Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 03:51 PM

752 posts, read 1,495,436 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some advice/input here, though the situation I relate here is for someone else--someone I knew well.
A good friend of mine had long been employed in their family's business, which sold special officer supplies and paper/plastic/cardboard products, mainly mailing and shipping containers and such...it had been very lucrative for about sixty years (the company was started by his grandfather right after WW II)....however, the business has not fared well thru the late economic crisis, partly due to the fact many of its clients had to either scale back spending or closed, so sales plummeted starting around 2009-2010, briefly rebounded, then sank again and the business finally had to close at the end of 2014.

My friend had worked for his family's business on and off since college, did mostly book keeping, with some managerial duties and working with orders and financial records for the clients, which consisted largely of construction, architectural and design firms nationwide.
However, at least some of this was done 'under the table' and apparently no actual W-2 forms exist for some of the years, or in at least one year, the manager filed the w-2 wrong and he is not sure if a new employer might see this--or what might happen---would it look like a gap of a year or two?
-
Basically, because he had worked for a family company that is now closed, he is worried about finding viable employment (he has been unemployed for 5 months now). He worked for them on and off for about nine years (the last five years were continuous, however).
I have not really been sure what to tell him...so any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 04:31 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
So, has he never paid taxes?

Old 07-22-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
So, has he never paid taxes?
No, he told me that at least a couple of those years no W-2 was filed, though he worked for them full time...

Old 07-23-2015, 12:24 AM

I guess what I should clarify is--his main concern is when he goes to interview jobs, how will they perceive him as having working for a family business---will his experience and qualifications be taken seriously? Will interviewers have doubts or concerns of some kind because of the fact his past, and primary employer all that time was his own family?
He has three years of college under his belt (business admin.), though never actually graduated with the BA.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
I think he should be more concerned about the IRS.

I don't see why working for a legit family business should hold him back. It just doesn't sound totally legit.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I think he should be more concerned about the IRS.

I don't see why working for a legit family business should hold him back. It just doesn't sound totally legit.
Yes, true and that is basically what I had told him (about the taxes anyway).
But how do employers generally see a prospective new employee who has worked for family owned business for a significant amount of their working years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search