Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 12:50 PM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times

Advertisements

Five months ago, I saw a job posting for a position that I would absolutely love to have. I submitted my information online, and soon after I contacted them via email to check the status. I was told that all interviews had been scheduled.

A couple of months later, the job was posted again. Figuring what the heck, I wrote a cover letter and sent in my resume again, this time through the mail. I never heard anything, nor did they ever respond to my next email.

This past Thursday, the job was posted again. What gives? Would it be worth applying again? Clearly they didn't care for me despite my credentials and genuine love of their product. But at the same time, they don't seem to have liked anyone else either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,733 times
Here is what you have to do.

Is the job one of many, or is it a unique position? For example, I am in sales, so if I see an opening for Account Manager there is a huge chance that there are at least several other folks who have the same job. However, if the title is Director of Sales, there may only be one such position.

In any case, whatever it is, look for people with similar titles who work at the company on LinekdIn. Connect with them and send them a message. I usually say:

"Hi so and so,

We don't know each other, but I was really hoping that you can help me out with some advice regarding your company ACME INC. I noticed a job posting for ABC Engineer and I was hoping that you can tell me a bit more about the work as you have the same title/or if you can tell me a bit more about the company and the department. If you are open to having a quick 5-10 minute chat, please let me know. And if you are not interested, feel free to ignore.

Thanks in advance,

michael917
555-123-1234"

This way at least 50% of folks you contact would be open to speaking with you and you can make a real connection and find out the inner workings of the company. There is a chance you may find the person who is the actual hiring manager. I usually try to contact 2-3 people who work for them first and then reach out to them, so I have at least 1-2 people on their team who can vouch for me. It happened in my last interview. I contacted one lady, she spoke to me, gave me a lot of great info so I can ace my interview. And when I interviewed the boss mentioned that the person I spoke to mentioned me to her. Score...

Old 02-27-2016, 03:26 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Seeing the same job re-posted multiple times within a 5-month span leads me to believe they have a turnover problem. I'd do some digging on Glassdoor and other employee review sites to get an idea of what is going on behind the scenes.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:37 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
I wouldn't apply again.

Not to sound like a negative nancy, but there's a reason why they haven't replied to you the second time.

If any job really wanted you as an applicant, then they'd let you know sooner than later. Or they'd contact you since they have your resume and cover letter on file.

I mean, doesn't hurt to apply again.

I've had one job posting where I applied and reapplied year after year, sometimes never hearing back, and I believe one time they sent me a canned rejection response ("sorry but we are looking at other applicants at this time"). Actually, it's the company I work for now.

How did I get in? Only because I knew a former co-worker there, and he forwarded my resume to the hiring manager and put in a very good word on my behalf. Bingo, finally got an interview and a job offer.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:13 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
This past Thursday, the job was posted again. What gives? Would it be worth applying again? Clearly they didn't care for me despite my credentials and genuine love of their product. But at the same time, they don't seem to have liked anyone else either.
So what have you done since then? You are going to take the bet that they will like you now if you didn't improve skills from last time?

Maybe they are desperate enough to hire someone they passed over before? It's a losing bet even if you get a job if they are willing to settle for anyone that applies out of desperation... wouldn't be a good environment since people would be jumping ship while you are getting on

If you apply again make sure to detail why you are a stronger candidate than before. So don't turn in same application...

Old 02-29-2016, 01:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Seeing the same job re-posted multiple times within a 5-month span leads me to believe they have a turnover problem. I'd do some digging on Glassdoor and other employee review sites to get an idea of what is going on behind the scenes.
Another situation is one that happened to me few years ago, for a position requiring a fairly unique set of skills. None of the applicants turned out to be suitable, so we started over, with a broader reaching recruitment. The second time we found and hired someone but she was the only one of that group really qualified, or we would have done a 3rd round. In those days, at the tail end of the recession, many people exaggerated their qualifications or lied, and it was easy to tell in the interviews. Recently that has changed a lot, and we get far fewer applicants of which most are qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search