Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 516 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a job that would really be my dream job. One of the requirements is "5+ years of experience or any combination of experience which demonstrates the ability to do the job".

Although I am confident I can do everything listed in the job description (and have done even more than the job description and had more responsibilities in my last role), I am worried that I won't be considered because I only have about 1-2 years of experience in a similar role, and not 5+. Do you think I won't be considered because of this? It's been 2 weeks since I applied, and I have yet to hear anything back...

I am also thinking about sending an InMail to the job poster on LinkedIn to follow up on my application. Do you think this would be a good idea, or would it work against me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 01:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
No! They ask for what they want or sometimes more than they want. They will accept less from a candidate they like.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
You don’t need the exact amount, but there is a big difference between the requested 5+ and your 1-2. They seem to be willing to consider other relevant experience, but you don’t mention having any.

As a hiring manager, I probably would not consider you, but that would depend on what the applicant pool looked like

Old 03-10-2018, 02:46 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Depends on the company and management, but today most companies aren't willing to settle and would rather not hire and leave sales on the table vs bringing in someone who has great potential.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You don’t need the exact amount, but there is a big difference between the requested 5+ and your 1-2. They seem to be willing to consider other relevant experience, but you don’t mention having any.

As a hiring manager, I probably would not consider you, but that would depend on what the applicant pool looked like
Same here, that’s just too far below the required years. If it were 4, or even 3.5 I might give you an interview, if there were not to many applicants that had the 5. My current opening requires only 2 years, but more than half of the 21 applicants so far have none. Among the others it varies from barely 2 years to as much as 15. Still, with less than 10 to interview, I might consider one person with just over one year, who looked really good on the resume, unless I get a lot more qualified people applying before it closes on Friday.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:02 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Agree. That's pushing it too far unless you have some exceptionally outstanding applicable experience no one else can match. They list the experience expected for a reason. You would have had to explain why, during your short time in that field, you stand out above other candidates.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:16 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Stupid question- do you only have 1-2 years in a similar role or 1-2 years total?

If you have 1-2 in the similar position but another 3 or 4 in positions with some overlap that might be acceptable. Sometimes you will see someone have a job that combines what are typically separate positions or vice versa where their current job handles a portion of the one being posted. If you can make that argument, play up those portions of previous jobs on your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search