Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2021, 04:52 PM

63 posts, read 49,326 times

Advertisements

I have 5 years of professional experience with an Associates, paid for LinkedIn Premium, paid for resume reviews, paid $500 for an interview prep package. Partnered with recruiters and have been submitted applications since December without results. I don't know what's wrong with me or what I'm doing wrong.

I categorize all of my interviews in my email, its been exactly 87 interviews that I have failed. I make it to the second round and then .. ghosted, cancelled, position has been filled. I'm so tired of the misleading job listings and cagey recruiters. When submitting applications, I'm very cautious and only apply for "Entry Level" or "No experience needed" positions... but then they require 2-3 or 4-5 years of experience for the role in the interview.

The positions are related to mortgaging services, finance, or quality assurance. From what I've found out through networking on LinkedIn, most of these positions in reality don't want to train. I'm so frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 06:55 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,134,669 times
If they are interviewing you, they are interested. If you not getting past multiple interviews, you need to practice. Doing mock interviews with friends that work in corporate.

I work in consumer finance. I don’t have a degree. I have passed nearly every interview. I bombed one interview terribly. I was reaching too high for a management position with higher technical skills needed.

Last edited by move4ward; 07-12-2021 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-13-2021, 03:46 AM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwestside View Post
I have 5 years of professional experience with an Associates...
How did you get the job that's still going after 5 years?
What jobs are satisfied by an AA degree?

Old 07-13-2021, 04:02 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,134,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
He is from Jacksonville FL. AA degree may be enough for jobs there. The Triad would have higher requirements.

I have been in the consumer finance industry for 15+ years in reporting and analysis. I have only a HS diploma, but I work in TX. If I was on the east coast, I would need an undergrad. I worked my way up from the mail room.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:38 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,312,892 times
Quote:
I have 5 years of professional experience with an Associates, paid for LinkedIn Premium, paid for resume reviews, paid $500 for an interview prep package. Partnered with recruiters and have been submitted applications since December without results. I don't know what's wrong with me or what I'm doing wrong.

I categorize all of my interviews in my email, its been exactly 87 interviews that I have failed. I make it to the second round and then .. ghosted, cancelled, position has been filled. I'm so tired of the misleading job listings and cagey recruiters. When submitting applications, I'm very cautious and only apply for "Entry Level" or "No experience needed" positions... but then they require 2-3 or 4-5 years of experience for the role in the interview.

The positions are related to mortgaging services, finance, or quality assurance. From what I've found out through networking on LinkedIn, most of these positions in reality don't want to train. I'm so frustrated.
Why types of companies? Banks and CUs? Is your experience completely different from consumer lending?

Also - keep in mind that it's not a test where if you pass, you get the job. It's an audition where you are competing with dozens of others. You're resume, interview, etc. may not necessarily be terrible. Someone was simply a better fit. And by better fit - it means someone simply liked them better than they liked you. So yea, it's fairly arbitrary.

As for all the services you paid for - it's your money and if that makes you feel more secure, it's likely worth it. But also keep in mind that none of those services can guarantee anything.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:26 PM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
He is from Jacksonville FL. AA degree may be enough for jobs there.
Maybe. Maybe not. And maybe just not the jobs he thinks he should get.
I get the sense the OP is punching above his weight.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:01 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,365,982 times
If you've got 5 years related experience, maybe a BS in Accounting and a CPA would be what you need?

Old 07-19-2021, 01:16 PM

3,987 posts, read 5,022,442 times
I work in personal property tax and while a degree is "necessary", it isn't really because most of what we do isn't a specific course taught in finance or accounting. OP, try service companies that handle a variety of tax: Sales/Use, Business License, Property Tax, Unclaimed Property etc. You may get your foot in the door if you have a mind for numbers and are organized and deadline driven. You could start as a Property Tax Assistant which doesn't require a degree at our company, and if you "get it", they move you into an analyst role quickly if your desire matches. Opportunities abound from there - as well as salary. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:47 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,239,289 times
Quote:
If they don't want to train, those jobs are not for you.

Some mortgage jobs are sales jobs, and those you can get without experience. You'll get paid on commission plus a tiny salary, so you can at least get in and see if you can transition to another job in the mortgage biz.

But the risk is: if you don't rock at your job, you cant' pay your bills due to lack of commissions.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:25 AM

7,042 posts, read 2,737,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
My wife only has an associates degree. She was unable to pass one class after multiple attempts to get her bachelors and was dropped from the major. It does not matter to an employer as long has you have work experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search