Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 05:44 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times

Advertisements

Job boards go through waves. In the early 2000s it was Monster.com. Then Careerbuilder.com. Then it was Indeed and SimplyHired. Then LinkedIn. Not sure what it is now.

Employers are also inundated with resumes sent by bots, from people who are not at all qualified. They switch job boards every few years to try to stay ahead of the bots.

Job scams that advertise work with no skills needed have been around since long before the internet. I remember in college, there were always ads in the papers and on cafe bulletin boards for jobs doing envelope stuffing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 03:41 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBumhug View Post
LinkedIn is a Microsoft company now, so they are run by H1-Bs from India. That's why it has tanked in the past 3 years and why your data is going to scammers. Quit my profile years ago.
H1-Bs visas are for workers to come to the US to work on US Soil, not work in India.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:24 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
I was just watching a video from a former hiring manager and he suggested that before you waste a lot of time applying jobs on websites like Indeed and LinkedIn, you should go to the company's own website and see if the job is posted there.

In other words, if LinkedIn has a job listed from ABC Corporation, go to ABC corporation's own website and see if you can see the job posted. Sometimes a job is already filled at ABC but nobody contacted LinkedIn or Indeed to take it off. This is just one type of GHOST JOB. Jobs that no longer exist but are still listed.

Even worse, there are ghost jobs where sometimes the job listed never did exist at all! The company puts out a fake listing to see how many people are looking for a job without any intention of hiring anyone at the moment.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:46 PM

8,049 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just almost got scammed after using LinkedIn.

Last week I applied to some remote jobs on LinkedIn. There was some back-and-forth in emails.

They later said I got the job and they would be sending me a check to pay for things I would need for the job.
Scam.
I would have accepted the "job" and then messed with them when they requested the extra funds they sent you by "mistake".

Old 02-24-2024, 01:36 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakandEggz View Post
So I signed up and after validating my email address, the VERY FIRST prompt by LinkedIn was a pop up asking what my skin color is. You cannot enter their website until they discriminate. So I deleted it again. No thx.
Thanks for the tip. I've never used LinkedIn and, despite others recommending it for 'networking', now I never will.

I have a Facebook (aka Meta) page for my business and recently updated some info like business hours. I noticed they had a "Diversity" settings section for business owners...I couldn't resist and clicked my way into it just to see what nonsense they were pushing. I couldn't get past the first page, where it had a long list of minority designations (eg: Black-owned, Hispanic-owned, LGBT-owned...), it went on and on. Good for a laugh, at least.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:

To be honest though, the discrimination is literally coming from every direction imaginable. So you hear of black males also complaining saying their profile photo eliminated them from some jobs or companies.
To that I'd say get your damn photo off the internet. Though I wouldn't be surprised if nowadays it's a "red flag" to HR personnel to NOT find any online presence for a candidate. Like, something must be wrong with a person if you can't find them on Facebook or Linked In.

For years I only used my initials and surname on my resume and correspondence when job hunting. As a female applying for work in a male dominated industry, I intentionally left my gender ambiguous so I wouldn't automatically be disqualified...yes it's illegal and yes it happens. I showed up for one interview and got "Oh, you're a woman!" from the owner. She was actually excited that I wasn't a guy, and too bad for the guys that might have applied and never got a fair chance.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
The information from LinkedIn is probably sold to hundreds of the largest companies. They have profiles on us for sure.
I wouldn't doubt it for a second. Apply for a job at a larger company and they probably already have access to a dossier on you, scoured from the internet, to fact check and validate your authenticity.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:58 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I wouldn't think about trying to find a job through them.

I only joined them briefly to apply for 1 job that ONLY took apps that way. I then removed the account. No I didn't get the job if you wondered.

Old 04-13-2024, 11:22 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,545 times
I've had a LinkedIn account for years, it has never pointed me towards any ,"leads" however it does serve as a good backlink to my blog.

Also, a few people are in my network, including one first cousin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search