Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:41 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
For someone with mental health and quitting when things get tough issues?

NOPE
Military won't take anyone with Psych issues. They can afford to be picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Do Americans not receive unemployment benefit? Or are unmarried single women with children the only people eligible for government assistance?

To the OP - few people choose unemployment as a lifestyle. In the UK, you get a very small amount to live on - just enough to buy food, and even then it's a struggle. I have no doubt in my mind that you're very unhappy with your current situation and want to find a job. It's hard, when you have been unemployed for a certain amount of time - and it's easy to give up after a while, because you feel like no matter what you do, it's just not effective. But you'll find something eventually. You're only 21 and you have many, many years of working ahead of you.
U.S. unemployment benefits require having had a job.

OP says the only job he/she had was a "temporary" job with a county work program. Temporary jobs, like seasonal work, do not qualify for unemployment benefits in the U.S.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:50 PM

32 posts, read 36,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What state gives "welfare" to an able bodied, childless, unemployed, not in school, 21 year old and does so for 2 years?

Seem the OP has a flair for fiction.
New York State, when you tell them if you go 'home' you're going to either be kicked out and homeless, or be forcibly committed. Which (I believed, at the time) was my actual situation. I understood it to be my only chance at making some sort of change in my life. Maybe it was a terrible decision. I'm stuck with it now.

Since when is assistance only for single mothers?

I've only received benefits for one year, not even. I'm desperate to get off it soon, which is making this joblessness so distressing.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:57 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Given all the constraints you are facing, I'm wondering if Job Corps might be the best option for you- it won't cost you anything, will provide you a place to live, will help you train for a job, and you are in the right age group.

"Job Corps offers hands-on training in more than 100 career technical areas, including: automotive and machine repair, construction, finance and business services, health care, hospitality, information technology, manufacturing, renewable resources, and many more. All training programs are aligned with industry certifications and are designed to meet the requirements of today's careers.

Job Corps also offers the opportunity to earn a high school diploma or a GED for those youth who don't have either. For youth who already have a high school diploma, Job Corps can help them prepare for college through partnerships with local colleges. Resources are also available for English Language Learners.

Courses in independent living, employability skills, and social skills are offered to all Job Corps students in order to help them make the transition into the workplace. For more information, please see our Recruiting Website."

Here is a link to the programs in New York State - https://recruiting.jobcorps.gov/Home/Locations/NY/

here is the main recruiting site for the program: https://recruiting.jobcorps.gov/

Old 03-29-2016, 03:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScientiaOmnisEst View Post
New York State, when you tell them if you go 'home' you're going to either be kicked out and homeless, or be forcibly committed. Which (I believed, at the time) was my actual situation. I understood it to be my only chance at making some sort of change in my life. Maybe it was a terrible decision. I'm stuck with it now.

Since when is assistance only for single mothers?

I've only received benefits for one year, not even. I'm desperate to get off it soon, which is making this joblessness so distressing.
What is the name of this benefit program?

You are an adult. Parents are not required to support their adult children.

SNAP ( food stamps) are limited to 3 months in any 3 year time for able bodied, non-senior qualifying adults.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:16 PM

32 posts, read 36,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What is the name of this benefit program?

You are an adult. Parents are not required to support their adult children.

SNAP ( food stamps) are limited to 3 months in any 3 year time for able bodied, non-senior qualifying adults.
Yes, I know they're not. Homelessness, however, can land one in a social services office.

Huh? I've renewed several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Given all the constraints you are facing, I'm wondering if Job Corps might be the best option for you- it won't cost you anything, will provide you a place to live, will help you train for a job, and you are in the right age group.

Here is a link to the programs in New York State - https://recruiting.jobcorps.gov/Home/Locations/NY/

here is the main recruiting site for the program: https://recruiting.jobcorps.gov/
I'll look into this, thanks.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:44 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Join the military and get off your butt.
No, the military already has enough lazy and mentally weak millennials in ranks already.

Do you really want another depressed, anxious, unemployable quitter to have easy access to live rounds and the means to propel them? Most likely they would only be a danger to themselves, but it would be a disaster if they decided to murder their brothers in arms due to their own depression.

I saw plenty of people who fit this and similar descriptions when I went through training and while it's a good thing half of them get weeded out (or simply quit which seems to be a pattern with this one), but there are plenty who make it through too, and that's a shame.

The only constructive ideas I have at the moment are to join some sort of hippie commune. At least then she won't have to feel bad about stealing MY tax dollars through welfare abuse.

Or maybe do some Yoga. There are a couple of places in this country where she can work for the right to stay on the facility, and maybe in a couple decades could become a Swami or some such thing. At least she'd be happy once her Chakrams get aligned.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:11 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,038 times
Hey OP, first of all college isn't for everyone. In fact it is a horrible decision for many and causes huge economic problems for them when they get their bachelors degree, and are working jobs where no college is required.

1. You first need to find out what you like to do. Don't give me the lazy answer of nothing. Everyone likes to do something.

2. Once you figure out what you are leaning towards, you need to look for a career that works in that area. For instance, lets say you like animals. Ok, then you look for Vet. Tech. Because of your income, you will qualify for full financial aid for state technical schools. In fact you may not have to pay a single dime. This is the best path in the long run, not getting a job you hate, and then be economically stuck with.

3. Most charities will arrange for transportation for volunteers. This is how you build skills and interpersonal relationships. Dog shelters are need dog walkers and people to clean the kennels. Habitat for Humanity needs general laborers to build low income housing, and clean public places. Use your internet skills and call everyone in your area. The best way to build yourself is by helping others. You need to get out of your rut.

My sister was very similar to you. She dropped out of high school due to mental issues. She seemed to be in a loop of getting a job and getting fired. She eventually went to school and is a Vet. Tech. That is the reason I mentioned it. She loves working with animals and the Vet. she works for is like a mother to her. She has a great relationship at work and is doing fine.

You need to figure out what you like, and then use the situation you are in to your advantage.

I wish you the best.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 PM

179 posts, read 122,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScientiaOmnisEst View Post
I've tried things like advertising services (cleaning, yardwork) on Craigslist. No one answers. And transport is a problem.
I made my living on Craigslist for years, using a truck I paid $800 for. You have a long list of excuses and you seem to be reminding yourself what they are. Other people try, and succeed. I agree with the previous statement, hunger is a good motivator. Some people just have a lower "bottom" than others. Hope you find your bottom soon.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:30 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
Join the military and get off your butt.
*Sigh* Why do so many people suggest the military for people who don't have their **** together, like it's reform school and will change the persons life.

Quote:
He doesn't have a perm mental problem, he has a temporary psych issue because of his circumstances. You would be too if you are under these conditions, his problem can be corrected with the right environment change.
You clearly have NO understanding of the actual enlistment process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search