Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 04:12 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

What's the point of "Trick questions" on an interview?
I don't see the point of those questions
For one thing.... after becoming an expert on interview, I could easily get out of 99% of trick questions.

So what's the point of trick questions?
To make people nervous?
To see who can BS their way out of a difficult situation?
To have fun seeing a grown man/woman freaking out?

Honest people are the ones that are gonna do worse with trick questions
and liars and people that BS their way out of trouble are the ones that are always gonna do best with trick questions.
Is that the people that they want to hire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 04:30 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Just so the unscrupulous evil employer's can sit there with their "Hahah, I have a job and you don't, Beg for you're job, Beg for it!!" attitude

You gotta sit there and play Yoda Jedi Mind Trick games with employers these days just to obtain a job, put money on the table and feed you're family

Its SICKENING. These corrupted evil companies should be ashamed of themselves with the way they screw the prospective employees around. Of course, sociopaths have no remorse by definition so they won't

Old 05-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Not everything in the workplace is predictable and comfortable. It makes manager feel more comfortable when they can hire employees who will react thoughtfully and productively to unexpected setbacks and situations. Those "trick" questions are helpful for identifying those employees.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:59 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
I really don't know that I've ever come across a trick question. I know I've never asked one.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:00 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
As a teacher for 31 years I found that "trick" questions were the ones the students couldn't answer.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Give is an example of said trick question.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
The problem with silly trick questions - how many pianos are there in New York, how many marbles with fit in a school bus, and so on - is often in how the employer approaches the problem.

If used strictly as an open-ended test to see how the would be employee would approach the problem, they can work fine. But if used as a method to make people jump through hopes to see if the get the "right" answer on the spot, they are pointless. Why? Because very few jobs operate that way in the real world. If something unexpected or odd comes up, which is supposedly the point of these questions, nobody goes off and pulls the answer out of their heads based on guesswork and hunches. Instead, they use real data, and the answer may take time to arrive. The question is if the would be employee is approaching the problem correctly. Using trick questions for anything else is, at best, pointless, and at worst, sadistic.

Oh, and yes, I suspect there is some level of smugness and sadism involved with these questions, at least in some cases. If Google - infamous for this stuff - has admitted that these trick questions amounted to nothing, there's really good reason for anyone else to be using them.

Google Skips 'Waste of Time' Brainteaser Interview Questions - ABC News

Old 05-10-2015, 06:52 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Not everything in the workplace is predictable and comfortable. It makes manager feel more comfortable when they can hire employees who will react thoughtfully and productively to unexpected setbacks and situations. Those "trick" questions are helpful for identifying those employees.
This. If you are able to think on your toes. But sometimes it is just to get inside her head to see how you think.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:18 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times
A job interview is one of the most unrelaxed places to be, and it's hard for many people to think on their toes under that type of stress. I've found the best performers in interviews are not necessarily the best employees. Sure, if you're looking for a salesperson, expect a gregarious silver-tongue. But if you want someone consciencious and with integrity, and dependability, as an interviewer I think you have to read between the lines and have good intuition. I'd honestly prefer someone who was caught off guard by a trick question. I believe those people are more sincere. I've had more luck interviewing people at the coffee machine or on their way to their car - when they don't even know it's an interview.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:00 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
i think so the inteviewer can feel the self-satisfaction of asking intelligent cranial questions rather than the obvious: "why did you leave your previous employer".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search