Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:35 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

I would see it as a red flag.

If one person leaves, there could be any reason. The person may have found something better, just didn't like the job, needed to move for personal reasons, etc. If two people leave, it's more than likely something with the company or the role. With this many people leaving, something is definitely wrong with the role.

It may pay terribly, the role itself may be terrible, the management may be bad, people may have been fired, the company may be struggling, or some combination of all this.

A job is better than no job and I'd accept it if unemployed, but would obviously keep looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
It can be but is not always. When I took the job here in 2009 I found out that the previous person had been fired after 18 months, the one before that had quit after less than a year, the one before that had retired after many years. As it turned out, the turnover was due to two factors. First, neither of them had the experience really needed for the job. Second, the supervisor (demoted and replaced by me in 2010) didn't have the experience either and was unable to provide training for this unique, one-off position. When I hired my replacement it took an extended application period and second batch of interviews to find an appropriate person.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It can be but is not always. When I took the job here in 2009 I found out that the previous person had been fired after 18 months, the one before that had quit after less than a year, the one before that had retired after many years. As it turned out, the turnover was due to two factors. First, neither of them had the experience really needed for the job. Second, the supervisor (demoted and replaced by me in 2010) didn't have the experience either and was unable to provide training for this unique, one-off position. When I hired my replacement it took an extended application period and second batch of interviews to find an appropriate person.
The fact that two people were hired without the correct experience and then the bad supervisor points to a larger organizational failure, which is still a problem even for the low guy on the totem pole.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:59 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Yes, it is a big red flag. This is something you should ask the hiring manager about.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 PM

126 posts, read 206,428 times
hi all...i just did a search on the company via glassdoor and the reviews from previous and current employers are HORRENDOUS!!!!! there were a total of 15 reviews and they are all bad: high turnover rate, company likes to fire people on the spot and hire "friends" with no prevalent experience, no growth, and it was just all bad. Not sure if I should just go by the reviews.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcitygirl84 View Post
hi all...i just did a search on the company via glassdoor and the reviews from previous and current employers are HORRENDOUS!!!!! there were a total of 15 reviews and they are all bad: high turnover rate, company likes to fire people on the spot and hire "friends" with no prevalent experience, no growth, and it was just all bad. Not sure if I should just go by the reviews.
Always remember that whatever job you decide to take you have to make sure it's stable. You don't want to be in a situation where you are fired/laid off and then have to receive unemployment which is only 26 weeks in 2015. Based on the reviews, this job does not sound very stable at all and you may want to look elsewhere.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:19 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcitygirl84 View Post
I just got out of my 4th interview with a company, so I am pretty excited about that. The company manufactures medical instruments and is doing very well.

I was told by couple of different people that in the past year, there have been 3 people working that same position and left within 1-4 months because they were overwhelmed.

Is that something for me to worry about? I find it hard to believe that 3 people would leave so fast, especially since it's hard to find a job nowadays.

sounds like there's some major drama going on but i could be wrong.

Any thoughts?
Check around online(alot of info on fda website) on the companies standing with their fda.
If the company has issues and is in remediation, this can make for a very intense and poor environment to work in.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:49 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Multiple people leaving = an inexcusable red flag. (Either the whole corp or department management are inept).

Take job if you need it, act unemployed after in that I mean remain searching for a better job.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:16 AM

126 posts, read 206,428 times
yup, thank you for all your responses. Whether or not I do get the job, I will still continue to look.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:17 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Yes, it is a big red flag. This is something you should ask the hiring manager about.
It is a red flag but I'm not so sure I would ask the hiring manager about it.

If the hiring manager has high turnover and a candidate asks them about those difficulties, they may feel a bit offended or thrown off-guard by the question. And I wouldn't expect them to be perfectly honest with me about it anyway. Really, it's none of the applicant's business why people aren't sticking around. High turnover usually is because of structural problems within an organization; a HM doesn't want to get into that kind of stuff (which wouldn't be positive rep for the company anyway) during the interview.

Frankly, I'd keep the research to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search