Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 07:18 AM

8 posts, read 2,192 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am currently reading "How to Find Meaningful Work" by Roman Krznaric. One of the career search exercises is to list your values, personal qualities, and cares and then ask other people what jobs/careers the list reminds them of. This is to get me thinking of possibilities that I may not have even realized. So, if you are interested, I would GREATLY appreciate your input and feel free to be as specific as possible.

What I care about:
- equality
- social harmony
- children
- happiness
- health
- education

Values:
- helping others
- justice and equality
- kindness and social courtesies
- teaching others
- teamwork and community
- making a difference in a concrete way
- benefits accessible to all socioeconomic levels
- flexibility

Personal qualities:
- kind
- empathetic
- thorough and productive
- strong work ethic
- teacher
- intellect and creativity
- diplomatic and good communication
- sense of humor
- helping colleagues

Conditions:
- around 50k or above
- advancement and growth
- work/life balance

Again, thank you for any opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 11:30 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
50K in NYC is not good enough. You need to move out of NYC.

Did you take a Myers-Brigss test to find out what kind of personality you have and then look for jobs that fit that personality?

Old 12-23-2018, 02:01 PM

Yes, I usually get INFP or INFJ. I'm already living in NYC, and while it is expensive, I have been able to do it well.

I moved from DC and while the rent is more expensive, I'm saving more on transit and utilities. On top of that, I don't buy a lot of material things, so I have more money for restaurants, entertainment, savings, and investments.

But with all that said, I am looking for a job that starts out at 50k and then advances.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyccareersearch2019 View Post
Yes, I usually get INFP or INFJ.
Jobs good for you:
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/blog/be...onality-types/
https://www.truity.com/personality-type/INFP/careers

Find out which jobs are good for you, and start making your resume and cover letter compatible with those jobs. Highlight transferable skills or skills you already have experience in.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:50 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
Do you already have a bachelor's degree and what was your major?

Old 12-24-2018, 05:40 PM

Thank you, bobsell. I checked out those sites.

I originally studied secondary education of English and Spanish. However, during my student teaching it felt like a bad fit, so I graduated with just my BA in Spanish.

Since then I've worked in a lot of project management and marketing roles. They've been fine jobs that I've been thankful for, but I'm all for taking a paycut to do something more personally meaningful and engaging to me.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you, bobsell. I checked out those sites.

I originally studied secondary education of English and Spanish. However, during my student teaching it felt like a bad fit, so I graduated with just my BA in Spanish.

Since then I've worked in a lot of project management and marketing roles. They've been fine jobs that I've been thankful for, but I'm all for taking a paycut to do something more personally meaningful and engaging to me.
So your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to research the jobs suitable for your personality type and seeing which ones ring your bell for the things you're looking for.

Then approach organizations that have those kind of jobs and see what's the story with getting on board with them.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:18 PM

Yes, I understand what you are saying.

However, the main point of this exercise is to consider the job titles that other people mention. It's not to have other people choose for me but it's to open up my mind to possibilities that I may have never considered.

I already have a few areas I want to explore through interviewing, shadowing, volunteering, etc., but this exercise is to see things from others' perspectives rather than my own.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:48 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
I wouldn't be too gung ho about finding "meaningful" work. I would check Idealist.org but keep in mind that not all folks that work in non-profit or something that seems like it's "making a difference" are good people that create an enjoyable work environment. The main reason I don't work in something "meaningful" today is I have worked at these organizations as a student and recent grad in the past and witnessed the same dysfunctionality, megalomaniac personalities etc. as in the "rat race" type firms. So I decided to make a living wage for the same headaches. One of them actually fired me after one week on the job due to politics as a head of another department didn't like me and saw me as a threat. This was a non-profit for continuing education for lawyers/doctors/engineers etc. and supposedly a "loving environment"

As another poster mentioned, these jobs are also in hot demand and by folks that have a trust fund and can afford to work that job more than you can. The only reason they want it is Daddy said they have to work 10 years to inherit.

Any sort of job in Education in particular can be a brutal thankless environment where you have no support and must play political games to the extreme to get ahead.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I already have a few areas I want to explore through interviewing, shadowing, volunteering, etc., but this exercise is to see things from others' perspectives rather than my own.
OK, so post the list of the jobs you're already looking at so other people don't duplicate efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search