Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:40 PM

602 posts, read 505,129 times

Advertisements

Unless they say that unsolicited applications/résumés are accepted I wouldn't submit one just to hope they respond now or in the future. An exception would be if an online application system allows you to build a profile ahead of time I might go ahead and do it to save some hassle later when something does come up (if it's likely I'd be looking for a position with them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:48 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How does that work anyways?

Most corporations have budgetary restrictions on numbers of personnel they can hire at each level.

Sure, one can apply or send in their resume at any time. But what's the chances of that doing anything when there's no openings?
yeah i mean that's why i asked, to get people's opinions on whether or not its worth it. but i guess i thought that since it's a cpa firm, if they took on another employee who is already experienced and up to speed they could bring in more clients/work. i feel like if it's a client based business they can only bring on a certain number of clients with a certain number of employees... so an extra employee means extra clients. i could be totally wrong though lol.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Tried it. Never go anywhere.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:33 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
I worked many years for a branch of a large corporation. If they are not hiring, mailed in or delivered in person, your resume goes in the circular file.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
yeah i mean that's why i asked, to get people's opinions on whether or not its worth it.
This is a bit different from your OP. I originally assumed you were interested in seeing if an unsolicited resume would get you blacklisted, but your more recent post asks if it is worth the effort.

No, an unsolicited resume won't get you blacklisted, but it most likely wouldn't help either. It is really, really unlikely to pay off to the extent that it is worth spending postage on.

Your job hunting time and energy are better spent tailoring applucations to advertised positions.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:18 AM

732 posts, read 969,135 times
A small company it might work, and preferably a smaller community where they might welcome some new input. Most places it won't work, but a few places it might.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM

521 posts, read 292,738 times
Online? no

Personally? maybe you can try. I got my first real job going personally to the company, gave the reception my CV, asked her if there are openings and she told me she will check. I said thank you and walked out the door.

In 2 weeks time the HR manager called me for interview and I got the job. I didn't know they have openings it was not advertised at that time.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:29 AM

560 posts, read 453,180 times
I got my job by sending resume in the mail without them having a job opening. It took 3 weeks and some no or no reponses before my job now called me for an interview. I honestly had thought it hadn't worked by the time j got the call. I've been working there for a year now. So I would say try it, it can't hurt and you could be the 1% who gets the job.

I did make sure all my resume and cover letters had a handwritten thank you note in them too. I sent out like 20 letters, I would do it again.

Never know what could happen until you try I also work for a very small law firm.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
Online? no

Personally? maybe you can try. I got my first real job going personally to the company, gave the reception my CV, asked her if there are openings and she told me she will check. I said thank you and walked out the door.

In 2 weeks time the HR manager called me for interview and I got the job. I didn't know they have openings it was not advertised at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
I got my job by sending resume in the mail without them having a job opening. It took 3 weeks and some no or no reponses before my job now called me for an interview. I honestly had thought it hadn't worked by the time j got the call. I've been working there for a year now. So I would say try it, it can't hurt and you could be the 1% who gets the job.

I did make sure all my resume and cover letters had a handwritten thank you note in them too. I sent out like 20 letters, I would do it again.

Never know what could happen until you try I also work for a very small law firm.
okay this gives me hope thank you

Old 07-15-2016, 10:57 AM

560 posts, read 453,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
okay this gives me hope thank you
Good luck! If you can maybe drop places you are really interested in person? I did that with my job and I made sure to have the lawyer name on it so the mail went to him.

I hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search