Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 PM

491 posts, read 472,237 times

Advertisements

I've dealt with this a lot. I went to a humiliating "group" interview at Old Navy, and never heard back. I interviewed with someone at JCPenney--put my best clothes on, made eye contact, tried as much as I could--nothing. I even left her a followup message (I guess I should have reached her directly) thanking her for her time. She didn't even have the decency to call back and say I didn't get it.

For this reason, I'm soured to job interviews. I don't appreciate having my feelings crapped on. It will make it very hard in the future. Then again, I don't really take rejection of ANY kind well, especially for something that it seems like everyone around me has with ease ( I loathe dating for the same reason ).

How does one feel good about basically being told "You're crap. I'm not hiring you"? There's no real good way to spin that. But I don't think I'll ever find a good job if I can't get past that. The feeling of I'M not good enough, I'M ****, I wasn't what they wanted. It's an impossible situation and a really unhappy feeling. I'm too sensitive, blah.

It's so hard when it seems like everyone in the world around you is doing so great, and interviewers just look on you as a pile of ****.

I am currently working at a very crappy job. I haven't job hunted in nearly three years while I've been working at this crappy job.

I've even read accounts of people who do hiring, and it just seems like...I don't know. Seems like there's no hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I've dealt with this a lot. I went to a humiliating "group" interview at Old Navy, and never heard back. I interviewed with someone at JCPenney--put my best clothes on, made eye contact, tried as much as I could--nothing. I even left her a followup message (I guess I should have reached her directly) thanking her for her time. She didn't even have the decency to call back and say I didn't get it.

For this reason, I'm soured to job interviews. I don't appreciate having my feelings crapped on. It will make it very hard in the future. Then again, I don't really take rejection of ANY kind well, especially for something that it seems like everyone around me has with ease ( I loathe dating for the same reason ).

How does one feel good about basically being told "You're crap. I'm not hiring you"? There's no real good way to spin that. But I don't think I'll ever find a good job if I can't get past that. The feeling of I'M not good enough, I'M ****, I wasn't what they wanted. It's an impossible situation and a really unhappy feeling. I'm too sensitive, blah.

It's so hard when it seems like everyone in the world around you is doing so great, and interviewers just look on you as a pile of ****.

I am currently working at a very crappy job. I haven't job hunted in nearly three years while I've been working at this crappy job.

I've even read accounts of people who do hiring, and it just seems like...I don't know. Seems like there's no hope.
Keep in mind for the next interview that it's not the clothes that wins someone over it's your personality

Old 01-27-2015, 10:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,062,783 times
You are spinning this in the worst possible way and being unnecessarily harsh on yourself.

For years I was a hiring manager for big box retail, so I know how it works.

For every opening there are dozens and dozens of applicants. The chance of being the successful applicant, no matter how well qualified you are, is small. That doesn't mean that people are treating you like X, they don't like you, or you aren't good enough. It just means that somebody else was better, or that you lost on a coin flip. Every time I have hired I had lots of people who could have done the job well. I could choose from that group at random and make a decent hire, but it still meant rejecting other good people. I could not hire them all. It sucks, but it happens.

Entry level retail jobs are a numbers game. Apply for a bunch and sooner or later you get lucky. Don't take it personally, because it isn't meant that way.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Keep in mind for the next interview that it's not the clothes that wins someone over it's your personality
Okay, but what if I'm nervous? I've been judged a lot for being nervous. And I really think ability to do the actual work should be more important than personality, honestly. I'm a fairly nice person and I get along with people I work with.

I've said before to myself that I'm "too shy" to get a job because I'm not the life of the party. But people need jobs to survive. So...now what? I mean is it going to be eternally okay to just reject people from livelihood because they aren't acting like your new best friend? Are people really that insecure that they need someone constantly kissing their butt?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Okay, but what if I'm nervous? I've been judged a lot for being nervous. And I really think ability to do the actual work should be more important than personality, honestly. I'm a fairly nice person and I get along with people I work with.

I've said before to myself that I'm "too shy" to get a job because I'm not the life of the party. But people need jobs to survive. So...now what? I mean is it going to be eternally okay to just reject people from livelihood because they aren't acting like your new best friend? Are people really that insecure that they need someone constantly kissing their butt?

Believe or not, most interviewers are nervous too which is why it's a plus if you can have small talk before the interview starts.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,062,783 times
Quote:
How is the interviewer going to know that you can do the job?

Answer that question and you are one step closer to landing an offer.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:16 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,907,952 times
Quote:
At least you're getting in-person interviews! I've been stuck in the phone interview stage, but the more I do the better I'm getting. I really hate phone interviews, though. I think it really depends on who is doing the interviewing. I've had phone interviews with 4 women and 2 males thus far. I'm a guy and I much prefer interviewing with men.

The women interviewers try to pick my brain and focus on stuff not related to my prior work experience. They ask me stuff like "How does your philosophy fit in with our philosophy" and stupid BS like that. I find the male interviewers to be more laid back and easy-going which makes it easier for me to have a discussion with, at least over the phone.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
How is the interviewer going to know that you can do the job?

Answer that question and you are one step closer to landing an offer.
Well, in the case of the lovely woman at JCPenney who didn't even have the courtesy to call me back to say no...I informed her that I had 4.5 years of retail experience. So she knew I had the experience.

But she just didn't care.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 PM

I would probably find a phone interview less stressful and easier to deal with.

I don't see how a phone interview is less than an in person one. Isn't that just how different companies do things? I was interviewing for crappy minimum wage retail positions, you're probably interviewing for real jobs with real benefits and real pay. I'm assuming that because that's what most people here seem to have.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:51 PM

389 posts, read 427,115 times
I hate group interviews. Reminds me of a cattle call. IMO gives off the vibe that the employer is looking for warm bodies and not interested in hiring the best candidate. Look at it this way, you don't want to work for such a manager that you encountered at JC Penney anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search