Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:59 PM

371 posts, read 526,843 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently went back to school and will graduate on Friday with a Masters in Accounting (3.9 GPA).

I am looking for a job with a small or medium-sized CPA firm in NYC. I am not just graduating from school with no experience, I have significant work experience that is applicable to a career as a CPA.

Is there anyone who can offer me any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,422 times
Where is your degree from? I've seen people who have 4.0 Master's degrees which is impressive if from a top school like Harvard, but more of a joke if from a school like Devry, Phoenix, etc.

Start applying for jobs at CPA firms IF your degree is from a reputable state university. You'll get feedback on what is working and what is not. If it is from Devry, Phoenix, WGU and whatever new diploma mills there are by lesser known names, I honestly would not even bother...

Old 05-11-2017, 01:05 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,466 times
Did you do an internship with a public accounting firm while in school?

Old 05-13-2017, 10:14 AM

789 posts, read 1,992,773 times
Turnover is pretty high in public accounting and entry level jobs are relatively easy to find. I would first check with your school to see if they have a relationship with any firms (a lot of firms have a few favorite schools that they recruit from, which just makes getting in the door a little easier). You can also ask your professors if they can make an introduction to any firms (this will help you more with the smaller firms). Small firms may not be hiring right now since it's after busy season, but large, mid-size, and mega-regional firms hire mainly year-round.

Also, don't think you can only apply via job ads. Feel free to send your resume to HR (or, better yet, if you have a contact within the firm have them pass your resume through the chain) with a nice cover letter explaining what you're looking for. With the exception of my first internship, every one of my public accounting jobs were from me identifying which firms I was willing to work for and sending them my resume directly.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Where is your degree from? I've seen people who have 4.0 Master's degrees which is impressive if from a top school like Harvard, but more of a joke if from a school like Devry, Phoenix, etc.

Start applying for jobs at CPA firms IF your degree is from a reputable state university. You'll get feedback on what is working and what is not. If it is from Devry, Phoenix, WGU and whatever new diploma mills there are by lesser known names, I honestly would not even bother...
its not from a diploma mill. Its from a good program and I have a 3.9 GPA. The school is trying to help me but i have a lot of experience already. The BIG 4 wants kids with no experience to work there and I have had trouble getting traction with smaller firms.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Did you do an internship with a public accounting firm while in school?
no as I had a lot of experience already in a related area

Old 05-15-2017, 08:21 AM

589 posts, read 381,524 times
Wait ... you're "sickofnewyorkcity" and looking for a job in NYC ?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:29 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,729 times
Your college should have some kind of recruiting center. I'm an accountant/CPA and i'm in NY too (Long Island)... I got my first job out of school by using my college's recruitment website (or something along those lines, i kind of forget if it was just a website/portal or they had an actual center). The big CPA firms came to do campus recruiting (like E&Y and Deloitte), but there were a few small firms that came as well. i went to one of the smaller firms. they should have SOME kind of resource for you to look at campus recruiting/entry level positions.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 AM

425 posts, read 647,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
Hi,

I recently went back to school and will graduate on Friday with a Masters in Accounting (3.9 GPA).

I am looking for a job with a small or medium-sized CPA firm in NYC. I am not just graduating from school with no experience, I have significant work experience that is applicable to a career as a CPA.

Is there anyone who can offer me any advice?

Pound the alumni database for others who graduated in Accounting, see what firms they are related to and reach out to them. The Big 4 are probably out if you did not got thru the normal recruiting cycle but you aren't interested anyways.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hken View Post
Pound the alumni database for others who graduated in Accounting, see what firms they are related to and reach out to them. The Big 4 are probably out if you did not got thru the normal recruiting cycle but you aren't interested anyways.
Most mid size and up public accounting firms only hire first year associates from recruiting new grads from their preferred schools. As a matter of fact, I believe there is a lawsuit about this in California.

If I was the OP, I would concentrate solely on SMALL firms.

It is very hard to break into public accounting if you don't get hired before graduation.

Accounting is very much a two tiered system and once you miss your window to get the better jobs in public accounting, it is an almost impossible road to get back on. Of course it isn't impossible, just much more difficult. I would concentrate on small firms and start networking like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search