Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,811,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
Believe it or not I've had fairly good luck using LinkedIn to network. This company happened to have a junior level role vacant so it morphed from an informal discussion to an interview for the job.

I do think the events that proceeded were slightly odd though. This all went down going on 3 weeks ago.
I have no reason to not believe it so I do. I’m on linkedin of course but haven’t tried to use it for much. I’m glad it’s working out well for you though.

Anywhoo, I’m going to disagree with the consensus that this is typical. Given your specific situation, I don’t think it is. They left you hanging after you had personal contact that was positive and they clearly indicated there would be a follow up. That’s absolutely atypical. If it were an interview and they didn’t respond that’s one thing, but the fact that the HR person asked you for dates for a follow up, makes this atypical.

Sounds like you did what you could though without being a blatant pest. You followed up with email and voicemail. I’d be completely frustrated and upset as well. No, this is not typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,412,654 times
Maybe the HR person you have been communicating with has left the company. Do you have a secondary contact?

Old 03-02-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Maybe the HR person you have been communicating with has left the company. Do you have a secondary contact?
OP contacted both HR and person he interviewed with.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:50 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,156,924 times
OP, was there an actual job opening you were applying for? It wasn't clear in your post.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:19 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,729,620 times
Update: the original person I spoke with (my potential boss) got back to me and told me they're offering the role to another candidate.

Now at least I know where I stand so I'm relived in that sense.

He also explained the HR director had some medical issues and as such was in and out of the office.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Update: the original person I spoke with (my potential boss) got back to me and told me they're offering the role to another candidate.

He also explained the HR director had some medical issues and as such was in and out of the office.
There ya go...bad news but at least now you know where you stand and you won't dwell or wonder, and won't be frustrated about what seemed like a strange end for no apparent reason. It sounded very unusual to me so it makes sense that they got back to you and told you the deal.

Best of luck.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:18 PM

244 posts, read 668,246 times
My husband has had several interviews that went like that. The person he interviewed with asked for his availability to talk again with some other people within the company, and then never heard from them again. He also followed up with all of them and never got any response.

Very rude and frustrating.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:18 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,971,192 times
Quote:

Sorry about the bad news - having been in similar situations before, I usually realize that it's because they probably made an offer to another candidate and are negotiating some of the details over a few days. If the deal falls through, then they move on to their backup candidate(s) - you, in this case.

I've had good luck with Linked In as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search