Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:55 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Most companies outright lie when selling their products. Have you ever listened to an infomercial. Most of the testimonials and expers are paid actors. Do you seriously believe the bold claims on the label.

I certainly didn't start out with this attitude but after being out there a few years in the private sector and going through the hiring process a few dozen times it became pretty clear that the only rules the companies respect are the law (sometimes if they feel they can't get away breaking it) and money. Why should I or any applicant/worker behave differently. They are out to bleep you over and pay you just enough so you don't quit so why shouldn't the workers bleep them back and do the minimum not to get fired especially since there is no reward for doing otherwise?
This is why soft skills are so important. As an employee, I don't want to spend my day surrounded by the likes of this applicant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
They are looking for the cheapest person. It's awful. It makes you feel worthless and like giving up.
Sad but true. Companies are hoping they will find someone willing to undercut the budget they actually had for the position. I really don't understand all the median wage reports too, but it always seems the actual salary range for positions is like 20% under (or more) what the median is....

And lots of people have already mentioned this, but I wanted to say it again, is just how bad employers discriminate against those who are unemployed or have unemployment gaps due to layoffs. Its like a night and day difference when applying for jobs employed vs applying when unemployed. Just in my own experience, the few times I actively job searched while employed a got an amazing response from companies who just couldn't wait to interview me. These companies just can't wait to steal another employer's resource! But when I was unemployed? These companies wouldn't even give me the time of a day.

All and all, serious discrimination against those unfortunately unemployed. Like it wasn't bad enough to be in that situation, employers won't even look at you...

Old 10-02-2015, 12:16 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This is why soft skills are so important. As an employee, I don't want to spend my day surrounded by the likes of this applicant.
I have news for you dear. You already are only worse. Most sociopaths are actually quite charming especially when it counts. Ted Bundy the serial killer was so likable that the judge lamented sentencing him. All of your interviewing for "soft skills" has only succeeded in filling the ranks of corporations with cut throat amoral cronies who politic and BS very well and frustrate the heck out of people who just want to come to work and do a good job and add value to the company.

This is why I never have sympathy for companies with talent problems. They are almost always to blame for their own mess.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:50 PM

422 posts, read 412,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Most people stretch the truth in interviewing, its a part of "selling yourself." Now lying about past job titles, salaries, or education then yes, that will get exposed and is not recommended.
Companies have no problem lying to your face (especially about job postings). Why the hell should I give a damn about them?

Old 10-02-2015, 01:38 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
There's nothing wrong with finding the right person for the job but what happened to common courtesy? What happened to judging people face to face instead of making them jump through so many hoops just get a minimum wage job?

Yes you want the best person but please treat applicants like human beings, not machines.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:16 PM

633 posts, read 640,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
There's nothing wrong with finding the right person for the job but what happened to common courtesy? What happened to judging people face to face instead of making them jump through so many hoops just get a minimum wage job?

Yes you want the best person but please treat applicants like human beings, not machines.
Sounds nice in theory, but what happens when I get..oh...5 thousand applicants for three positions? Am I supposed to judge them all face to face?

Be realistic here.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:35 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
The majority of job applicants, and even the majority of people, are not actually suitable for jobs. They only get hired when nobody better for the job can be found. And even then, the employer often just gives up and doesn't hire anyone.

People need to realize the whole idea of jobs for everyone is obsolete. People who apply for jobs are asking to be harassed by a boss. Who needs that? Start your own business and get paid what you're really worth, without being micromanaged. All the time you spend looking for a job is time you could have spent growing your business.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:55 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The majority of job applicants, and even the majority of people, are not actually suitable for jobs. They only get hired when nobody better for the job can be found. And even then, the employer often just gives up and doesn't hire anyone..
And the other side of the coin is the vast majority of companies aren't suitable to work for and people only do so because they need money to survive and can't find anything better. However, we are reaching the point where one would be better off giving up and going on welfare.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:57 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Haha nothing like reading a bunch of disgruntled people blaming others for their problems. Dunning Kruger effect in full swing here.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:01 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
B-b-b-but there's a shortage of skiled workers! Why else would we bring over immigrants?
The shortage of skilled workers is just more corporate america BS. There's plenty of skilled workers its just that corporate skin flints won't pay them what they are worth and then reject them in order to hire someone who has little experience or just rescinds the ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search