Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
But it is not like he wasn't 'working'. Caring for family members has got to be one of the most difficult and stressful things to do! For a million different reasons. AND, not just anyone can do it.

So, it is not like he was just sitting around doing nothing! He really needs to elaborate on these responsibilities when he looks for employment. Kudos to him!

Absolutely!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,052,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Back up there sport. Where did I say that? You should stop putting words into my mouth. No one could possibly know if someone was doing something or if they were actually home being lazy and not looking for work. But the point people are getting you to understand ( I know it's a stretch) is that it shows initiative if someone is volunteering, helping start a business, raising a family, helping ill parents etc. You seem to be strongly opposed to those things which says a lot about you.

Sorry that you don't understand the most basic of words and the intent in which they are used
Volunteering takes time away from looking for a job UNLESS it's being done at a place where the individual wants to work at some point in the future.

Last edited by FBJ; 05-08-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 11:49 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,481,303 times
Quote:
But it is not like he wasn't 'working'. Caring for family members has got to be one of the most difficult and stressful things to do! For a million different reasons. AND, not just anyone can do it.

So, it is not like he was just sitting around doing nothing! He really needs to elaborate on these responsibilities when he looks for employment. Kudos to him!
In theory, this is true. In fact, other C-D posters have even mentioned how some folks have raised 3 kids at the same time, was a Navy SEAL, some special forces, etc., and they should be far more qualified then your typical candidate.

In practice, some of them STILL won't care. I'd be real money that folks in the military would be turned down for such jobs (mainly because they have been). Some of them may have a point, as unless you're doing management where such skills of working under pressure and resource management will come into play, then raising kids, military experience still doesn't translate into being a better programmer, hardware engineer, doctor, accountant, or lawyer when those skills aren't quite covered from what you did before.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,742,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Volunteering takes time away from looking for a job UNLESS it's being done at a place where the individual wants to work at some point in the future.
It's amazing how someone can be so wrong so much and remain standing.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:11 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,711,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
In theory, this is true. In fact, other C-D posters have even mentioned how some folks have raised 3 kids at the same time, was a Navy SEAL, some special forces, etc., and they should be far more qualified then your typical candidate.

In practice, some of them STILL won't care. I'd be real money that folks in the military would be turned down for such jobs (mainly because they have been). Some of them may have a point, as unless you're doing management where such skills of working under pressure and resource management will come into play, then raising kids, military experience still doesn't translate into being a better programmer, hardware engineer, doctor, accountant, or lawyer when those skills aren't quite covered from what you did before.
Yes, but there are TONS of jobs other than the ones you mentioned that his skills would/could transfer to plus I think he said he got his masters while he was caretaking. Even with the careers you mentioned, people fresh out of college go for jobs like that without any experience so what is the difference? This gentleman has more transferable skills than college grads do.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:06 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,481,303 times
Quote:
Yes, but there are TONS of jobs other than the ones you mentioned that his skills would/could transfer to plus I think he said he got his masters while he was caretaking. Even with the careers you mentioned, people fresh out of college go for jobs like that without any experience so what is the difference? This gentleman has more transferable skills than college grads do.
The masters may help, so that's nice there.

When college grads get out without any experience or just an internship or 2 under his belt, they're typically not competing with folks as described in this thread. (I'm assuming the folks in this thread would be experienced individuals?) They'd be going after entry-level jobs, which is different. With experienced, non-managerial positions, some circles, if you've been out of work for 6 months or more, it's like you forgot nearly all of your skills and need to go back to college or something It is ridiculous for any recruiter or company to give a candidate that's had none to very little unemployment gap since his last job more preference vs. the candidate that's been long/er term unemployed based on that figure alone. Hell, one time, I learned more being unemployed since I had more free time to devote to my own project. The job I had was stuff I already knew how to do. Roll of the dice whether or not was able to convince a few recruiters/HR folks of this.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:21 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times
FBJ"Since when has looking for employment meant someone was home doing nothing? They obviously had to be doing something ."

We're not interested in an unemployed guy watching tv. That is doing something. We require doing something that shows a desire to remain productive.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:28 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
FBJ"Since when has looking for employment meant someone was home doing nothing? They obviously had to be doing something ."

We're not interested in an unemployed guy watching tv. That is doing something. We require doing something that shows a desire to remain productive.
So explain to me why a person seeking employment all day is not productive???

Old 05-08-2015, 08:39 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times
That is not adding education, training, or skill sets to what he/she has to offer. It does show other employers did not want the candidate, or they would be unavailable. It shows nothing else.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:46 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That is not adding education, training, or skill sets to what he/she has to offer. It does show other employers did not want the candidate, or they would be unavailable. It shows nothing else.
Well I was able to sell myself with a 5 month and 12 month gap so it's all about presentation not gaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search