Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:01 AM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
That's a little too high for entry level in that industry imho.
I'd say something around 50-55K probably would make more sense, but it really varies depending on company. Some startups pay better than others. I've had recruiting agencies report salaries for my field (similar industry) in a certain ballpark, but then have been told by a handful of companies that that's too high.
If they're in the Bay Area, they should ask for more. If they can't get it, move to cheaper place in flyover country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 12:18 PM

8 posts, read 5,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The OP should prepare for roommates. That job won't pay enough to afford an apartment. And who knows what sort of expenses the OP has. And basically people who make way more than entry level will get all of the apartments. Also $2k is really low, that sounds like apartments in not get locations. Where is your job located?

OP to help you figure out a salary, we need more info on the tech company:

1. how many employees
2. how is the company funded: venture backed, boot strapped, public company
3. If venture backed, what round are they on?
4. Is the company profitable yet
5. What tech space: enterprise software, consumer software, consumer hardware, enterprise hardware, biotech, something else?

All this stuff impacts how much you will likely be paid. From highest at top to lowest at bottom, here is a rough pay scale:

Large public company
Small public company
Venture Backed company with at least series B funding
Profitable smaller company that was venture backed
Venture backed company at Series A or below
Boot-strapped company

Enterprise stuff pays more than consumer stuff generally speaking (higher margins).

Also, that skill set tends to have low-ish starting salaries. Sorry.

1. There are no more than 15 employees

2. I'm not sure how the company is funded. It is privately held, been around for 3 years, boot strapped? Looks like it rests on capital from the founders/upper employees. What qualities can I look at to determine if venture, boot strapped, or public?

3. Don't know.

4. The company has one product they are working on that is not earning money.

5. Industry is Healthcare

More info:
I currently live in the bay area with roommates. The job is in East Bay. My commute wouldn't be that bad.

This is a part time position. Do companies give lower income on part time, entry level positions compared to the same job that is full time?

Yes, it seems like a low starting salary is what happens with this skill set.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:32 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
graphic design for healthcare/IT? Those companies aren't usually "startup"... it cost a lot to get past FDA, yes even the software needs approval before it can be marketed...

And if you don't know, why not ask at interview? those are things that are important to know...

One product isnt great, not saying it is impossible, the ones I know of that are one product, their goal is to do it well, make a name then get bought out/merge with a large company. If they can get it past FDA, the large companies would be interested since that would be the hard part, and they have the customers already...

pay should be higher though, or have stock options/something... but I'd do it just to get experience if you don't have any. If it was another job besides graphic design, I'd say you could use it and be a consultant later on, but design work seems fairly "loose" on demand, IE everyone with a laptop/phone/computer with MS paint/snapseed/instantgram can call themselves "graphic" designers.

But if you feel like $65k is high, that's exactly why you should ask for it... When they say it is higher than they can afford, ask them what they are looking for out of it and then work way down. It gives you room to "drop" down to $55k... If you start out asking $55k, you might get it, but you loose chance to negotiate for other things even if both ends up at $55k. But this is assuming that you can "let" this chance go and get the next one too. I still think you could get away asking for $60k and drop some as you find out what the job duties are. It lets you hammer out job during interview if you get to talk about compensation for work. Instead of walking in, saying yes to whatever salary and not even knowing what the exact job duties/expectations are. Then the first day you show up, you are clueless as to what they want out of you.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 5,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
graphic design for healthcare/IT? Those companies aren't usually "startup"... it cost a lot to get past FDA, yes even the software needs approval before it can be marketed...

And if you don't know, why not ask at interview? those are things that are important to know...

One product isnt great, not saying it is impossible, the ones I know of that are one product, their goal is to do it well, make a name then get bought out/merge with a large company. If they can get it past FDA, the large companies would be interested since that would be the hard part, and they have the customers already...

pay should be higher though, or have stock options/something... but I'd do it just to get experience if you don't have any. If it was another job besides graphic design, I'd say you could use it and be a consultant later on, but design work seems fairly "loose" on demand, IE everyone with a laptop/phone/computer with MS paint/snapseed/instantgram can call themselves "graphic" designers.

But if you feel like $65k is high, that's exactly why you should ask for it... When they say it is higher than they can afford, ask them what they are looking for out of it and then work way down. It gives you room to "drop" down to $55k... If you start out asking $55k, you might get it, but you loose chance to negotiate for other things even if both ends up at $55k. But this is assuming that you can "let" this chance go and get the next one too. I still think you could get away asking for $60k and drop some as you find out what the job duties are. It lets you hammer out job during interview if you get to talk about compensation for work. Instead of walking in, saying yes to whatever salary and not even knowing what the exact job duties/expectations are. Then the first day you show up, you are clueless as to what they want out of you.

For negotiating 60k makes sense to give me room. Guess I can't really pin point anything until it happens. In an email I once said 57k when asked about salary by a potential employer. I didn't receive a response after that, lol. That was over a year ago.

The company description says its a startup. FDA, Food and Drug Association? I didn't think this type of work would be bothered with that.

I could be wrong about them only having one project but I really can't find anything else unless its behind closed doors. The job description says multiple projects would be worked on. This could mean anything though like working on one product in several areas or multiple products.

Last edited by Jerry5; 09-07-2015 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 02:37 PM

275 posts, read 743,536 times
Even if someone work in this company doing exact the same job, it would be pretty difficult to give the number. If management decided to find employee and pay, I do not know, say $10/hr, all info would be useless and you would think you've asked too much. On the other hand they may be reasonable from the beginning and you may be offered more, than you expect. It happened to me before.

Dig internet, which is what you are doing, but as mentioned before widen your approach, do not just focus on number they would give you, see whether there are other benefits, which you may be interested in(stock options, paid days off, commute/telecommute...). May be experience and line in your resume would mean more in the long run.

Even though it is lower level position it may pay decent, unless company have business model, something like We are going to pay $19.99 and let HR find us good experienced people for it. I see it around, the pay they are offering is low and company search for people constantly.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry5 View Post
1. There are no more than 15 employees

2. I'm not sure how the company is funded. It is privately held, been around for 3 years, boot strapped? Looks like it rests on capital from the founders/upper employees. What qualities can I look at to determine if venture, boot strapped, or public?
Do they have outside investors or not? I find if the company doesn't have outside investors they pay less. Unless the founders/senior managers cashed out big in a previous job

Quote:
3. Don't know.

4. The company has one product they are working on that is not earning money.

5. Industry is Healthcare
That's tricky, they might end up paying a little less unless you are in a research/science-y role.

Quote:
More info:
I currently live in the bay area with roommates. The job is in East Bay. My commute wouldn't be that bad.

This is a part time position. Do companies give lower income on part time, entry level positions compared to the same job that is full time?

Yes, it seems like a low starting salary is what happens with this skill set.
Generally speaking yes, part time is lower. Is it part time permanent or part time contractor? Contractor roles get paid more than permanent employees with limited hours.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:33 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If they're in the Bay Area, they should ask for more. If they can't get it, move to cheaper place in flyover country.
Yeah um judging from past experience in giving my salary requirements in SF, I'd rather play it conservative with salary. Slip up and ask for too much and they automatically move to other people. 60K is on the high end for entry level in that industry here.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:41 AM

7 posts, read 5,896 times
Quote:
Hi,

I need advice on how much income to ask for or accept at an entry level job.

I have an interview coming up for a part-time, entry level position at a startup tech company. It is located in the Bay Area of California, close to S.F. There are many successful and smart people working at the startup.

I have had a bunch of internships paying me $15 per hour and temp office work from $14-20 an hour. The job post said they would train the right person. There are always new things to learn with a new position yet, I have more experience than what the job post is asking for. I feel I should be in the right to ask for more than $15 per hour. How about $20 per hour (41k salary, 20x2080) or even $25 (52k salary)?

How much should I ask for at this entry level job? It should be acceptable to negotiate, correct?

Thanks for your help.
Thanks for sharing such useful information because i think this is one of the big problem for everyone to decide that what salary they should demand when they are going to join a job in this field first time. It matters every time because some of the employer try to take the benefits from their employees. Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,709,161 times
During the interview when they ask you what you are looking for, turn the tables on them and ask what their budget range is for the position. See if they bite. That usually opens it up for discussion when I do it.

You also have to consider that there will be no benefits with PT so you should be able to ask for more hourly than a FT entry level employee. A total benefits package with health ins., vacation, PTO, 401k, etc., really adds up so they should be able to pay more for hourly PT with no benefits.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:48 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
Quote:
For negotiating 60k makes sense to give me room. Guess I can't really pin point anything until it happens. In an email I once said 57k when asked about salary by a potential employer. I didn't receive a response after that, lol. That was over a year ago.

The company description says its a startup. FDA, Food and Drug Association? I didn't think this type of work would be bothered with that.

I could be wrong about them only having one project but I really can't find anything else unless its behind closed doors. The job description says multiple projects would be worked on. This could mean anything though like working on one product in several areas or multiple products.
Jerry, it's obvious you are holding back information, probably to make it impossible for readers to try and jump on this opportunity. Unfortunately, that makes it much more difficult to give you actually useful advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search