Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times

Advertisements

Probably a lot of PHONY job openings out there. I just dont think there are many job opportunities anymore (despite what the media and other sources tell you). That and as others have mentioned employers are trying to find golden unicorns for as little as pay as possible. Or they just decide not to hire anyone and throw the responsibility on some poor ******* at the company who already has a full plate and is behind.

I got far more call backs, and interest 10 years ago just out of college (with less experience) than I get now.

Companies may not be doing every well either so they don't want to drive up expense. Truth is, I dont think there is much out there these days and I dont think we have recovered much at all from the Recession. Not like there used to be. I feel for the kids in college with limited to no job experience. Thats for sure. If this keeps up, they will be waiting around YEARS to find a decent job.

These days, it seems those falling into good jobs have a powerful connection to hook them up with one. If you don't have that connection/network with someone in a hiring position now, good luck!!!!

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-05-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know about your HR, but here I create the job descriptions for every position I have open, the requirements, and the pay range if new. Yes, it has to be verified and approved by HR, but they are only making sure that the law is followed and that the pay can be justified based on the duties being performed. Even the interview questions are created by the hiring manager. Again, they are reviewed by HR to ensure legality and no chance of discrimination. Their role is advertising the post, audit and documentation, and preliminary contact with the applicants. They make no hiring decisions.
Amen!

I have spent 20+ years in HR (manager and director levels in tech) and never once made a hiring decision outside of my own staff. I screen resumes that come in and am frankly surprised how few applicants actually read the job description/posting and even fewer have the background and experience pertinent to the advertised position. Good employees are hard to find, no matter the economy.

(PS - I was never impressed with HR in general before I got into the field.)

Old 07-13-2017, 05:38 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Amen!

I have spent 20+ years in HR (manager and director levels in tech) and never once made a hiring decision outside of my own staff. I screen resumes that come in and am frankly surprised how few applicants actually read the job description/posting and even fewer have the background and experience pertinent to the advertised position. Good employees are hard to find, no matter the economy.

(PS - I was never impressed with HR in general before I got into the field.)

That's because a lot of job seekers apply to any job they posted hoping to get a call back from a employer. I believe that is called the shotgun approach when job searching which is not a good way to find a job.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:22 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
I've noticed a lot of jobs I apply to on Dice are constantly re-posted every few hours or every day. I think they are just recruiting agencies that are looking for resumes...

Old 07-23-2017, 11:55 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Competition and excessive pickiness.
Yes. I probably couldn't get the same job I have now if I had to re-apply today. Companies keep demanding more and more skills for candidates of all levels.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 AM

1,186 posts, read 967,004 times
The 'easy' answer is probably that more candidates are looking for non-technical roles than technical ones and, therefore, your competition pool is larger. This has been the case in the US for a number of year - the pool of MBAs is much larger.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
The reason is simple: There are a lot more people out there who's claim to fame is that "they have people skills" than there are people out there who actually know how to get things done and produce something. It's Office Space.

When looking for a technical role, a company might - MIGHT - find 3 somewhat qualified applicants. After trying for quite a while. When looking for someone to be a "people manager", they're going to find 75. And those 75 are better versed in politics and BS than the technical person looking to step up (I not-so-affectionately refer to MBA's as Master Bull**** Artists, as I could probably count on 2 hands how many competent ones I've ever come across. Mostly all they're good for is writing memos).

The question becomes why one wants to join that rat race. There are roles that you can get to whereby you're basically not completely technical anymore, but you're not management, either. You sit in on the meetings, you're involved in the discussions, but your responsibility is applying your years of technical expertise into designing and architecting solutions that someone else will implement. It's straddling the line between the 2 worlds, it's the space that has the absolute least amount of competition (because it weeds out any people managers that aren't insanely technical, and any insanely technical people who have no leadership and business goal vision). And, in the vast majority of companies, these people make more than their bosses, and are basically equal in salary to a vice president without having to head into the bureaucratic nightmare that is executive "leadership". I know at my company (a very large tech house), I make more than the Director I report to, the Senior Director he reports to, the PM manager and the the junior VP that they both report to, and am within about 5 grand of the VP that sits above all of them. Which I more than make up for in the 30 or 40 grand a year they spend sending me to tech conferences and training camps. Best of all, since the role is so specialized, don't have to put up with any of the bull**** politics on either side because we are on an island. The catch being, of course, you have to be incredibly good technically and have more than a little leadership chops.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM

23 posts, read 41,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
You sit in on the meetings, you're involved in the discussions, but your responsibility is applying your years of technical expertise into designing and architecting solutions that someone else will implement. It's straddling the line between the 2 worlds, it's the space that has the absolute least amount of competition (because it weeds out any people managers that aren't insanely technical, and any insanely technical people who have no leadership and business goal vision).
What types of jobs are these?

Old 07-25-2017, 01:09 PM

1,186 posts, read 967,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geopoman View Post
Solutions architect
Business analyst
Engineering/Dev Manager
IT project manager (tiny bit technical)
Scrum Master

to name a few...

Old 07-25-2017, 04:32 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geopoman View Post
technology area managers
process managers
project managers
risk consultants
compliance consultants
non-evaluated manager
strategy consultant

there's a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search