Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 09:51 AM

77 posts, read 71,631 times

Advertisements

If it's true that "everything but a STEM degree is useless in today's job market" [source: forum consensus], and a lot of the young generation flocks to that (me included) with hopes of staying employable until the robot revolution, the job market is oversaturated. The people who graduated 10 years ago seem to be pretty safe because they got in when the market really needed it. Now because the overreaction [source: parents and teachers 3-6 years ago], a lot of ambitious proto-millennials and beyond are diving headfirst into a pool that is already at capacity. It just seems that without either a) constant internships and a 3.5+ gpa or b) connections to the "good old boys" network (which seems to be what most of the T and E market is), you're out of luck. [source: my 2.75 gpa, limited internships and 2-year unsuccessful job hunt]

What are people supposed to do? Not everyone can (or wants to) be an engineer, and the "college degree" is the new "high-school diploma". There are a lot of f*cking people in the world, and as much as we all want it, our interests and natural talents don't always line up with today's hot employment trend. (or in the case of current students, whatever the hot job market will be in another 3-6 years) And besides, in today's world, the concept of a satisfying and stable career-worthy job is fading... I can't even begin to imagine what future generations will face.

I don't know if I actually have a question or a point to make, it's just a little frustrating to see the potential careers and jobs of young kids, current students and recent grads completely dismissed as useless or irrelevant. Some things can't "just be done as hobbies".

Last edited by TrumPockets; 04-06-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 01:59 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
I agree but there's much you can do.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:21 PM

404 posts, read 366,559 times
So what did you get your degree in? My BA is in History...BIG MiSTAKE! Anyways, I just wrote about this very topic, take a look and put in your 2 cents if you like. Its on page 4

Unemployable with a Master's degree

Old 04-06-2016, 06:50 PM

853 posts, read 647,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
So what did you get your degree in? My BA is in History...BIG MiSTAKE! Anyways, I just wrote about this very topic, take a look and put in your 2 cents if you like. Its on page 4

Unemployable with a Master's degree
Hello Down in a Hole, I feel curious to know about your own story. I can tell you that history, despite it could be a fascinating degree (I like history but only as a hobby), in my country is one of those degrees that have the highest unemployment rates in terms of high educated people. Most of them are unemployed, underemployed or just working in retail or even emigrating to other countries to be in a similar situation. It is sad but is the truth.

Now, I want to know what´s the reality about history degree and similar ones in United States, some years ago I was curious to know about that. Is that country a good place to work for people that studied history?

Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Ok forget about what title is on your degree. What did you learn? What knowledge and skill do you bring to the table? College is about the education you got, not the piece of paper. Those who understand that will come out ahead of those who think college is about the title.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
My degree is in English. I bring critical thinking, customer service and integrity to the table.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:32 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumPockets View Post
If it's true that "everything but a STEM degree is useless in today's job market" [source: forum consensus], and a lot of the young generation flocks to that (me included) with hopes of staying employable until the
robot revolution, the job market is oversaturated. The people who graduated 10 years ago seem to be pretty safe because they got in when the market really needed it. Now because the overreaction [source: parents and teachers 3-6 years ago], a lot of ambitious proto-millennials and beyond are diving headfirst into a pool that is already at capacity. It just seems that without either a) constant internships and a 3.5+ gpa or b) connections to the "good old boys" network (which seems to be what most of the T and E market is), you're out of luck. [source: my 2.75 gpa, limited internships and 2-year unsuccessful job hunt]

What are people supposed to do? Not everyone can (or wants to) be an engineer, and the "college degree" is the new "high-school diploma". There are a lot of f*cking people in the world, and as much as we all want it, our interests and natural talents don't always line up with today's hot employment trend. (or in the case of current students, whatever the hot job market will be in another 3-6 years) And besides, in today's world, the concept of a satisfying and stable career-worthy job is fading... I can't even begin to imagine what future generations will face.

I don't know if I actually have a question or a point to make, it's just a little frustrating to see the potential careers and jobs of young kids, current students and recent grads completely dismissed as useless or irrelevant. Some things can't "just be done as hobbies".
OP I agree, it is can be very, very aggravating. You are essentially told as a kid you can "be whatever you want to be study, whatever you want to study, follow your passion" then you hit college and find out that unless you study/passionate about Medical (nursing, doctor, etc...) accounting, engineering, computer science etc... type majors then you are screwed. So all the people whose passion is history, sociology, English, psychology etc... sorry - your passion doesn't count.

And yes not everyone wants to be an engineer whether it is because he/she can't handle the subject matter or has no interest in it. So what happens most likely then you have to take a job that maybe you are not exactly passionate about (customer support) and slowly work your way into a better job (technical writer). Either that or you go back to school for a more marketable degree.

I don't want to say that English and the LA degrees are completely useless, because they are not and there are successful people out there with LA degrees- however the LA should know, be made aware the he/she will more than likely have a harder time/ take a longer time in getting that dream job than their friend who majored in nursing and is now working as a nurse.

OP all I can say is keep applying, if not already find some general , entry level type job where you can work your way up to a better job- Or as I said earlier, go back to school for a more marketable degree.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:49 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I reject the premise that everything but STEM is useless.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:13 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
So what did you get your degree in? My BA is in History...BIG MiSTAKE
Based on your postings, you were a History teacher for a while. Although you've gone a different route, I don't think it is fair to call your degree useless as you were actually doing something involved with it for a period of time.

A degree tends to become less and less important as people grow throughout their career and go different directions. The guy who interviewed me at a place last year graduated in 1984 with a degree in Criminal Justice. After looking at his LinkedIn profile, he really didn't do anything involved with it since he acquired it. He's an executive of a recruiting company now and has been for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search