Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:05 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
Maybe my expectations are high, but something like this which is what I have received in the past after a week: Dear X, We wanted to let you know where we are in the interview process. We are still interviewing other candidates blah blah.
so then that means they are still considering other people.. Which likely means that out of the 5 people one or more didn't like you enough to stop the interviewing process and they decided to keep interviewing others and have you out as a potential candidate still. I would not take it as a good sign that "we're still interviewing" after they flew you out - unless this was stated before they invited you. I've seen that many times- where it may be a "we're down to the last 5 candidates, you're #3 on the list and the other two will be interviewed by Friday so you can expect to hear shortly after".

So i would suggest you not get your hopes up at this point- and keep looking at other opportunities. They may end up making an offer, but you never know if you'll actually accept it or not (pay could be too low etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 10:45 AM

345 posts, read 252,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
so then that means they are still considering other people.. Which likely means that out of the 5 people one or more didn't like you enough to stop the interviewing process and they decided to keep interviewing others and have you out as a potential candidate still. I would not take it as a good sign that "we're still interviewing" after they flew you out - unless this was stated before they invited you. I've seen that many times- where it may be a "we're down to the last 5 candidates, you're #3 on the list and the other two will be interviewed by Friday so you can expect to hear shortly after".

So i would suggest you not get your hopes up at this point- and keep looking at other opportunities. They may end up making an offer, but you never know if you'll actually accept it or not (pay could be too low etc)
I never get my hopes up and always keep looking. Oh well it's done. I finally contacted them yesterday and the hiring manager's manager wants someone in Chicago (I'm in Milwaukee). They brought me in because I hit it off with the hiring manager and he was fine with working remotely. Thanks for all the wise advice everyone.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:04 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Bummer. I hope the job you want comes through for you.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:06 AM

Thank you Joe.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
Quote:
Is it true that if you 'just aren't into them' you won't keep the candidate informed of what is going on in the interview process? I know it's only been 7 business days, but they flew me to Denver and I met with 5 people (the 5th person was added at the last minute). They seemed like they were really into me-When can you start? Do you have any upcoming vacation plans? Unfortunately I didn't get a timeline, but nevertheless I still think if they really wanted me I would hear something back by now (even a quick thanks to my thank you email). Thank you in advance for your experienced replies.
My current was offered to me 6 weeks after the last interview so at 7 days I would say you need to be a little more patient and let the month finish out.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 AM

Renter16 it's a done deal. They want someone in Chicago. Not sure why they wasted 3 days of my time when they knew I lived in Milwaukee, but what's done is done.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:04 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
Quote:
Renter16 it's a done deal. They want someone in Chicago. Not sure why they wasted 3 days of my time when they knew I lived in Milwaukee, but what's done is done.
Sorry to hear that man but stay positive and something will come your way. I was rejected twice before I found my current job.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:13 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Milesfive- So sorry they didn't follow up with the tentative candidates.

Best tip I got was to give them a time line. Its a two way street.

Seriously who wants to work for a company that drags their feet....they wouldn't expect you to drag your feet when in the position. Be Definitive.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Milesfive- So sorry they didn't follow up with the tentative candidates.

Best tip I got was to give them a time line. Its a two way street.

Seriously who wants to work for a company that drags their feet....they wouldn't expect you to drag your feet when in the position. Be Definitive.
I am in total agreement with you! Now that the news has sunk in I am happy I didn't get an offer. If I wouldn't have emailed them who knows if I ever would have heard back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search