Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 05:29 AM

4 posts, read 2,283 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anybody tell me what should I do to get a good and satisfactory job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:12 AM

406 posts, read 559,507 times
Apply

Old 02-08-2016, 06:19 AM

406 posts, read 559,507 times
Sorry, couldn't resist... There are many ways, but it's hard to give you advice without knowing anything about you.

1) Networking -- do you know people who know people who are in a position to create a job or put you in a job?
2) Become marketable -- do this by developing marketable skills, developing experience (other jobs, life, etc), and having a solid resume. Develop your interviewing skills to sell yourself, the skills and such only get you into the interview.
3) Intern. Sometimes this is the best way to get your foot in the door.
4) Move where the work is. This is what I did out of school because I knew exactly what I was looking for... I was looking for a springboard job to set me up for even better jobs in a short period of time. I found my springboard job 1000 miles from home and went for it. Best decision I could have made.
5) Know when it is time to progress/move. Most people don't get into an 'awesome' job right away. They have to bounce around, network, and develop skills and resume glitter until they get there. One of the worst things you can do is stick around in one place so long that you plateau and it is no longer useful toward your career advancement.

Best of luck.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
What a "good" job is is really a personal thing. It could be anywhere from working 100 hours a week for salary in a big wig position, to manning the cash register at Mickey D's.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
1. Get STEM degree

2. Research this forum

Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
First, decide on some clear goals.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeenaRoy View Post
Hi, can anybody tell me what should I do to get a good and satisfactory job?
Fit their job requirements, have a good attitude and a willingness to work...

Old 02-10-2016, 03:21 AM

4 posts, read 2,283 times
Hello @unifixed. Thanks a lot for your reply! It was really helpful

Old 02-10-2016, 05:58 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Sorry, couldn't resist... There are many ways, but it's hard to give you advice without knowing anything about you.

1) Networking -- do you know people who know people who are in a position to create a job or put you in a job?
2) Become marketable -- do this by developing marketable skills, developing experience (other jobs, life, etc), and having a solid resume. Develop your interviewing skills to sell yourself, the skills and such only get you into the interview.
3) Intern. Sometimes this is the best way to get your foot in the door.
4) Move where the work is. This is what I did out of school because I knew exactly what I was looking for... I was looking for a springboard job to set me up for even better jobs in a short period of time. I found my springboard job 1000 miles from home and went for it. Best decision I could have made.
5) Know when it is time to progress/move. Most people don't get into an 'awesome' job right away. They have to bounce around, network, and develop skills and resume glitter until they get there. One of the worst things you can do is stick around in one place so long that you plateau and it is no longer useful toward your career advancement.

Best of luck.
Great post. Repped for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search