Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:53 PM

602 posts, read 505,342 times

Advertisements

@fishbrains - Thanks; your comments pretty much sum up what I've been told from other sources of what is and isn't required to be provided along the lines of other names you've used. (Your point may be a good argument for parents with transgender or other gender-questioning children who are transitioning with their help to go ahead and legally change the child's name once they have made a "final" decision on transitioning and name choice rather than make them wait until they're older - in contrast to the advice usually heard when a child wants to change their name merely because they dislike what their parents named them. That also applies to hormone therapy which works better when not forced to go through the "wrong" puberty, but that's OT here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 04:18 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
Unless the language or name would be indicative of membership in a religion or national origin group which is stigmatized or don't want to bring up to your employer (e.g. no need to mention that you speak Hebrew if you don't want to indicate that you are Jewish; or if you have a name that you are known by to your church and that would be suggestive of your religion which you have a right to keep private; or if you were adopted as a child and given a more "Western" name and pass for white, or your adoption record was sealed and given a new birth certificate, and don't want/need to bring up your birth name; or if you're transgender and all your past work/education records have been updated to reflect your current legal name after transitioning and you have no criminal history under your prior name and don't want to "out" yourself if not otherwise necessary [in the present times this is probably the most egregious of these scenarios]).

Also, sorry if I was a bit over-analytical about this (I was bringing up the points from my debate).
Knowing more than one language is a choice and is therefore not considered discrimination. This has come up in court many times and always been upheld. Just because someone knows Hebrew does not necessarily mean they are Jewish. Just like if someone knows Arabic, it doesn't mean they are Muslim.

Other names means things like maiden or previous married names. If someone is trying to verify employment of Jane Smith with ABC Company, but Jane's legal name was Jane Doe when she worked at ABC, HR at ABC is going to say they never heard of Jane, and Jane will be assumed to be lying on her resume and it will go in the trash. Same if Jane go married and changed her name since graduating from college. So why wouldn't Jane want her potential employer to know that some records may be under Jane Doe?

Old 03-26-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Other names means things like maiden or previous married names. If someone is trying to verify employment of Jane Smith with ABC Company, but Jane's legal name was Jane Doe when she worked at ABC, HR at ABC is going to say they never heard of Jane, and Jane will be assumed to be lying on her resume and it will go in the trash. Same if Jane go married and changed her name since graduating from college. So why wouldn't Jane want her potential employer to know that some records may be under Jane Doe?
In that case there is no problem with saying that she worked as Jane Doe, because this is both a case of both the name being a practical necessity to know in order to verify employment and no discrimination is at stake here by divulging her former name. Now if her former name was "John Smith" (i.e. transgender) or if she was "Jane Doe" only as a child then what has been said up-thread would apply.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:30 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think that if you scrutinize life this way, I wouldn't want to hire you.
Me, neither.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,279 times
Hello
Replying to your to publications, i have over 8 years experience
I am capable and willing. i am very hard working. if you give me the opportunity you will not be disappointed.
Email: [email]mikezinok1@gmail.com[/email]
Telephone: 13472254629
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Proficiency in troubleshooting and find solutions to client queries.
• Good problem solving skills along with the ability to maintain calm under pressure.
• Basic understanding of PC hardware set-up and configuration.
• structured approach to problem solving.
• Working Knowledge of Microsoft Server 2003/2008
• Basic understanding of LAN and WAN
• Working Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite; MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Knowledge Of Blackberry Phones, Andriod Iphones Tablets And Other Gadget
• Ability to learn and adapt to a new and challenging working environment
• Strong analytical and organizational ability to work with little or no supervision and
under pressure
• Troubleshooting and maintenance of computer hardwares such as smart moblie phones,
printers wireless network devices and audiovisual devices
• Repair of smart Phones eg. Blackberry Phones, Andriod phones, Samsung phones,
Iphones and Tablets
* Terminate Cat 6 and Cat 5 cables
• CCTV and IP Camera Installer * TCP/IP
* Mac OS X, Microsoft OS's, ex. XP, Vista, 7, etc
* Network Hardware, ex. Routers, switches, hubs, etc
* Small office/Home office networking
* Ethernet and USB connections
* Internet related technologies; wireless internet systems experience a plus.
*General network troubleshooting skills
*Indoor and outdoor network cabling
*Basic installation methodologies, including climbing ladders, rooftop/chimney/outdoor mounting

Thank you

Old 03-30-2016, 07:14 AM

i need a job and i don't mind forfeiting my first 2 weeks pay just to prove, what i can do and how hard work, honest i am. looking for IT Workstation Support, Desktop Support Operator, Support Technician, Desktop Support Tech, and Information Technology Technician

Old 03-30-2016, 07:16 AM

i am not a green card but came in with a visa legally

Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think that if you scrutinize life this way, I wouldn't want to hire you.
I concur with your assessment.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:54 AM

On this subject I was in a discussion with a transman who is preparing to do his name change, and he talked about seeing if he could get it sealed "so he wouldn't have to disclose his birth name to future employers" (under the same logic that if you get your criminal record sealed it doesn't have to be disclosed). I tried explaining that there's a different reasoning between those two inquiries, along the lines of means vs. ends or process vs. outcome (one's criminal record is an "end" or "outcome" that an employer can normally use as a factor in hiring/other decisions, while a person's former name is a "mean" or "process" used to verify their credentials and background*). I told him what he needs to do if he doesn't want to "out" himself to future employers:
1. Contact EVERY employer you've ever worked at pre-transition (or at least those in the time frame the application asks for) and ask them to acknowledge your new name in their records.
2. Contact EVERY college/university/other post-secondary school (and preferably your high school as well) you've ever attended pre-transition and ask them to update your records to indicate your new name/gender. Likewise with any professional licenses you have.
3. Make sure all of your references know your new name.
4. Have NO criminal history whatsoever (including minor offenses) under your old name.
5. Contact all your creditors from within the time frame your credit report covers and before your name change, and ask them to put your debts under your new name (if the company does a credit check).
Of course if you transition anytime after age 18 or so (as fishbrains said) it will probably be impossible to cover ALL of the above bases, so unless the employer does not check any records that may be under your old name you won't have a choice regardless of whether your name change record is "public" or not.

*With transgender applicants there is of course the concern (besides how a name change due to gender reassignment due to the sensitive and medical nature behind the change should be treated with increased scrutiny, as opposed to for example a marriage-based name change or where one merely dislikes their birth name) that an employer may inappropriately (and in some areas illegally) use what is supposed to be just the process as an outcome to discriminate against them due to indicating they are transgender when no other clues that they are existed. Unfortunately if they need the vehicle (the former name) to get to the destination (one's background records) then you can be required to provide it, but if they just want to see the vehicle without a destination they need it for then you have a defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search