Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:42 AM

525 posts, read 454,126 times

Advertisements

You need experience to get a job, but you need a job to get experience. So what do you do?

BTW, I'm not looking for a job yet; I'm only a college sophomore who will probably go to grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 01:02 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Network in college.... figure out how your degree applies to a job and why you are even getting it

Then with network in place and knowing how what you've learned can help with the job, you go get job experience... intern or part time.

don't count on classes as providing or replacing work experience, they don't. If you try to rely on them as such, you compete with most other college grads with no experience...

Non college people, they just have to work their way up from very bottom. College cuts some of it out but still need to work way up.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:41 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
You need experience to get a job, but you need a job to get experience. So what do you do?

BTW, I'm not looking for a job yet; I'm only a college sophomore who will probably go to grad school.
It's not the degrees, it's skills. To get a job develop a skill that enables you to solve an important problem for an employer. Be the best candidate they can find and demonstrate competence.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
I'm in an evening class now with a 19 year old. He said that he doesn't work during the day, he voluntarily took evening classes to network with others who may also work in the field. Working adults are more likely to take evening classes, ya know?

He said it's working so far - he already has contacts for an internship.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:47 AM

285 posts, read 427,108 times
I was offered work-study in college, it was my first job ever.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:48 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
When your starting out you will apply to entry level positions mainly, if you have no experience. Then work your way up as you gain experience and sharpen your skills. If your able to work during college or intern that would be a plus to potential employers.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:28 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
Network which includes hitting up friends/family, friends of friends. Go to career fairs, talk people up, show interest etc... Outside of that you apply for the jobs, the internships that are not to stringent on requirements for the job, i.e... is this job looking for someone with only a degree in X subject and MUST have Y number years of experience or are they a bit more lax in who they wan to hire?

Since you are a sophomore, I would honestly start looking for work/internship now, having some kind of work experience on the resume BEFORE graduation, will do so much more than just graduating with a degree.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Motivation. When I look for someone young to get into a job I don't care about experience. I look for the person's self motivation and wiliness to learn and put in a good effort. I dislike a young hot shots that think they grew up with the internet and can easily find answers online. Many work related problems cannot be solved by Googling or doing things that you believe it's the right approach until you have enough seat time.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:47 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
I was offered work-study in college, it was my first job ever.
So did I. I had three workstudy positions, was offered a job in the computer lab and worked around my college schedule.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 508 times
Its better to get an internship first if you need experience. I would like to suggest you a website itjobboard.in there you can get what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search