Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 03:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,331,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I've never had an employer ever be concerned with any grade in anything. Degree, or no degree.
Same here. Employers usually check to make sure you really do have the degree(s) you say you have. They might look at your overall GPA. But a grade in a particular class? Stop fretting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,752,692 times
People in general doesn't care about their GPA unless they're going for scholarships or internships. I can ask people at my college what their GPA is and most of the time, I'd get a blank stare or they have no idea.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:00 AM

278 posts, read 336,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
I can't agree with this at all. I know at least a hundred people who are either in their first job or who have been interviewing for it in high tech, (Meaning: EE/ECE, CS, IT, etc), in addition to myself

No one has ever asked me or any of them for a transcript other than maybe for verifying degree/GPA claims after the offer was already extended, and certainly not for any sort of standardized test score. Quite frankly, it'd be absurd.

None of the tech majors care in the slightest about GPA. What they do care about is that you can pass their technical interview and other layers of interviewing.
I'm also in the tech industry. Who the hell asks for and scans transcripts? Oh yeah, I came from Silicon Valley also, the world capitol of high tech. Companies will just verify degree completion. No one gives a crap about your gpa. I don't even believe schools are allowed to release your transcripts to 3rd parties without your permission. Bottom line is that they won't give a crap about what's on your transcript.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
The only time I've had to provide transcripts were for federal jobs and some state jobs. I do remember arguing with some idiot HR person from some state govt the interchangeability of molecular biology and biochemistry in terms of course title (never could get through to her but that is HR for you ignorant and dense).

Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times
The only time I've had to provide transcripts was to prove I had the degree I claimed to have.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:05 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,752,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Then you know little about screening for tech jobs. Finance jobs are even worse. A hiring manager at Goldman Sachs has a stack of 10,000 resumes for that pressure cooker finance job with a 90% wash-out rate. Anybody with any blemish on their transcript is going to be rejected. With screening, I'm also looking at SAT, GRE, GMAT, or whatever standardized tests are available to screen out the less bright applicants. I won't hire somebody with less than a 650 SAT Math score for a software engineering job.

I usually have a very limited budget and can't afford to make hiring mistakes. I'm screening for smart, work ethic, communication ability, and ability to work with a team. Subject matter expertise is less important as long as their overall background is adequate because somebody smart enough with the work ethic is going to come up to speed quickly. If I see a D, that makes me very suspicious about work ethic.

If you're hiring a convenience store manager, who cares. If you're hiring into a high tech team where anybody with 5+ years in is 6 figures and everybody is a high achiever, a D is a big problem. A good hiring manager always tries to hire people better than they are. The old saying with managers is "A's hire A's, B's hire C's". It's amazing how much damage a weak hiring manager can do to an engineering organization in a year or two.
If I ran my own tech company, I hire based on technical ability or knowledge. What good would an A student do if they have no knowledge or the skills based on a job that I post? For instance, I post a job for a web developer position. That A student might look good on paper but if they don't know how to code in PHP or build content with wordpress, I won't hire them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search