Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 05:22 PM

363 posts, read 433,473 times

Advertisements

I only have an Associate Degree and certificates. I am new to the IT job field even though my degree is in IT. Currently I work for HP as online tech support where we don't don't deal with phone calls at all. The catch is that I am under contract and the pay is bad, and no benefits. But, if I get hired permanent which should be within 6 months to a year if I don't get laid off, I will go to tier 2 and the pay will be twice what I make. I also enjoy working here.

I got a job offer from Verizon for the same job but dealing but I will be answering some phone calls for companies dealing with Verizon. This is direct hire, no contracts. I will be hired with benefits from day one. Even though I haven't got the job yet, I am still preparing for what I need to do.

I like working at HP, but I am worried I might get laid off soon since they laid off 30,000 this year, also our department hired more than necessary people for the holidays. So I am worried after the holidays they will layoff some of us. I am excited about verizon because it's direct hire, and there may be new opportunities to advance as opposed to HP which only deals with Technical support at our building. But I am also worried the job will be stressful and not liking it or handling it. Regardless of the stress level, I will still do the job.

So, which would you choose in my position? A job you enjoy with a possibility to either move up or get laid off? Or a new job that is most likely more stressful and don't know much about but will be more secured?

Btw, what is the pay I should ask for if I go to the new job which is technical support? My current job pays $20 an hour if you're permanent, but less than 14 if you're not. Since the new job will be direct hire, how much should I ask for? I was thinking $16 or $17 an hour. Any advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 08:14 PM

888 posts, read 806,100 times
I worked at call center contracted through or from Verizon. If your current job requires you to work in raw sewage stay at that job. If you want to go home with that railroad stake driven through your head feeling every night after work then Verizon will be heaven to you.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:24 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
I would go with the job that provides the best pay and benefits.

Work on that job....go back to school and get your bachelors then look for a

better job. I am seeing tons of tech support jobs on indeed.com in the major cities.

Lots of money to be made if you have two or three years of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search