Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 04:20 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times

Advertisements

Construction, rail road, join military, manufacturing as production labor, Amazon warehouse/distribution facility, truck driver.

Pays better than minimum wage, no experience needed, potential to make a lot more money as you gain experience.

Office environment requires experience and degrees for almost all jobs now, even jobs that didn’t require degrees in the past they want them now, even though the job can be done without the degree. Exception for some sales jobs, say insurance, real estate agent etc but those are usually 100% commission.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
You could go to job corps. Do training with them in a career that makes a higher wage. I don't know if they would help you get into a union apprenticeship. But most unions will pay more than $30/hr after 5 years. And you are paid while you train.
Job corps won't take a 29 year old.

what are some short-term courses where I can learn a skills and get a job that pays above minimum wage?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:24 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Military

Old 03-06-2019, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,467 times
I hate the military branches to be honest. Could I make better living immigrating to a different country or would it be harder?

Old 03-06-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava_Foreteller View Post
I hate the military branches to be honest. Could I make better living immigrating to a different country or would it be harder?
Depending on the country.

Immigrants tend to be discriminated against in foreign countries, and you're likely not to get a visa that has work authorization.

If your parents or grandparents were immigrants, you could claim citizenship in their country and use that to get jobs there - assuming their economy is good and all.

You still need to know what you want to do for a living. Without that knowledge, it is significantly harder to solve your problem.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:44 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava_Foreteller View Post
As bobsell says the country would want you to have a job skill that they need unless you have parents or grandparents that came to the US from one of the countries you're thinking of going to.

My parents came to the US in the late 50's from Hungary. I would need to order their birth certificates (and have mine) to prove they're my parents who came from Hungary.

Other countries won't just let you in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Depending on the country.

Immigrants tend to be discriminated against in foreign countries, and you're likely not to get a visa that has work authorization.

If your parents or grandparents were immigrants, you could claim citizenship in their country and use that to get jobs there - assuming their economy is good and all.

You still need to know what you want to do for a living. Without that knowledge, it is significantly harder to solve your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Sales and Mcjobs are the only ones where you can get a job without experience. There are people with college degrees who can't find jobs making $18-20 an hour, because they get rejected for not having experience.

Do you know what you want to do so you can learn something to earn a living?

If you don't know what you want to do for a living, take a Myers-Briggs test. Many of them are free online. This test is not infallible, but it gives some idea what things can ignite your passion, then you an find schooling for such jobs and maybe get a job later.
I've never heard of the test so tried to look it up and am not finding where to actually take the test.

Myers-Briggs website which links to this page that says the optional career report is $19.95. At the bottom it says the cost for all this is only $175.

I'm then finding this page; if you click thru it goes to this page that says $49.95 USD; you will get the 93-question Myers-Briggs assessment, a learning and verification session, a report specific to your MBTI type, and access to our MBTI®Type Explorer site, where you will find a variety of tools and tips to help you better understand your type and those of your co-workers, friends, family members, etc. At the end it says To learn more about the applications of Myers-Briggs personality type and history of the assessment, please visit the Myers & Briggs Foundation site.

Quote:
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment was designed to help you better understand what makes you tick, how you relate to others, and how you can benefit from this knowledge in everyday life.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:55 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Try becoming an ironworker apprentice:

Become an Ironworker

Old 03-07-2019, 07:32 PM

999 posts, read 553,983 times
Freelancing! You'll need to develop a skill, but there are no college requirements.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've never heard of the test so tried to look it up and am not finding where to actually take the test.
I was able to find several sites that give them for free.

Personality test based on C. Jung and I. Briggs Myers type theory

https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/ge...hese-websites/

Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Freelancing! You'll need to develop a skill, but there are no college requirements.
Companies do not hire consultants/freelancers without experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search