Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 PM

6 posts, read 10,667 times

Advertisements

I just started working for a very highly respected company. Before starting they sent me a offer letter stating my monthly salary down to the penny of how much it would be. They also said in the offer letter how much that would come to yearly. So I signed and returned the letter and started work. I just got my first paycheck and its for 2 weeks of work but the calculations come to about a dollar lower hourly than what I was told in the offer letter. What can I do? Is an offer letter basically a contract? Are they legally obligated to pay me the amount I was told in the offer letter? Can I get a lawyer involved if they do not change my pay to what I was promised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 11:25 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
If you'll be paid every 2 weeks, take the gross you received for the 2 weeks and multiply it by 26 (for 26 payperiods in the year based on every 2 weeks). Does that equal the annual salary you were promised? If it does, you're fine, you're just seeing the variance of annual salary applied to actual payroll schedule. You'll make up the 'missing' amount on the months where there will be 3 paydays. If the totals do not agree, I'd contact HR.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:44 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
It could just be the way the pay period is falling. If you are comfortable, contact HR and ask them to explain the first period of the paycheck, and see if that answers your question. I have always found there is a weird glitch on the first check.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 AM

306 posts, read 517,620 times
Yeah when I had my first job in which I was being paid every 2 weeks I wondered why my paychecks came less to how I calculated them as well.

For example, if your salary is agreed at $54,000 a year, you are probably dividing that by 12 months, which is $4,500, and then dividing that by 2 weeks which is $2,250. This would be what you would be getting paid before taxes and deductions if you were semi-monthly (aka on the 15th and 31st of every month).

However, since you are being probably being paid every 2 weeks from your last pay period, you should actually divide your salary by 13 months, and for $54,000 that would be $4,153.85. Then divide that amount by 2 every weeks, which in this case would be $2,076.92 that you would receive before taxes and deducations.

This is of course assuming this is what is happening in your situation. It could also just be that you are getting paid less than agreed upon as well. :P

Old 03-23-2015, 08:29 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLu233 View Post
I just started working for a very highly respected company. Before starting they sent me a offer letter stating my monthly salary down to the penny of how much it would be. They also said in the offer letter how much that would come to yearly. So I signed and returned the letter and started work. I just got my first paycheck and its for 2 weeks of work but the calculations come to about a dollar lower hourly than what I was told in the offer letter. What can I do? Is an offer letter basically a contract? Are they legally obligated to pay me the amount I was told in the offer letter? Can I get a lawyer involved if they do not change my pay to what I was promised?

Why not do some calculations yourself and contact the payroll department before getting an attorney involved.
Cripes, not everything needs an attorney.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 AM

306 posts, read 517,620 times
It makes me wonder how some people are inclined to rant on a forum or hire an attorney before politely asking the payroll/HR department about a possible discrepancy on their first paycheck.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Maybe you just suck at math? I'd recheck your numbers.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:48 AM

268 posts, read 1,133,293 times
Why don't you ask this question to your HR?? This question has nothing to do with "Job Search". And even if you can't ask this simple question to HR, you can also check several sites where you can find your net income/paycheck based on your earning and how often you pay.

Salary Paycheck Calculator | Payroll Calculator | Paycheck City

Old 03-23-2015, 06:12 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
Just ask. A lawyer...sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search