Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:36 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,564,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My aptitude in high school said "Bricklayer". Needless to say I'm not a bricklayer now.
Mine was forklift operator or air traffic controller.

I'm closer one than the other, but am neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 01:44 PM

1,160 posts, read 715,208 times
learning a trade is the way to go. Something like electrician, HVAC, or Plumbing. competition is too high in other lower-skilled trades like flooring, carpentry, masonry, etc.

My son is super smart and could probably do whatever he wants. I'm going to steer him towards electrical engineering or architecture.

We will always need buildings, electric, and people to fix them

Old 12-08-2016, 02:20 PM

285 posts, read 263,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I'm a huge proponent of young people learning trades. When I went to high school, you could take wood shop, auto shop, drafting, metal shop, and a couple of others. You didn't come out a pro, but you knew enough to get hired on as a helper and get your foot in the door.

We need electricians, plumbers, HVAC technicians, auto technicians, carpenters, and other tradesmen.
It's good work, rewarding, and typically pays well. If you can find a union to join, you can get excellent benefits as well.
I've been in my field for almost 20 years, and there's a huge lack of young people coming in; we don't have enough apprentices to replace the guys retiring, and that's going to be a big problem in another 10 or 15 years.
Thats a great option even IF your high school offers the courses or you have space in your schedule.

Remember now, education has changed in those 20 years. Now, most people are too busy with AP or PSEO classes, trying to get that scholarship cause higher education costs an arm and a leg, a piece of your soul, and some internal organs for a semester these days, to even go for classes like those that are listed as electives and, therefor, not necessary and (to some like me) a waste of space because that would be taking up class space for something you NEED.

Like I wished I could have taken auto shop, but my high school never offered it. They offered engines class, and to take that you needed to take an engine information class the prior semester, but not really auto shop. I wanted to do welding but I had to take three different mandatory classes and had space for two electives. I chose Creative Foods and Spanish because I wanted to relax a little in the day, with it being my last year and all.

Basically not every school even offers what you listed. My old high school (the one I graduated from) doesnt have auto, drafting, wood shop (unless you consider the construction classes), motorcycle class, mechanics workshops, electrician stuff, and carpeting classes. If my school had an auto class, I would have said "**** electives" and jumped on it. I LOVE working on cars. Now I need to pay $500 for a class just on brakes alone, another $500 for a class on automatic engines, another $500 on manuals, then another $500 to learn about transmission... Literally.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,871,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
Thats a great option even IF your high school offers the courses or you have space in your schedule.

Remember now, education has changed in those 20 years. Now, most people are too busy with AP or PSEO classes, trying to get that scholarship cause higher education costs an arm and a leg, a piece of your soul, and some internal organs for a semester these days, to even go for classes like those that are listed as electives and, therefor, not necessary and (to some like me) a waste of space because that would be taking up class space for something you NEED.

Like I wished I could have taken auto shop, but my high school never offered it. They offered engines class, and to take that you needed to take an engine information class the prior semester, but not really auto shop. I wanted to do welding but I had to take three different mandatory classes and had space for two electives. I chose Creative Foods and Spanish because I wanted to relax a little in the day, with it being my last year and all.

Basically not every school even offers what you listed. My old high school (the one I graduated from) doesnt have auto, drafting, wood shop (unless you consider the construction classes), motorcycle class, mechanics workshops, electrician stuff, and carpeting classes. If my school had an auto class, I would have said "**** electives" and jumped on it. I LOVE working on cars. Now I need to pay $500 for a class just on brakes alone, another $500 for a class on automatic engines, another $500 on manuals, then another $500 to learn about transmission... Literally.
It does suck when they don't offer them, but it isn't the end of the world. My school stopped a couple of years after I graduated, and I never took any while I was there. There are other ways to learn a trade.

I worked as a helper while taking classes (that I paid for) at night when I first started. The money was well spent given the career it has allowed me to have.

Learning a trade isn't an "easy way out"- it's still an education, only you are learning as you work rather than sitting in a classroom full-time. You have to work to get it, and it might cost you money as well.
But, if you do it, you stand to have much better future than if you don't.

Last edited by JB from NC; 12-08-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,148,744 times
If you like people and science the need for nurses is not going to slow down soon. Experienced RNs make $80-100k yearly. It's not the stock market but it's a good wage for hard work.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:37 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,080,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
If you like people and science the need for nurses is not going to slow down soon. Experienced RNs make $80-100k yearly. It's not the stock market but it's a good wage for hard work.
True, but getting into nursing school might be tougher than getting into med school. As a country, we simply don't have the capacity to produce more nurses. Every program is completely filled and swamped with applicants. It is a good career, but the barrier to entry is high.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:26 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,148,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
True, but getting into nursing school might be tougher than getting into med school. As a country, we simply don't have the capacity to produce more nurses. Every program is completely filled and swamped with applicants. It is a good career, but the barrier to entry is high.
While accurate there are many private schools which are enrolling. Good grades help also being male helps as well.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:42 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,118,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post

What you want to learn can be self taught. I know because I did it. Buy a project car, put in the time researching on the net, buy a book if you like books, buy a video if you like videos. Watch youtube. sell it and buy another. Once you gain some competency, take some practice tests and study guides and schedule some ASE tests. I took 2 tests for around $100 and passed with very high scores. I could take more but doubt it would benefit me.

So far I've taught myself welding and fabrication, hvac systems, plumbing, auto repair, motorcycle repair, home maintenance, etc. With the internet today, books, and hands on practice, you can become proficient in any skill you choose to learn. While learning these things has not improved my job prospects much, I rarely have to hire anybody to do anything for me since I invested in some good tools.

Last edited by ShiverMeTimber; 12-09-2016 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 05:51 PM

144 posts, read 115,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
What you want to learn can be self taught. I know because I did it. Buy a project car, put in the time researching on the net, buy a book if you like books, buy a video if you like videos. Watch youtube. sell it and buy another. Once you gain some competency, take some practice tests and study guides and schedule some ASE tests. I took 2 tests for around $100 and passed with very high scores. I could take more but doubt it would benefit me.

So far I've taught myself welding and fabrication, hvac systems, plumbing, auto repair, motorcycle repair, home maintenance, etc. With the internet today, books, and hands on practice, you can become proficient in any skill you choose to learn. While learning these things has not improved my job prospects much, I rarely have to hire anybody to do anything for me since I invested in some good tools.
What is the point then??

I have done the similar things. I've taught myself welding and fabrication, hvac systems, plumbing, electrical, auto repair, home maintenance, industrial design, electrical engineering, A+ Certification, etc.

All of this is nothing more than hobbies. There are no jobs out there.

The only thing that employers want is experience, and they want decades upon decades of it. The problem is that no one can get any experience. All I want is an apprenticeship. But there is NOTHING. People here on CD say that there are no new or young people entering the trades, at the same time (in reality) there are ZERO jobs, entry level or other wise, on any job site.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:50 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,118,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
What is the point then??

I have done the similar things. I've taught myself welding and fabrication, hvac systems, plumbing, electrical, auto repair, home maintenance, industrial design, electrical engineering, A+ Certification, etc.

All of this is nothing more than hobbies. There are no jobs out there.

The only thing that employers want is experience, and they want decades upon decades of it. The problem is that no one can get any experience. All I want is an apprenticeship. But there is NOTHING. People here on CD say that there are no new or young people entering the trades, at the same time (in reality) there are ZERO jobs, entry level or other wise, on any job site.
The point is we enjoy it LOLOLOL

I completely understand you bro. I've learned a hell of a lot, but you are right, employers don't really want that stuff for some reason. They want a person with this specific degree or that specific work experience.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I'm really good at trade skills. A complete natural and very few people I've met have the same or higher ability. I too wanted an apprenticeship bad. Now that I'm older, my opportunities for getting involved with this stuff are dwindling. What a shame that folks like us who share "the nack" got looked over. I blame it on the years of layoffs from 08-13 when highly skilled folks were applying for the same jobs as us wet behind the ear guys were trying to get started. As a business why would you hire a new person to train when there is a line of already trained and experienced out of work people ready to hit the ground running?

Anyway, can't change the past, only the future. I recommend perusing a different field where you aren't using your labor to make a living. I say this because when I worked in jobs where I was crawling under cars dirty or sweating in a 100 degree shop, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was work on my hobbies. When you work in an office or a non-physical job, it allows you to enjoy your technical and physical hobbies after work and on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search