Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times

Advertisements

I need some advice.

I have a definite(99.9%) temp. job offer coming in tomorrow. It is at an agency i very much like and in my career field that I just obtained a degree for. This is at a place I originally interviewed for a permanent, but was next in line and a month later the hiring manager emailed about a temp. job there.

However, I have two interviews (also in degree field) next week that are for permanent positions. One of which is actually at the same agency as temp (different unit, still in degree field).

...I am uncertain what to do and what the etiquette is for this situation.

Do I accept the temp. offer and miss out on possible permanent employment?

Do I accept but let the hiring manager know I have two interviews already scheduled this week that are permanent? And hope its okay still interviewing for those?

Do I pass on the temp. and risk not having any of the jobs?

I'm real stuck on what to do. On one hand, i very much like the agency and hiring manager that I would work for. But, the other two are permanent. At the same token, i tend to either interview extremely well or not so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 12:59 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Well, let's say that you in fact do get the temp. job offer.

If you accept it, you do NOT let the hiring manager that you have two interviews already scheduled this week.

It is common knowledge that one should never willingly tell anyone at your current job, especially higher ups, that you are looking for another job (or interviewing for another job).

In your situation, I say it is very poor etiquette and form to tell your hiring manager, at a job you just started, that you have other interviews scheduled. And if it's ok to interview for them.

You know what they say about first impressions. That's about the absolute worst thing you could tell me if I was a hiring manager. That tells me you really don't want to be there, and I would question your commitment to the job. Even if your intentions were 'noble,' the fact that you would even think of telling me such a thing is a huge red flag.

Since you seem so sure that you are getting a job offer tomorrow, negotiate a start date that will allow you to interview for the permanent positions next week. The fact that one of your interviews is at the same agency can be a bit of a sticky situation, but it is what it is.

Don't automatically assume that you're getting a job offer right after interviewing. These things can sometimes take time. So if you decide not to take the temp offer, and nothing comes of the other interviews, you're worse off since you have no job offer.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Take the temp job, keep the interviews, quit the temp job as soon as you get a perm offer. Direct employment always trumps temp and temp rarely turns into permanent employment (Only 27% even for positions labeled temp to hire).

This happens quite frequently which is why companies shouldn't dilly dally if they have a long term need and find a competent temp. A temp has even less commitment to the company than a direct employee which is absolutely none. In fact, I personally don't think temps even owes a 2 week notice. If their departure causes a disruption well too bad that is what you get for staffing an important position with a temp agency because you are unwilling to commit to an employee.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:09 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
I'll echo what others have said. Accept the temp offer and interview for the others. In fact, if the others don't pan out continue looking for a permanent position while temping. No reasonable person would hold it against you if you only ended up in the temp job for a short time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search