Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:19 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sachiko View Post
I got a retail job a few months ago with no retail experience (but I had internship experience, mostly data entry and administrative type stuff)

What helped me get the job was:

1. It wasn't just any old random store. It was a store I genuinely liked to shop at, so during the interview I was able to talk about why I liked the store.
2. I applied online but got no response. Several days later I called and asked to speak to the manager about the possibility of a job, saying I had already applied online. Had I just applied online and then done nothing, maybe I wouldn't have gotten a response.

I had that job for a little while before I changed to a different job. Being in retail wasn't horrible but there were a few things here and there that I didn't like. The thing I disliked most was the fact that I had to stand pretty much the entire time. My feet and legs kept being sore by the time my shift was over. On the plus side, I rarely had to deal with rude customers. For whatever reason, I got lucky and that almost never happened. You'd think with retail there'd be a ton of rude customers. But that isn't always the case! Another thing I liked was that there was hardly any overtime at all.

I tried walking into Petco a few times..didn't work and the lady sounded annoyed. I did not try that with Best Buy at first but they had sent an automatic reject letter for all the positions I applied for. I had went in there a week after with my coach but they said something about the hiring manager not being in. I discovered they only had one of the positions left anyway.

I had called for Gamestop too and they had a paper application. After a few times of calling them they basically shooed me off.

You obviously have to be likeable and they just don't like me.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-16-2015 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
If you are looking to work retail, make sure your availability is pretty wide open (unless you expressly say you have another job.) Otherwise, you will not get a job (even with the other job it could be an issue outside of seasonal hiring.)

Old 11-17-2015, 06:50 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If you are looking to work retail, make sure your availability is pretty wide open (unless you expressly say you have another job.) Otherwise, you will not get a job (even with the other job it could be an issue outside of seasonal hiring.)

Trust me. My availability couldn't be more open if I tried. I'm really wanting to quit those dumb sites that I do so will work as much as I have to or as little as I have to. Unless Petco knowing I had dogs made them think that I don't have as good availability?
I don't like early mornings but I would be happy to make adjustment and I don't generally get cranky if I'm tired..just loopy.

I will need vacation at some point but I can worry about that/discuss that with them later. I only envision taking them a few times a year.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-17-2015 at 07:01 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 01:01 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Thanks for all the replies!

I was wondering, I do have afternoon work, so are there any retailers that have jobs from 8 to 1pm?
Is that ever doable?

And are all retail jobs 7 days a week, or are there any Monday through Friday.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:59 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
You can get in retail if you let them know that you have a solid work ethic, will show up on time, will work hard, want to learn, will be available on a flexible schedule.
Do a functional resume that highlights your people skills, accountability, responsibility, desire to be trained, and availability.
Not all places are inhumane cesspools of humanity! LOL I started at a major grocery last month and I love it.
It's hard physically to start if you have not been used to standing for long periods and bending and lifting a lot, but I am through that initial period of tylenol as soon as I hit the couch and I have already gained physical strength and stamina.
I have wonderful managers and co-workers all willing to train and always checking to see how I am doing. The customers are fun to interact with and express appreciation all the time. I look forward to going in and feel valued and respected. We work hard, but have a lot of fun.
It can be great if you get in the right place. I am 60 years old and ''retired'' from bullcrap jobs that suck the life out of me. I make a lot less money, but I'm happy for now.
Plus who needs Planet Fitness? LOL
When I applied, I stressed the customer service aspect of my current/previous jobs - after all, most of us are serving some sort of customer anyway.

I'm on one of those debt free kicks and decided to take a weekend job to help move it along. Big blue box store. I actually enjoy interacting with the customers and working in this department...and the managers seem to be interactive and responsible. I'm part of their weekend team, and really enjoy working in that type of environment.

Many are surprised that i'm actually a network admin for a large company, and ask why i'm not contracting out to other companies instead...

It's actually a break for me and I secretly like playing in the paint LOL

edit: in this retail job, they're open weekends but not Thanksgiving....they are open for BF though and i'm scheduled....that should be some experience haha

Old 11-21-2015, 06:06 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Yeah, it can actually be fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search