Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:31 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
For the weekend -

Applied:
VP of Technology - manufacturing
VP of Technology - healthcare
SVP of Technology - manfacturing
Director of Infrastructure - retail
Director of Technology Infrastructure - healthcare
Wow! These are pretty high level positions. I thought only the little people had to job hunt. Are you registered with a recruiter? I found them to be useless. I am sure someone with your experience would fare better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:39 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I thought only the little people had to job hunt.
Nope! I'm grossly underemployed at the moment...I moved with no job after a layoff, underestimated the local job market, and took what I could to pay the bills. People are hunting everywhere!

Quote:
Are you registered with a recruiter? I found them to be useless.
So, so many...and I've had the same experience as you. I can count on one hand the number of recruiters that have produced any tangible value, and these were for positions at the midpoint of my career. If you DO find one you like, treat them pretty good. But as you've noticed, they're RARE. I've had better luck with independent recruiters than recruiters working for an agency...they're a lot more motivated. As in any environment, people working for themselves TEND to have more "hustle" since their livelihood depends on it more than someone who works on salary + commission/bonus.

Quote:
I am sure someone with your experience would fare better.
It's all relative. Since I'm looking for more senior positions, there's fewer openings, and more people fighting for them. I'm currently in a city with a terrible IT economy, and then there's the usual troubles looking out-of-state. I can get a job similar to the garbage one I'm working now pretty easily (again, relative), but I was doing this kind of thing 11 years ago. I'm not sure where you're at on your career path, but if you dropped your expectations to look for a job you were doing at the halfway point in your career, it'd likely be easier too, but then....that's not the goal, is it?

I just put two more in:

VP Information Security - Logistics
VP IT - technology

Today was extra bad at work, so I was extra motivated to search when I got home.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:57 AM

345 posts, read 252,432 times
Quote:

I'm not sure where you're at on your career path, but if you dropped your expectations to look for a job you were doing at the halfway point in your career, it'd likely be easier too, but then....that's not the goal, is it?
I have dropped my expectations--willing to take 40% of what I was making since I have no debt (except a house payment which is manageable). I can't even get an interview!

Old 01-27-2017, 05:51 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I did recently apply to a part time opening at REI. I am also and outdoor enthusiast and I can deal with a p/t low pay job for now. I got a call back from them and I have an interview scheduled. This job is walking distance commute for me so that would be good too.
I had an interview for this job. I thought the interview went well.
But I just got a call that they were not able to offer me the job.

For a culture that is obsessed with working and money (to the exclusion of almost everything else), it's almost impossible to actually get a job.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:49 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Nope! I'm grossly underemployed at the moment...I moved with no job after a layoff, underestimated the local job market, and took what I could to pay the bills. People are hunting everywhere!

So, so many...and I've had the same experience as you. I can count on one hand the number of recruiters that have produced any tangible value, and these were for positions at the midpoint of my career. If you DO find one you like, treat them pretty good. But as you've noticed, they're RARE. I've had better luck with independent recruiters than recruiters working for an agency...they're a lot more motivated. As in any environment, people working for themselves TEND to have more "hustle" since their livelihood depends on it more than someone who works on salary + commission/bonus.

It's all relative. Since I'm looking for more senior positions, there's fewer openings, and more people fighting for them. I'm currently in a city with a terrible IT economy, and then there's the usual troubles looking out-of-state. I can get a job similar to the garbage one I'm working now pretty easily (again, relative), but I was doing this kind of thing 11 years ago. I'm not sure where you're at on your career path, but if you dropped your expectations to look for a job you were doing at the halfway point in your career, it'd likely be easier too, but then....that's not the goal, is it?

I just put two more in:

VP Information Security - Logistics
VP IT - technology

Today was extra bad at work, so I was extra motivated to search when I got home.
I understand where you are coming from. I was also underemployed and dealt with a recent layoff. It is really tough out there today. I honestly thought that people at your level had it easier. I hate to admit it but I have been in the same position for 15 years. It hurts to say it out loud. I just have not been able to find my way. Most employers are not willing to pay me what I made in 2013. I know someone who got laid off and had to take a $20,000 pay cut. I got lucky and I am essentially where I was in 2013. The benefits were actually better at my old job but I am thankful. The job itself is not bad but the employer is very demanding. It can be very stressful at times. I do not know what I will do if this job does not work out. I work hard and pray. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search