Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 167,135 times

Advertisements

I am sure I passed it as I have no crime etc and the job does not have a thorough long background check like a bank or government job and it is not a very high up job, but I wanna make sure. The background check probably consists of crime check, employer references, drug test, education check (I doubt credit check).

My question is that if I did fail the background check, would they tell me instantly or wait for no reason to tell me at the last moment before I was supposed to start?

I had a interview on the Wednesday December 28th and after the interview ended they said I was hired and that I start the job training class on the January 16th.

28th- Wednesday- Interview
29th- Thursday
30th- Friday- Drug test

(31st-2nd)= Weekend plus holiday

3rd- Tuesday- they called my former employers
4th- Wednesday
5th- Thursday
6th- Friday

(7th-8th)= Weekend

9th- Monday

I am sure the background check is completed by now. It was probably completed on Tuesday the 3rd or maybe the 4th/5th at the latest. Is it safe to say I passed the background check since they have not called me, emailed me, sent me a letter in the mail about failing the background check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 11:59 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
They probably farm the checks out to another company. Considering your start date, if you haven't heard anything by now, I assume you are okay. If you have been honest on your application, don't have any criminal convictions and passed the drug test, there is no reason to assume you aren't going to pass the background check.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 166,668 times
Speaking of background check, does it including the contract agency?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 164,780 times
i was hired a month and a half ago with no problems,, my boss let me go yesterday and said i lied to her and i never lied to her. She never told me why. do i have a right to see my employee file so i can find out.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1971 View Post
i was hired a month and a half ago with no problems,, my boss let me go yesterday and said i lied to her and i never lied to her. She never told me why. do i have a right to see my employee file so i can find out.
You can ask to see it, but it doesn't mean they will let you see your file. In addition, whatever it was that you supposedly lied about may not even be in the file. If someone gets fired and is told it's because the employee lied about something (if I'm not mistaken), I believe the employer is compelled to tell the employee what the alleged lie was. If a background check comes back with derogatory information, that should be disclosed, as well. I can't believe that a company would hire someone without having the background check completed and then come back and tell the person they were fired because they lied about "something." This is in my opinion, of course, so any HR (bunny?) person that may know more, please feel free to elaborate.

Did you ask what the lie was about?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1971 View Post
Not sure on your rights but sounds like BS. There could have been some miscommunication somewhere along the line. Some people read or hear something different from what they thought and will sometimes think the worst.

I'd at the very least push to see what the "lie" is so this doesn't bite you in the butt down the road.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Depends on two things:

The company that is doing the check for the company that is looking to hire you

The types of reports they're checking

First, some companies suck and can take weeks to complete a report. Some are really fast and take only a few days.

Second, if they're doing just criminal it is usually pretty quick (just 2-3 days). If they're verifying your employment history, education, or doing reference checks it will depend on being able to get a hold of someone. That can take a while because verifying the dates of employment for a former employee isn't on the top of priority lists for over-worked/under-paid HR staff workers, so they can take a few more days.

If it's taking a long time, that is a bad sign for you.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwf19988 View Post
I am sure I passed it as I have no crime etc and the job does not have a thorough long background check like a bank or government job and it is not a very high up job, but I wanna make sure. The background check probably consists of crime check, employer references, drug test, education check (I doubt credit check).

My question is that if I did fail the background check, would they tell me instantly or wait for no reason to tell me at the last moment before I was supposed to start?

I had a interview on the Wednesday December 28th and after the interview ended they said I was hired and that I start the job training class on the January 16th.

28th- Wednesday- Interview
29th- Thursday
30th- Friday- Drug test

(31st-2nd)= Weekend plus holiday

3rd- Tuesday- they called my former employers
4th- Wednesday
5th- Thursday
6th- Friday

(7th-8th)= Weekend

9th- Monday

I am sure the background check is completed by now. It was probably completed on Tuesday the 3rd or maybe the 4th/5th at the latest. Is it safe to say I passed the background check since they have not called me, emailed me, sent me a letter in the mail about failing the background check?
Based on my experience, 10 business days

I was hired on 12/17 and the Background check was complete on 12/28

Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Absolutely ANY time the calling of references is involved, it can cause the process to take a lot longer....

Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Look at the other background check thread in this forum. You may be entitled to a copy of the background check your employer performed. I would tell the employer that to the best of your recollection you did not misrepresent, let alone lie, regarding your background or qualifications and that you need to determine the source of the inconsistency. Perhaps the author of of the post in this thread would help you draft a short professional demand letter. That is not my area of expertise which is why I suggest you contact that poster.

That said, and employer can fire an employee at any time for almost any reason. Their rationale may not be in the background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search