Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:51 PM

70 posts, read 61,367 times

Advertisements

Would you apply for the same job for 3rd time?

1st time I applied, the interview went well but another person was hired.

2nd time, I was actually invited by the hiring manager to come back and interview for the position again.

The second time has left a sour taste in my mouth. I made time in my busy schedule for this interview, drove all the way to the location, and paid for expensive downtown parking. The interview went well again and I was told they would be making a decision in the next two weeks. I sent my thank you note right after the interview. Two weeks passed by and there was no response so I called the interview and left him a voice mail. After this, a week passed and no reply. Next, I left a follow up email and left it at that.

Nearly 2.5 months after the interview, the interviewer finally gave me a call to apologize for leaving me hanging and that he had filled the position.

The position is now open again. It's a great position but I feel like it might be stupid to apply for this again seeing how he left me hanging waiting for a response when he asked me to come interview again. Note: This is a government job, so I know the process can be longer but I feel like this was very rude.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 02:56 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I'd not want that job if I was turned down twice already.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:17 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
Since it's a government job it could be an "insider" is really getting the position, they are just going through the motions with the interview process. Since you've interviewed twice for the position, why not just send an email to the interviewer that you see it's open again and that you are still interested. If you interview again, don't leave a voicemail, just call the person until you get them. Or consult with the civil service board, as I said sometimes they already have someone in mind they just go through the motions, particularly local govt.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:56 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Since it's a government job it could be an "insider" is really getting the position, they are just going through the motions with the interview process. Since you've interviewed twice for the position, why not just send an email to the interviewer that you see it's open again and that you are still interested. If you interview again, don't leave a voicemail, just call the person until you get them. Or consult with the civil service board, as I said sometimes they already have someone in mind they just go through the motions, particularly local govt.
I'm in a state government and it is similar. There's also the illusory job posting. We have a lot of those. It's not that the agency doesn't want to hire, because it does, but once we interview the candidates and make a selection, the agency executive won't actually approve the selected candidates for hire. We've also had a couple either not show up on their start date or go through really protracted salary negotiations, which also resulted in the position listings expiring before a person could be selected. In those cases, choice #2 could be a great candidate but we never got to person #2 because we thought we were going to hire choice #1. I think we actually did have someone come work at my place who interviewed for my job one week, another job a couple of weeks later, and then they called him on a third job that was not advertised. It certainly happens.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:22 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avangeliz View Post

2nd time, I was actually invited by the hiring manager to come back and interview for the position again.

The second time has left a sour taste in my mouth. I made time in my busy schedule for this interview, drove all the way to the location, and paid for expensive downtown parking. The interview went well again and I was told they would be making a decision in the next two weeks. I sent my thank you note right after the interview. Two weeks passed by and there was no response so I called the interview and left him a voice mail. After this, a week passed and no reply. Next, I left a follow up email and left it at that.

Nearly 2.5 months after the interview, the interviewer finally gave me a call to apologize for leaving me hanging and that he had filled the position.

The position is now open again. It's a great position but I feel like it might be stupid to apply for this again seeing how he left me hanging waiting for a response when he asked me to come interview again. Note: This is a government job, so I know the process can be longer but I feel like this was very rude.

Any thoughts?
I'd apply once more....Then never again....Obviously something is going wonky if they keep having that position opening....

Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 AM

238 posts, read 315,532 times
I applied for a job that was posted at a community college as an evaluator. I wasn't the selected candidate, but during the interview, I asked what their future plans were for the department, and they told me that they were adding a couple of more openings of the same position. They were right, so when they reposted, I reapplied. The second time around, I didn't even get past the initial screening.

They have reposted again. I'm not reapplying. I'm not trying to get into a place where I'm definitely not wanted. The adage "Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me" is so very true in this instance.
'

Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avangeliz View Post

Any thoughts?
I would leave it alone. As someone else stated, something may not be right if the opening keeps popping up.

I interviewed at a company three times with three different sets of managers in three different years (2013, 2014, and again in 2015). I made it to the second round of interviews the first two times and then didn't make it past the first round the last time. I had employment in the same field the entire time, so I wasn't desperate. However, this company was close to home and I was trying to shorten my commute. After the third time, a former employee of that company ended up at my job. Meanwhile, another former co-worker of mine went to that company and left shortly afterwards. Through talking to both of them, it was clear that the company was a mess and it was good that I wasn't hired. Sometimes rejection is protection!

Fast forward to 2016 and this same company seems to have the same job posting up at least every other month. That is definitely not a good sign in this economy.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:55 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Go ahead and apply. What's the worse that can happen?

Me, personally? I would not, especially for a third time.

I have too much self respect for that.

As they say, fool me once....

Old 07-06-2016, 02:15 PM

521 posts, read 292,396 times
If a position is posted 3 times in a short period of time, what makes it great?! is there high turnover or what?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:40 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Go ahead and apply. What's the worse that can happen?

Me, personally? I would not, especially for a third time.

I have too much self respect for that.

As they say, fool me once....
I guess we can look at it another way. Employers claim to only want candidates who "really, REALLY" wanna work for them over all those puny other wannabees. What better way to imply this than applying three times at a company? Three applications, you really want to that job and to work for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search