I know it is not easy, but as I said, try to treat each interview as a completely separate event and keep moving forward with a positive attitude. You will be successful soon. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,073,553 times
Some interviewers will go overboard complimenting a candidate, which in turns leads the person to have high hopes of being extended a job offer.

As far at the OPs confusion regarding the job posting's "we are willing to train" scenario, that doesn't mean they won't hire someone who already has the background and experience.

Interviewers would help candidates more if they'd stop with the list of compliments, just thank the person and move on to the next candidate.

I believe that as soon as a candidate has been selected and accepted the job offer that the remaining candidates should receive either an e-mail or phone call so that those individuals can move on to their next interview.

And it is very important that HR doesn't give false time frames as to when those being interviewed would hear back because sometimes the interviewing process may drag on for several weeks or longer.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,316,316 times
OP - sorry things didn't go as you had hoped. But keep in mind that hiring is no more than a subjective decision on who the hiring manager feel is the best person to work for them. There's nothing scientific or objective about it. They may try and put in controls to make it more objective. But in the end, its still a decision made by someone that has something to gain/lose.

In most cases, they're not sitting around trying to play with people's emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I sincerely doubt they told the others what they told me. According to them, they interviewed a small handful of people before me, from all walks of life: stay at home mothers, electrical engineer, retail worker, etc. None of them were what they were looking for. Seems to me they found someone with more experience or a better fit than I, in less than 24 hours. That's fine and dandy, better fit I can understand but telling me they went with someone else with more experience or even interviewing me to gauge my experience, when the job clearly stated "no experience" is something confusing to me.

Still, this is something that I've found is pretty common. I hate getting compliments and made to feel that I will start working there and then getting a "sorry, no luck". It's a classic bait and switch, dangling the carrot and then yanking it away. It's *this* act that truly pisses me off.

Keep things professional, tell me whether or not I got the job, that is all I ask. I do not want to be buttered up, go home and mentally picture myself in that job role, fire off some resumes, but really focus on preparing myself for the following week, only to get nothing. It's hugely demoralizing to me, about the only positive thing I've gotten from this experience is that I'm getting more bites after I tweaked my resume and getting better at interviewing. It still doesn't help with the bitter aftertaste in my mouth though... (so to speak).

Unfortunately - everyone has their preferences. And there's no way your interviewers can know how you feel since they barely even know you. So they'll typically just act that way they THINK you'll be receptive to. Just as you have no idea what they're looking for (beyond what they've indicated on the ad). So you sort of just do what you believe are the right things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search