Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 02:55 PM

86 posts, read 84,223 times

Advertisements

Quick background--posting for a friend who has no interest in forums. He'd probably be angry if he knew I asked here but I believe other people over "the vagueness" of Google.

He got offered a job with a major company. They sent him the offer with salary and so on by email and he accepted. He was given a start date and a bunch of tasks to complete including addresses for a background check and urine test. He did the urine test Sunday morning.

He's been trying to reach HR for the next phase which includes some training at their corp center. So far no reply to 2 emails and 2 phone calls. Total dead silence.

My buddy is driving me nuts. He gave notice at the job he's at but now just getting nervous. The HR person he dealt with originally did her thing and now he is to deal with another HR person. He was interviewed by the manager so it's not just HR screwed up. This next phase HR person is the one not responding.

Can you give me some advice so he can find out why they are ghosting him now? Maybe he needs to call the manager (his future boss) and say I can't reach HR anymore. Can you help me out to find out the time frame or what's happening?

Any advice would be helpful. Maybe it just takes time for them to do the background and other test?
The issue is he gave notice (2 weeks) to his job and now things are not happening fast enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Did he have a firm start date in the written offer? If so, this doesn't really make sense. If he didn't have a firm start date, why did he give notice?

That testing probably does take time, but this should have factored into his start date.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:25 AM

Yes his start date is mid-February. It was a solid offer from a major company.

He said he is going to send a quick email to the hiring manager and touch base with him. Maybe that will get some sort of feedback.

His last day at the old job is coming up so he's very nervous. He did the right thing and gave them 2 weeks notice.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:00 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
I think contacting the hiring manager is the way to go. Hopefully it all works out.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:21 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Perhaps the training was to start on his first day? And/or they're waiting for the results of the drug test/background, etc. to confirm.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Thanks, my buddy got the job.

Now we all have that stupid flu going around so I'm slow about posting here. Thanks for replying everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search