Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:11 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

I've gotten offers through Linkedin. As others have mentioned, though, it'll depend on your background. Also, like others have written, having a picture definitely matters! Don't expect any reputable company rep to send an offer to chat to someone who they have no idea what they look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 06:49 PM

546 posts, read 764,505 times
i put linkedin on my resume to show my face pic. so they can judge off of it. and choose to call for interview or not.
I don't want to waste my time.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:59 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisereg View Post
If you're in an in-demand profession and/or have hot skills, LinkedIn is great for passive hits by recruiters.

My personal experience is it's very good for my field/body of experience (Engineering/IT management) and my profile is not one of the better ones - I don't have have anything beyond a summary, job titles, company and dates, but I do include a patent, an award and I have 8 recommendations. It's been enough to get me phone interviews with Google and Amazon and a few years back Microsoft flew me out for an interview, all through just being on LinkedIn.

My current job, I got through a recommendation with a past co-worker, no LinkedIn involved

LinkedIn doesn't hurt, so even if there is a possibility of something positive happening from have a profile there, why not use it?
That's a great story about Microsoft interviewing you just from find your Linkedin profile. I've had phone interviews with well-known tech giants as well from my Linkedin profile. There were no job offers from the bigger companies for me, but the interviewing was good practice as it would be if any company is interested, well known or not.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:48 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,703 times
Thanks everyone! I am actually in the field if engineering. Upon looking in indeed.com saw that a lot of places dont match my salary, so I was hoping linkedin would help me on that part

what recommendations do you recommend to add in linkedin? and how do you get noticed by head hunters?

Old 04-24-2016, 08:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Thanks everyone! I am actually in the field if engineering. Upon looking in indeed.com saw that a lot of places dont match my salary, so I was hoping linkedin would help me on that part

what recommendations do you recommend to add in linkedin? and how do you get noticed by head hunters?
Recommendations are write ups by others about you that appear under your profile. You can solicit for them by writing one for someone else and they write one for you in return but just use caution when doing that. I'd ask a friend you have worked with to write on up for you. That's the quickest way to get one for your profile.

The more connections you have on Linkedin, the more the headhunters notice you via others' connections.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:03 PM

853 posts, read 648,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
The more connections you have on Linkedin, the more the headhunters notice you via others' connections.
Exactly, now I have more than 1000 connections and I am planning to extend those to 5000, it´s a really hard work but works.

Tonight I´ll have a cold phone calling thanks to a linkedin connection, yes, it´s weird to have a cold calling on sunday night. Wish me good luck please.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Exactly, now I have more than 1000 connections and I am planning to extend those to 5000, it´s a really hard work but works.

Tonight I´ll have a cold phone calling thanks to a linkedin connection, yes, it´s weird to have a cold calling on sunday night. Wish me good luck please.
well good luck on that!!

so as far as connections, I do not know many people. Would be ok to just add random connections? id figure this takes time, and perhaps I should add CV's certificates, etc.

problem with people endorsing me is, I do not have many people I know. During my work days, it would only be maybe 2 - 3 employees who manage just about everything.

Any other opinions form you guys if linkedin definitely should be worth a shot?

Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
I am still trying to figure LinkinedIn out. I have "connected" with a few employees at my currently company that work in a department I would like to work in. I have wrote a short introduction, they accept my request. I then send an inbox requesting more info about the department, but they never write back. Does that come off creepy?

I got one inbox from a stranger. She wanted to connect with me and sent me a list of jobs she wanted to apply to. I am not HR and at an entry level position. I was rather confused. I told her to go on the company's website and apply. I have no influence.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:28 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I am still trying to figure LinkinedIn out. I have "connected" with a few employees at my currently company that work in a department I would like to work in. I have wrote a short introduction, they accept my request. I then send an inbox requesting more info about the department, but they never write back. Does that come off creepy?

I got one inbox from a stranger. She wanted to connect with me and sent me a list of jobs she wanted to apply to. I am not HR and at an entry level position. I was rather confused. I told her to go on the company's website and apply. I have no influence.
If it's someone at your current employer, I'd try to develop a rapport with them outside of LinkedIn, unless it's a major company and you have no chance to work with them at all.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:38 AM

so the more connections you have, the more chances you have of getting spotted by a head hunter. So, I just randomly start adding people on linkedin? I am in the IT / engineering field of work, so I was thinking of adding as many IT recruiters as possible. However, I do not have many friends, so most I have now is about 20 people

and when someone contacts you, do they usually interview through video/phone/linkedin? or how does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search