Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:36 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
Unfortunately with so many people out of work, it's an employer's market. They are rude to applicant because they can. Recruiters are even worse.

Yes it happened to me more than once and in hindsight I should have just walked out.
Just imagine if the economy continues to get better , with more jobs going around. We could be seeing revenge of employees. As so many people have experienced shoddy treatment during interviews in the past few years, time for a little pay back ?. Already companies are dropping the the phone interviews and just inviting people in for a face to face meeting. Not so long ago when the phone interview could take over 40 mins and still not get an actual meeting. I knew of somebody who applied for an accounting job , the company called a reference and the call was long, at 70 mins for the phone call, the reference giver was about to hang up the phone with the silly and redundant questions.

During my own job search, applied for a tech job with a public agency. With public sector jobs, during the interview stage , they treat the job seeker like sub human species. No water offered at start of interview. Even when early, they were earlier too. Like nothing else to do in their jobs but go over interview questions for weeks on end. In my interview, they put you on a chair higher than the rest. The questions are intense and no effort to build rapport or just basic decency shown to the job seeker. Public agency jobs are for the most part about benefits and cushy existence. As displayed by the people on the interview panel. All qsts just standard fare e.g. what do you look for in a manager, tell us a time when a coworker sought your help etc.

Finally I got the job I wanted. Not with that place for sure. I look back and think it was a good thing to not like the interview with the public agency. I can only imagine what it would be like to work with those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX2 View Post
Same here, I would ban these companies as well. Wow what are these employers thinking? Barking dog and loud TV? They wouldn't tolerate it from a candidate. Next time when I know the interview is not going well and wouldn't consider working there, I'm going to abruptly end the interview since employers do it all the time. Something like "I have all the information I need to make an informed decision on the job." than walk out.
It would probably be appreciated, they can stop going through the antics with some person who has a snowball's chance in hell of every getting the job. If this type of behavior is a common occurrence with you then you need to take a look in the mirror and wonder why you can't keep people's attention for what 15, 30, 45 minutes?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Same here, I would ban these companies as well. Wow what are these employers thinking? Barking dog and loud TV? They wouldn't tolerate it from a candidate. Next time when I know the interview is not going well and wouldn't consider working there, I'm going to abruptly end the interview since employers do it all the time. Something like "I have all the information I need to make an informed decision on the job." than walk out.

This reminds me of people who punish their next boyfriend/girlfriend for the sins of their ex. It's misplaced hostility. The company you are walking out on is not the company that abruptly ended your previous interview.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
It means they are not going to hire you so they choose to end it abruptly.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Just imagine if the economy continues to get better , with more jobs going around. We could be seeing revenge of employees. As so many people have experienced shoddy treatment during interviews in the past few years, time for a little pay back ?. Already companies are dropping the the phone interviews and just inviting people in for a face to face meeting. Not so long ago when the phone interview could take over 40 mins and still not get an actual meeting. I knew of somebody who applied for an accounting job , the company called a reference and the call was long, at 70 mins for the phone call, the reference giver was about to hang up the phone with the silly and redundant questions.

During my own job search, applied for a tech job with a public agency. With public sector jobs, during the interview stage , they treat the job seeker like sub human species. No water offered at start of interview. Even when early, they were earlier too. Like nothing else to do in their jobs but go over interview questions for weeks on end. In my interview, they put you on a chair higher than the rest. The questions are intense and no effort to build rapport or just basic decency shown to the job seeker. Public agency jobs are for the most part about benefits and cushy existence. As displayed by the people on the interview panel. All qsts just standard fare e.g. what do you look for in a manager, tell us a time when a coworker sought your help etc.

Finally I got the job I wanted. Not with that place for sure. I look back and think it was a good thing to not like the interview with the public agency. I can only imagine what it would be like to work with those people.
You're upset that you're not being offered a glass of water during an interview? What planet are you seeking a job on?

I was a software engineer - I got a job offer from 90% of my interviews. I was NEVER offered a glass of water, nor did I want one, nor did I expect such. Take a drink before the interview starts. Go to the bathroom beforehand as well. Eat before the interview. You don't interrupt an interview because you are hungry, thirsty, or need to pee.

What special snowflakes we all must be, to be offended because you're not offered a freakin' glass of water at the start of an interview, LOL!

Not to mention the idea that interviewers don't have the right to ask you "intense" questions. A competent person should EXPECT intense questions. I certainly did.

Or are they asking "standard" questions, which also seems to offend you. Which is it - intense? Or standard? Because you use both terms applied to the same interviewers. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-20-2017 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
I personally have never had this happen, but if I had to guess it's due to a few things.

1. The recruiter is inexperienced.

2. You answered a question differently then what they wanted to hear so instead of wasting anymore time they end the interview.

3. Something came up and instead of rescheduling the interview they just cut it short.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM

486 posts, read 992,666 times
I have had many interviews where the interviewer(s) ended the interview abruptly.

One interview, last year, the interviewee (a woman) asked me a question about Microsoft Publisher. I answered her question, then she jumped up from the desk, ran to the corner of the room and looked up at the ceiling. She didn't say a word to me the rest of the interview, as she stared at the ceiling. The other interviewers (I had to interview with multiple people at one time), looked at her like she was some sort of fruitcake. Not surprisingly, the interview ended shortly afterward. I didn't get the job and I never heard from them again (no rejection notice - yet again I went into the black hole of nothingness).

My last interview a couple of weeks ago, the interviewer talked to me for about 10 minutes, then his phone rang and he said he had to take the call and he left the room. His call lasted about 7 minutes. When he came back, the interview was over. I didn't get the job and I never heard from them again (no rejection notice - nothing).

I have had interviewers:

1. Write emails while they were talking to me
2. Order pizza (never asked if I wanted any - maybe I am hungry too )
3. Arrive 20-30 minutes late to the interview
4. Ask me stupid questions such as "If you could be a fruit what type would you be?"
5. Look at their cellphone throughout the interview, or constantly be looking at their watch with a grimace on their face.

On and on...

Interviewing sucks, period.

Very rarely have I ever had an interviewer ask if I wanted water. And NEVER has an interviewer asked to take my coat (I live in a cold snowy climate and I have had a lot of winter interviews). I usually sit at the interview wearing my heavy winter coat. Someday I am going to go to a winter interview wearing pajamas under my coat, they will never notice.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Maybe there was good a reason why the candidate was late.

Did you miss the part where I said the candidate did not even seem to care that she was late? There wasn't even an acknowledgement that she was late. If there was a good reason, I would think she would have mentioned it. " So, so sorry I am late...you won't believe what happened" might have been a good start. But, for the record, there are very, very few valid excuses to be late for an employment interview.

Quote:
So if it was the other way around and the employer was late than the candidate should end it too right? Same reasons, why would a candidate want to work for someone if they couldn't show up on time.

Absolutely. If a candidate does not want to work for someone who doesn't value their time and shows up late; they have every right to leave. An interviewee isn't a slave; they are entitled to leave whenever they want to.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

Very rarely have I ever had an interviewer ask if I wanted water. And NEVER has an interviewer asked to take my coat (I live in a cold snowy climate and I have had a lot of winter interviews). I usually sit at the interview wearing my heavy winter coat. Someday I am going to go to a winter interview wearing pajamas under my coat, they will never notice.
Are you too timid to take off your own coat? Why are you walking around their workplace with a coat on?

Etiquette works both ways. You arrive a few minutes early and take off your coat. When introduced to the HM, you have your coat over your left arm and you shake hands. They indicate a place for you to put your coat and the interview begins.

You don't sit there in your coat like a homeless person about to scamper for the door.

Enough bungled social interactions like this can cost you a job

Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Maybe there was good a reason why the candidate was late.
Once or twice, I've been unavoidably late to an interview. If that happens, I call before the interview time, as soon as I can, let them know, and see if they want to reschedule. The one time I remember doing this for sure (DC traffic worse than usual), they said come on in, we'll see you when you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search