Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would think the savings would be huge if drug addicts and alcoholics would then be denied all government handouts.

As for the OP's question, I would hope that the tests for alcohol are to pick up only levels that indicate abuse of alcohol -- alcohol is still legal and for most people 3 beers in one evening doesn't mean anything at all. Some OTC medicines have far worse in them.
Now you need to define addict. You also need to defend this in court etc. You need to think this out a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
One thing nice about law enforcement is tehy do wuite a few test besides general screening for substances abuse;such as lie detector testing.If you have take one yet I recommend telling the truth in all questions.If there is a question of a importnat question yor out and the way to pass is tell the truth.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Now you need to define addict. You also need to defend this in court etc. You need to think this out a bit.
You mean for the purpose of getting government handouts? I would say that anyone in need of government handouts wouldn't have the resources for any kinds of recreational drugs or alcohol. If they have money to buy cocaine - then they don't need the hard earned money of taxpayers whether or not they're addicts.

So for the purposes of getting welfare handouts, I think the limits should be very low.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You mean for the purpose of getting government handouts? I would say that anyone in need of government handouts wouldn't have the resources for any kinds of recreational drugs or alcohol. If they have money to buy cocaine - then they don't need the hard earned money of taxpayers whether or not they're addicts.

So for the purposes of getting welfare handouts, I think the limits should be very low.
I know a guy who rents low income housing (sec 8 etc.). According to him the biggest problem he has is the folks on government assistance dealing drugs. It's all cash so it doesn't effect their ability to get government (our) $$ and they get a free place to stay. Rest assured they have plenty of money to do illegal activity, and more than enough time to do it because they don't work regular jobs. The whole welfare system had good intentions but has failed miserably.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 11,999 times
i just recently was given a 3month probation of drug screening ever monday wednesday friday. i must be clear for 3 months if i want my license back. i just want to clarify that alcohol is safe. im 6.2, 175 lbs

Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Last night I drank a three beers (not much) before sleeping and then this morning I got called into work for a drug test, I drank approximately 2 Liters of water between the beers and the drug test.

Yes they screen for alcohol.

Will I pass the test? It was a urine test.
Alcohol goes out of your system a drink per hour so three beers would be out in 3hours. Probalby some trace elements after that but not enough to show up, especially not the next morning.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:12 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
No need to be sorry. That's good info for sure.

So you drink 3 12 oz beers (I assume) and you go to bed and the next day, you take the test.

I don't think you should have worried at all. Two alcoholic beverages per day should be fine for the normal or moderate drinker. Three might give you a little bit of a buzz, but we metabolize so much alcohol per hour.

Had you drank them the morning before the test, I'd be a little concerned.

So they find a trace amount of alcohol in your system. What's wrong with that? They're kind of looking for drugs, right? For most people, drinking a few beers at home after work or the day before work is not a crime. If you're restricted from such activity for legal reasons, that's another issue.

If you're on probation or on parole for any number of reasons or suffering from a recent DUI conviction, there again-that's another story.

Hey, if you pass the test and get hired-have a drink on me!
What's wrong with it is if you drive, whether it be a truck or your own car on company time or operate any machinery, they are liable for anything that happens. It also puts other employees at risk and, essentially, you are coming to work under the influence.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
That's what I'm confused about, too. Why should it matter if you had a couple of drinks the night before?
What do I need to do!!! Knock some sense into you???

Finding out you had a couple of drinks the night before will reveal to them you're a true human being (Oh horrors!), not a robot, as robots would malfunction even if they took one tiny sip of wine!

They're looking for androids, robots today.

Last edited by tijlover; 12-22-2010 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Do you all realize this thread is over 2 years old? So I'm sure he/she has the test results by now!

Not to mention, there's a huge thread on P&OC discussing drug testing of welfare (and UI) recipients, if you're interested in discussing the topic. Finally, the OP of this thread said they DO test for alcohol - which is completely possible, as cops do it for suspected DUIs all the time. So it doesn't matter if alcohol's legal or not, he had a legitimate concern regarding his consumption the evening before.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,006,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Last night I drank a three beers (not much) before sleeping and then this morning I got called into work for a drug test, I drank approximately 2 Liters of water between the beers and the drug test.

Yes they screen for alcohol.

Will I pass the test? It was a urine test.
While I guess anything is possible, I have never heard of using a urine test to screen for alcohol. The urine test is looking for illegal drugs. Alcohol screening is done using a breath test. Thus if the OP is only concerned about alcohol and only takes a urine test, they have nothing to worry about. FYI...If all someone has is three beers the night before, chances are mighty good a breath test would come back 0.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search