Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 09:26 AM

31 posts, read 30,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, how old are you? You seem to think that taking any type of classes or degrees equals an automatic job. It doesn't work that way.
Nope not at all. My question says one thing, but if you read the comments, if I commented I answered with more clarification if needed or the person asked. I know I gave my recent answer to Rabrrita about this where I went in depth instead of answering only what they wanted.

Basically in short, I tried for jobs but I saw they either required 1 year experience minimum and it was firm (they don't want to look at you unless you have 1 year minimum), or they said they will take externship as experience and not go by the year. But, finding an externship is impossible on my own. Unless the school sends you (which is my case there was no mandatory externship, so we had to do it on our own), no one wants to take you as an extern. So I tried for an entry level LabCorp job. Not Phlebotomist job, but I was supposed to greet people and sign them in on kiosk, do the paperwork and give directions on where to go next, and process specimens. But that failed terribly because they only wanted to give me front lobby with kiosk, never wanting to give me anything else. No explanation on why whenever I asked when I will start everything else. Then they fired me for something that I was not apart of, but if I was there when the problem happened, it would be out of anyones control. Then it became obvious they never wanted me there to begin with. its not like they had problems with me, they had none.

So no, I do not think a degree automatically gets me a job. I am trying but nothing is working and I end up getting stopped in my tracks over an externship or to obtain any other similar experience that is pretty entry level.

I was saying in my original question posted that I thought it would be easier because most students taking the class at the school once they graduated got their job with no externship or any other entry level job within 2 weeks of graduating from the class, and came in to say we do not need it, which I of course got excited about like everyone else in the class. But I knew that was not going to last because they had no experience otherwise. Nothing before taking the class. The only person who had experience before the class (up until I took my clinicals) was this girl in my class who was a lab assistant at a hospital, so she pretty much got a promotion before the class even ended. Once she got her certificate, she started working as a phlebotomist once the paperwork went thru for her to switch departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 07:35 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I think the answer is obvious, but was this a real, legitimate, public school such as a Community College or state run Vo-Tech or was this a for profit "school?" The fact you did "clinicals" at the "school" on each other doesn't sound promising.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think the answer is obvious, but was this a real, legitimate, public school such as a Community College or state run Vo-Tech or was this a for profit "school?" The fact you did "clinicals" at the "school" on each other doesn't sound promising.
I went to a vocational school. No idea if the school is "for profit."

Old 11-12-2020, 04:51 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Contact your State Attorney General and Google the "school name + scam" You have been hoodwinked and bamboozled.

For your sake, I hope you're in a Democratic majority state.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:35 PM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
OP, sorry to hear this and for what it's worth, you're not alone. Tons of students have been sold a bill of goods by for-profit technical schools, colleges and universities. One of the worst offenders is the for-profit, low-ranked law schools which manage to convince students to take out 100k+ in non-dischargeable student loans with high interest rates and giving little to no prospect for employment post-graduation.

The worst part is many schools openly fudge the numbers and since many of these industries like law are mostly self-regulated, nothing is done to address this problem.

I hope in upcoming years to see a federal crackdown on for-profit colleges and universities. They should be forced to disclose real statistics and there should be a legal remedy for students who were enticed to attend based on incomplete or misleading statistics.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:58 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Well OP. I know what it's like. I got shafted by Everest college. However. I went in under the old NAFTA program, so no debt walking out.

The drawback for me, age and sex. 50+ and male. Medical offices want pretty girls or cute guys. So, I went back to manufacturing. I did my research, but that college fudged their numbers so it was hard to find out that few students who were older, got jobs.

Plus, I was in the placement office when one student was talking to them and got offered a billing position. However, she'd been volunteering for the past year.

So personally, I'd get the CNA training, then volunteer with red cross or similar. Best of luck.

Old 11-13-2020, 05:06 AM

736 posts, read 455,805 times
To me what stands out as the lousiest part of this is that no one will hire you without experience...I wonder how they expect new grads from any program to gain experience if no one will hire them to start with. Kind of a catch 22.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:48 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
To me what stands out as the lousiest part of this is that no one will hire you without experience...I wonder how they expect new grads from any program to gain experience if no one will hire them to start with. Kind of a catch 22.
I imagine these for-profit programs really don't care about that. I hope a more reputable program has internships, job placement, etc.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I say the same thing. I am in a catch 22. We can't get a job because they tell us we have no experience, but where do we even get experience if no one will hire us so we can get experience? The same was with my Biology degree before I even did Phlebotomy. Employers said no experience but how do we get it if we can't get hired to do it so we can get the experience? Even the jobs that said Biology degree with 0 years of experience wanted experience. So that's why my Biology degree became useless, and I tried to see if anything was available that wasn't a catch-22 for something similar to what I originally wanted, so I tried Phlebotomy. So far Phlebotomy failing like that too, but since I just got it in summer 2020 I don't want to rush but it seems as I am going in that direction. Up until now I have not been in a catch-22 with nursing homes and similar kind of environment. So if Phlebotomy does not work out, maybe I can be a CNA or CHHA, and go to school for that.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:42 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
They don't really care. They already got the money out of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search