Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 5,523 times

Advertisements

I'm a senior in undergrad now and want to relocate to another part of the country next summer after I graduate (live in NJ now). However, I would most likely need a job secured in order to do so. How should I go about this? Websites where I can submit my resume, etc. I am studying accounting and plan to pass the CPA exam as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:29 AM

Bumpity bump bump...could really use some advice here.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I'd go to Indeed.com and begin applying to accounting jobs. However, the best resource you have right now is your school, they should be able to open up a few doors.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:05 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,945,057 times
did you do internships? Where are you looking to move to? What type of job are you looking for?

You can likely land an entry-level job in financial services- but depending on your skills you will likely need to relocate yourself.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:42 AM

278 posts, read 336,370 times
I suggest save up a ton of cash to last you at least 6 months, take the plunge and move out to the city that you want to be in, and then submit apps like there is no tomorrow.

Bolo

Old 10-13-2015, 09:54 AM

I have applied on Indeed, hoping to actually hear back. The career services at my school does a good job setting you up with interviews, but they are mostly only for the NJ/NY area.

I have lots of internship experience, looking for an entry-level position in accounting. Firm size doesn't matter too much to me. I'm not exactly sure where I want to go, but my top choices would probably be Seattle or Houston. I'm open minded to pretty much anywhere outside of the Northeast.

Bolo - I saved lots of money by staying in-state and commuting from home, and I think my parents would be able to help me out a bit if needed. I really don't want to relocate without a job in place though.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:15 AM

18 posts, read 18,233 times
I'm in a similar position except I graduated in May. I've found that it's better to focus your search. Instead of saying you want to relocate to anywhere, focus it more. Accounting is a pretty broad field that you can do anywhere, so instead of focusing on specific industry hubs, maybe try thinking about places where you'd want to live and why. You mentioned Seattle and Houston. Why those areas? What's drawing you there? Why do you want to move there specifically when you could do accounting work in NY/NJ? These are questions that you'll have to be able to answer in an interview – and at least in my experience, things you should ideally address in your cover letter.

As far as looking for work, Indeed is a good starting point. Look for accounting jobs in those cities through a service like Indeed. (I would suggest not making it your only job search resource, though. Find other avenues as well.)

Old 10-13-2015, 12:33 PM

31 posts, read 37,759 times
I've had some friends do exactly what you are trying to do.

The successful ones decided what city they wanted to move to.
Then, they looked at companies located there.
Next, they applied DIRECTLY to the company through their website. They did not use indeed, monster, etc.

One of my friends actually received an email 1 day later requesting a phone interview. He then flew out for a real interview. He landed the job and has been thriving ever since in his new city.

Vice-versa, you could find a good company, browse their job listings and apply to any that you would be interested in moving to.

Good Luck

Old 10-14-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saradiane91 View Post
I'm in a similar position except I graduated in May. I've found that it's better to focus your search. Instead of saying you want to relocate to anywhere, focus it more. Accounting is a pretty broad field that you can do anywhere, so instead of focusing on specific industry hubs, maybe try thinking about places where you'd want to live and why. You mentioned Seattle and Houston. Why those areas? What's drawing you there? Why do you want to move there specifically when you could do accounting work in NY/NJ? These are questions that you'll have to be able to answer in an interview – and at least in my experience, things you should ideally address in your cover letter.

As far as looking for work, Indeed is a good starting point. Look for accounting jobs in those cities through a service like Indeed. (I would suggest not making it your only job search resource, though. Find other avenues as well.)
Thanks for your response. Are you in accounting/finance, and if so, do you mind telling which area you live in? I visited Seattle a while back and I really liked the weather and scenery/outdoor things to do. Houston from what I hear has a low COL, good economy, and more relaxed pace of life compared to the NE. I've lived in NJ for most of my life, never left, and just want a change.

R-G: Thanks. If I ideally want to move next June, when is the best time to apply? I've been starting now since I have friends who have offers for next year already from the firm where they interned.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:54 PM

18 posts, read 18,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyism View Post
Thanks for your response. Are you in accounting/finance, and if so, do you mind telling which area you live in? I visited Seattle a while back and I really liked the weather and scenery/outdoor things to do. Houston from what I hear has a low COL, good economy, and more relaxed pace of life compared to the NE. I've lived in NJ for most of my life, never left, and just want a change.

R-G: Thanks. If I ideally want to move next June, when is the best time to apply? I've been starting now since I have friends who have offers for next year already from the firm where they interned.
I'm not in accounting, no. I'm actually in international relations, so a pretty different field haha. But my "industry hub" is DC, so that's where I've focused my own search. It's definitely good to have a REASON for moving, though, and better quality of life is a reason.

I'm originally from NY but went to a big Midwestern school, so that's where I am right now. The COL is definitely lower here and the pace of life is slower as well (I'm not in Houston, but I'm in a similar-sized Midwestern city). It's a big change from NY-area, though, so if you've never visited or spent much time here, I'd suggest doing so if you can before you really commit to moving here. It can be just as much of a culture shock for someone to move from NYC to a smaller city as it can be for someone to do the opposite.

And starting now is a good idea. I made the mistake of waiting until like April/May to start looking, so I'm still working my retail job after graduating about 5 months ago. The sooner you get started the better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search